PDA

View Full Version : Glacern vises

loose nut
12-18-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm thinking about getting a new 4" vise for the mill and the Glacern vises look to be the best value. How do they compare to other brands like Kurts and other high end vises. Kurts are out of my price range.

Davo J
12-19-2010, 12:06 AM
This thread might help you out.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=88569

Dave

DaHui
12-19-2010, 01:41 AM
I just bought two 6" premium vises. Basically clones of the Kurt 3600V I have. They seem great so far but to be honest I haven't done any empirical testing. They do come with 11/16 hardware and my table has 5/8 T-slots.The fit and finish seem nice though. Certainly a bargain for the price. I also have some of their tool holders and they are awesome. Customer service rocks too.

photomankc
12-19-2010, 02:00 AM
I just purchased a 4" GSV-440 and so far I am very pleased with it. When I tested the surfaces on mine they all were well under the advertised spec and compared to the 4" screwless I have been using it is a real joy to be able to clamp without messing around with the cross bolt and allen key. I picked up about 0.001" of lift with a 123 block on parallels but doing the pretty standard tap with a mallet seats it back down firmly. The handle is smooth to open and close.

The casting is a little rounded right at the back of the fixed jaw but otherwise the appearance is fantastic. Almost too pretty to use.

On my BF20 it does interfere with the column because of rear overhang. I called Glacern to inquire if I could safely mill the flange at the rear away and they indicated that was fine and would not impact the warrenty of any other aspect of the vice. Sol is great to speak with and answers questions with no delay.

I can not compare to Kurt's because I will never own a Kurt. I think it was a great vise for the $190 sale price I got it at. No complaints thus far.

Tait
12-19-2010, 09:29 AM
I have the 5" version - love it.

toolmaker76
12-19-2010, 01:47 PM
I also have the 5" version for my Grizzly G1005 mill/drill- thought long and hard about the 4" version, went with the 5 so that I can clamp up a piece of round stock over my Starret v-blocks. I have to hang it out over the edge to fit the mill, but it works just fine.

I have been impressed with the quality of the Glacern vise- seems to be on par with Kurt, and the money is quite a bit less. I have clamped some tough to mill stuff in it already- angle cuts where there is barely anything left in the jaws in order to hold, where the vise has to be almost perfect. The Glacern held it just great.

loose nut
12-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys. It looks like everyone likes there vise's. I would like to get the 6" one but I'm not getting any younger and it's heavy, 88#. I'll have to go with the 4" model, our local dealer (if you call 140 miles away local) only has the 4 and 6" models.

Bolster
12-19-2010, 02:40 PM
I own the 4" Glacern. I've used new 6" Kurts at school, and I don't "feel" a difference, although I think the casting portion at the base may be a bit rougher. As I mentioned in the Chaski thread, I've been told that Glacern vises are "split" manufacture, with the rough work done overseas and the finish work done stateside.

Yes Sol is a pleasure to do business with...you can actually talk to the top-dog at Glacern with no trouble, and he seems to be very customer-centric.

Bolster
12-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh by the way, I did get one minor bit of misinformation from Glacern regarding the keys on the base of the vise...they are in fact NOT hardened and easily machinable. I had to machine my keys down a bit to fit the slots in my X3 table. Now I plop the vise in place and I'm within a couple thou. Nice!

[EDIT] To answer a PM'd question: "What are these key you speak of, might you have a photo?"

There are two keys (rectangles of steel) that you can attach to the bottom of the vise, that fit snugly in the T-slots. They're there so you can quickly mount the vise to the table and be within a couple thou. You can take them off, too...and must, when you use the rotating base.

Tait
12-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys. It looks like everyone likes there vise's. I would like to get the 6" one but I'm not getting any younger and it's heavy, 88#. I'll have to go with the 4" model, our local dealer (if you call 140 miles away local) only has the 4 and 6" models.

May want to call GMT directly - I also found them very approachable and helpful.

DaHui
12-20-2010, 02:20 PM
They keys that came with my 2 vises (a month ago) were most definitely hardened. They are also 11/16 and my table slots are 5/8 (bridgeport and haas). So I had to machine them, which was possible, but I'm not sure I would call it easy ;) My bridgeport really hammered. My haas is really old, so maybe the newer ones are 11/16.

Bolster
12-22-2010, 02:04 AM
My shop teacher tested the Rc of the keys on my Glacern before we machined them. I don't recall the harness but it was low enough that they machined easily.