PDA

View Full Version : Running a lathe was fun today

dalee100
12-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi,

I've gotten up everyday for the last 20+ years to make chips. I've spent quality time with mills, lathes, grinders, even big ugly Blanchard's. It's been a job.

But today I made a simple little boring bar holder for my little 8x14 HF lathe. Making chips hasn't been this fun in years.:D

dalee

Gravy
12-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi,

I've gotten up everyday for the last 20+ years to make chips. I've spent quality time with mills, lathes, grinders, even big ugly Blanchard's. It's been a job.

But today I made a simple little boring bar holder for my little 8x14 HF lathe. Making chips hasn't been this fun in years.:D

dalee

Hooray! ;) I got to have fun with mine, too!

clutch
12-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Making something for yourself in this day and age is a standing on your hind feet, I'm a man experience.

Good for you!

Clutch

darryl
12-16-2010, 09:07 PM
I can relate. Electronics was my hobby, then it became my work, now I've lost the satisfaction in doing it as a hobby. I don't want to get that way with my home shop activities. I would not want to do metalworking as a job.

gary350
12-16-2010, 09:52 PM
I can relate. Electronics was my hobby, then it became my work, now I've lost the satisfaction in doing it as a hobby. I don't want to get that way with my home shop activities. I would not want to do metalworking as a job.

Any time a hobby turns into work it is no longer fun.

Mark Hockett
12-16-2010, 10:14 PM
I have a shop full of CNC equipment that I run everyday to make a living, but I still really enjoy running my 7 X 12 manual mini lathe. The last little steam engine I built I did most of it on the mini lathe.

woodspinner
12-16-2010, 10:54 PM
I had a woodworking hobby but started selling and building things for money.
That was it, it wasn't fun anymore it was a job.Now I do woodturning and some
woodworking for me and my wife only back to loving it.
Started this machine stuff to repair and make woodturning tools,making chips
WOOD or METAL it's fun fun fun and I like it ..:D :D :D

WOODSPINNER

Black Forest
12-17-2010, 04:14 AM
I absolutely can relate to the job vs. hobby thing you are talking about. Only for me it was horses not machining.

Finally I said it was enough and I only will work with my own horses for me not as a business. The fun is back!

Dale Lusby
12-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Glad to hear you're still enjoying it after all these years. Nothing like making a tool for a tool.

Didn't get to play with my lathe today although I did clean it while I ran some aluminum through my metal shaper. I had some rough inguts I cast last year and wanted to get them nice and clean. Every now and then I like to sit and watch the chips fly off the shaper. I'm so easily entertained.

jugs
12-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Glad to hear you're still enjoying it after all these years. Nothing like making a tool for a tool.

Didn't get to play with my lathe today although I did clean it while I ran some aluminum through my metal shaper. I had some rough inguts I cast last year and wanted to get them nice and clean. Every now and then I like to sit and watch the chips fly off the shaper. I'm so easily entertained.

& so much cheaper than Las Vagas :D

john
:)

madwilliamflint
12-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Indeed. I came at this whole thing from that direction as well. Substitute programming for electronics.

The day my lathe and miller showed up I gave up programming as a hobby. (Still have to figure out what to do with my library.)

photomankc
12-17-2010, 11:09 AM
You know it's funny. I was never really mechanically inclined so to speak or a 'fix-it' person. I simply went out and bought the item that matched closest to what I wanted or needed. I bumped into this hobby only as a means to build more sophisticated electronics projects, enclosures, and be able to drill my PC boards accurately. That was a year ago and involved the purchase of an X2 mini-mill. Now that has been traded up for a BF20 mill, 10x22 lathe, bench grinder, chop saw, drill press, and I would kill to have a surface grinder.

I have largely forgotten electronics though I expect to go back once I have my conversion of the mill to CNC complete but I have suddenly found that I LOVE the ability to look at something and see how I could adapt it, modify it, or replace it with my own parts and work. It would never have occured to me in a million years that this would have been of any interest to me at all but once I got into it I was facinated by it.

Yes, making work out of hobbies is a certain way to kill the joy of them. It stops being about doing what you enjoy and starts being about doing what someone else wants. A lot of people pressure me to take my photography and go into business. I doubt I ever will. I may be able to sell some of the photos I take for myself, but that will be the extent of it. I enjoy going places and getting the photos I like, I would not enjoy being forced to take this type of picture because that's what sells.

dalee100
12-17-2010, 12:54 PM
I have a shop full of CNC equipment that I run everyday to make a living, but I still really enjoy running my 7 X 12 manual mini lathe. The last little steam engine I built I did most of it on the mini lathe.

Hi,

I'm looking forward to doing similar things. Always wanted to make a model engine or two. Still getting set up and tooled up though.

I guess I'm maybe a bit different than most. I have genuinely enjoyed, (for the most part:D ), being a machinist for a large part of my professional life. Been pretty lucky to have worked in some good shops. I have tooling I've made and whole machines I've built spread all over this planet.

But I can't do it for a living anymore. Got hurt a year ago and my right shoulder and arm can't take the opening and closing of vices and chucks a hundred times a day anymore. At least not at the pace needed to make a living at it. So this will be a connection to what I like to do but can't anymore.

dalee