PDA

View Full Version : Quill movement

QSIMDO
12-18-2010, 05:45 PM
While doing some boring today I happened to get in just the right position to notice the quill shucking back & forth in the mill head.
(Z45 Industrial Hobbies gear head)

Not much but noticeable none the less.

I recited some phrases I learned in the Navy but to no avail, it just kept right on with every revolution.

Is this something that happens with relative enough frequency to be subject to a "oh, hell, THAT ole problem...stuff a rag in it!" type of cure?

Or should I expect sympathy cards?

All in all, today was one of those days that just a wink and a smile would have pissed me off so be gentle.

TGTool
12-18-2010, 06:20 PM
I've noticed that on the mill drill occasionally and it hacks me off too. If I'm milling I've got the quill lock on which takes care of it but it it's something like running a boring head I usually just try to snug up the lock to take out the slack. I know that's just a work around and not a solution but it's all I've got.

loose nut
12-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Round column mill/drills are terrible for this, you just can't tighten the head up enough for it to hold steady while boring. I traded mine in for a square column type and that problem went away. No easy fix if you have that type of machine. Maybe bracing the head up somehow.

It can also be a loose quill.

QSIMDO
12-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Loose nut, mine IS a square column.

I think I'll give Moglice a try.
Give them a call and see what they think.
They mention quill looseness on their site.

loose nut
12-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Better to check out your spindle first there might be a problem with it. My square column bores quite nicely, yours should too.