PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly mill G3616

gbritnell
12-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Awhile back I posted a question regarding this mill. I have since had some email conversations with Grizzly asking about the grade of the spindle bearings. I got a reply the other day stating that the bearings are 'D' or P5. I did some internet searching and have come up with somewhat of a match to ABEC ratings and supposedly a P5 is comparable to an ABEC 5. The numbers from the 2 grading systems are like American and Japanese spark plugs, one goes up and the other goes down.
My question is, if in fact they are comparable to ABEC 5 is this a reasonable bearing set or should I be looking at something else?
Thanks,
gbritnell

squirrel
12-17-2010, 11:21 PM
You can keep looking until you lose interest in buying a mill.

Its very hard to make a decision on the import stuff, they are all from a handfull of factories over their. Some are extremely high priced and others priced where they should be. A fancy paint job and a couple of decals that say Knuth or whatever will make the price jump.

For hobby and occasional use they will all work fine. Just buy one and have a ton of fun and fulfilment making chips.

Arthur.Marks
12-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Agreed.

Here's the spec's: http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?maincatalogue=1&lang=en&newlink=1_0_53
You're talking the difference between 5-7 microns (P5) and 2.5-3 microns (P4). To put that in perspective, that is P5 = 0.0002-0.00028" vs. P4 = 0.000098-0.00012" :eek:

I'll let you decide. :D