PDA

View Full Version : Old Southbend instructional movies

Bob Pastor
12-17-2010, 01:34 AM
I have copies of some Old Southbend instructional movies, that just might interest some of us older guys. I've posted them on youtube. The link attached will take you to the first one. The rest of them are in my folder there. Just click on the other videos by poster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7xdGhomc4

Bob

doctor demo
12-17-2010, 02:48 AM
Interesting vids, safety glasses removed for instructional purposes only?
All kidding aside nice old vids.
Steve

logic
12-17-2010, 03:19 AM
Thanks for sharing these, always a pleasure to see these older videos. :)

Patrick

AllThumbz
12-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Bob,

Thank you so much for posting those- they are great to watch, even if outdated. I used to have them on a disc somewhere, but lost them....

firbikrhd1
12-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Thank you for posting these videos. I always enjoy seeing old videos of this type and always seem to learn something from them even if I have read several books on the subject. There's no substitute for visual aids.

Bob Pastor
12-17-2010, 12:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-zap1Q3nI

I thought this one was one of the better ones at explaining and showing the HSS tool blank and exactly what each part of the grinded parts are. Clear pictures of the geometry will help the novice get a better grasp also. Why a centerline set up is used was good also.

Being able to grind that special tool for the odd project is always a plus, but most of my turning is done with the HSS inserts from the Warner co. I just got finished collecting the last of 26 kits they make.

Bob

gwilson
12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd love to have the lathe he was using in the same condition as it was in the film!! I enjoy the old films too.

aboard_epsilon
12-17-2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-zap1Q3nI

I thought this one was one of the better ones at explaining and showing the HSS tool blank and exactly what each part of the grinded parts are. Clear pictures of the geometry will help the novice get a better grasp also. Why a centerline set up is used was good also.

Being able to grind that special tool for the odd project is always a plus, but most of my turning is done with the HSS inserts from the Warner co. I just got finished collecting the last of 26 kits they make.

Bob

what you got to remember though ..is that video is for a rocker tool post that holds the tool in an up-wards direction.

many do not have these tool posts and their tool is horizontal ..if they were to sharpen their cutting tools to those profiles ..then the would end up with the wrong profile ..

most of the profiles shown in books and on the net including i think "know your lathe" book are wrong for a horizontally mounted tool...this caught me out for a while before i realised that these rocker posts existed .

how many people bother with those tool posts today .

all the best.markj

Bob Pastor
12-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi Mark,

I've got several lathes. One is a 1941 16" Southbend. I was lucky and got a whole box of rocker style tool posts. What I did was, take a set of tool holders and milled the shank to fit the rocker tool post. That way I'm able to use the HSS inserts from the warner co. The set up works like a charm and I can keep the lathe original, instead of using an Aloris type system.

When I use the 1941 Southbend I feel like I'm going back in time. My wife even bought me an old style cap and apron to wear while I'm using it. She took some black and white photos of me operating the lathe and you'd swear the photo was taken back in the 40's.

Bob

gwilson
12-17-2010, 02:53 PM
If you ever get a modern Aloris type tool post,you will at once find out the lathe is A LOT more solid cutting. You will never go back to the old tool post.

justanengineer
12-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Nice videos. I had seen these advertised in the back of "how to run a lathe" but never saw them and was always curious.

I think the negativity that surrounds lantern tool posts is funny. There are benefits and drawbacks with everything in life. Personally I prefer lanterns. Theyre much more flexible than a qctp due to size and ability to reach into smaller areas, you lose hardly any rigidity if setup/sized properly, and best of all theyre cheap. If you use them regularly you also can change tools just as quick as with the newer style posts. Im not into quantity production, and have been in several prototype shops where theyre used daily. Arguing lantern vs qctp for me is like arguing hss vs carbide - they each have their own advantages and one is not better than the other.

aboard_epsilon
12-17-2010, 05:32 PM
wasnt saying they where bad ..just saying that nearly all tips and info on how to sharpen cutters are for them ..

just pointing out so people dont have to scrach their head wondering ..like i did for a few months when i first started ..its never pointed out when they show these things .

all the best.markj

lynnl
12-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Me too. Thanks for the link.

Say, I watched one by Tubal Cain, who I always thought was a Brit. But his speech sounded Nth American (US or Canadian), with only a very slight accent strange to me.
Anybody know where he's from?

Bob Pastor
12-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I believe Tubal is from Indiana or Ohio. He is the original "Old Buggy Whip Maker"

Bob

J. Randall
12-17-2010, 10:47 PM
I like my lantern tool post, and I have the holders with the built in rake, and also have them for carbide with a neutral angle. If you have an aloris style post and a bunch of hss bits ground for the lantern style just make your own tool block to fit it with the angle built into the block.

I started out on an old flexible 10" Atlas, and if that had been my only experience I would also cuss the lantern style holders. I now have a lathe that is much more rigid,and find that good work can be done with either system. It comes down more to picking the best one for the job at hand in my opinion.
James

gwilson
12-17-2010, 11:02 PM
I used a very extra heavy duty lantern tool post that I had made,on my 16" lathe,thinking it was a good rig. When I got an Aloris,my eyes were opened. I can make tool changes in a few seconds just by dropping on a new tool holder. The Aloris is MUCH faster,infinitely more rigid,and better in every way to the old style lantern tool post.

I can make things(and money) MUCH faster with the Aloris.

gordsgarage
12-18-2010, 12:27 AM
Very cool videos, thanks for posting.

Gord