PDA

View Full Version : OT: Another fine craftsman pursuing a lost art...?

mickeyf
12-19-2010, 08:08 PM
http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/index.html

I suppose with the Internet you can succeed in any niche market. Even the nichiest. :D

MotorradMike
12-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Reminds me of my failed idea for rewinding VHS video tapes.
.80$ per tape, 20% under the rate charged by renters.
Never took off.
Not sure why.
Now pursuing other interests.

Willy
12-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Build a DVD rewinder.
Another untapped market would be turn signal fluid, everybody's got turn signals, where's the fluid?:)
Hey they sold "pet rocks" didn't they?
Create a need.

Weston Bye
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Is that man in the in the photograph wearing safety glasses to sharpen a pencil?? Can't be too careful, I suppose.

DR
12-19-2010, 09:15 PM
$17 for one (?) pencil hand sharpened.

Are there actually people stupid enough to order?

Toolguy
12-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Everyone knows somthing "handmade" is worth more than something machine made. Although precision machined is probably more accurate.

Terry L
12-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Was it W. C. Fields that said: "There's a sucker born every minute" ??

Toolguy
12-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Supposedly that was P.T. Barnum of Barnum and Bailey Circus. W.C. Fields had many memorable sayings though.

gbritnell
12-19-2010, 10:26 PM
If I didn't know better I would have thought it was April 1.
gbritnell

v860rich
12-19-2010, 10:36 PM
I was going to put up a link to my incanescent light bulb rebuilding service, but you guys will only make light of it.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

kyfho
12-19-2010, 10:55 PM
While I am definitely one to appreciate the skills of fine, hand crafted work from a true artisan; since joining here, I have developed an equal appreciation for the dedication and precision of a talented machinist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKL6elkbFy0

gordsgarage
12-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I wonder if he takes requests for specific angles? Some performance specs would be nice. Are there sharpening options to increase pencil tip life? How about if you want just pure performance?:)

winchman
12-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Having had the experience of trying to work with a dull pencil, I can easily see paying mucho for a perfectly sharpened one, but ONLY right when I needed it.

John Stevenson
12-20-2010, 03:58 AM
I'M RICH

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/new%20pointer1.jpg

7,000 per hour @ $17 equals $119,000 per hour.

Now if I had done a 10 hour day for a month solid that would have netted me $35,700,000

Now the big question ? Do I take a couple of days off ?

oldtiffie
12-20-2010, 05:48 AM
OT: Another fine craftsman pursuing a lost art...?

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/index.html

I suppose with the Internet you can succeed in any niche market. Even the nichiest. :D

Only if you've got a pencil that is long enough with lead in it.

oil mac
12-20-2010, 09:51 AM
I have just broken the lead in my pencil.:eek:

madwilliamflint
12-20-2010, 10:29 AM
$17 for a pencil that's sharp for about 2 minutes of use? If that? Sure, it's technically "not a joke" but wow, if someone really did that...

lynnl
12-20-2010, 11:38 AM
[SIZE=6][COLOR=Blue]
Now if I had done a 10 hour day for a month solid that would have netted me $35,700,000

Now the big question ? Do I take a couple of days off ?

No! Absolutely not. You can't afford to take a day off.
Sorry John, but you're going to work yourself into an early grave, simply because you've come up with a TOO GOOD thing.

Such a shame...

JCHannum
12-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Supposedly that was P.T. Barnum of Barnum and Bailey Circus. W.C. Fields had many memorable sayings though.

Among others, the quote has been attributed to a distant relative of mine, David Hannum, who was exhibiting the original Cardiff Giant.

lazlo
12-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Among others, the quote has been attributed to a distant relative of mine, David Hannum, who was exhibiting the original Cardiff Giant.

Ah, that explains it Jim -- you're genetically sucker-resistant! :)

rohart
12-21-2010, 09:22 PM
With fewer people knife sharpening their pencils, and presumably more using pencil sharpeners, the quality control of the wood hardness has gone down.

Lately I find the difference between the hardness of the two halves of the pencil has increased. You slice away at the hard side, and when you move to the other side you take half the pencil off in one go.

But those expensive pencils remind me. In Britain we have a satirical magazine called Private Eye - http://www.private-eye.co.uk/

The link is for the previous edition. The current edition, the Christmas edition, the one that will come up next digitally (next week, maybe) always has a double page spread of ridiculous Christmas gift advertisements. This time there's the Drain-o-Hat that lets the rain water drain out of your trilby through a pipe down your back, and the Vindalometer, that lets you measure how hot your curry is before you eat it. Totally crazy.

PS I suppose we're meant to parse the word artisanal with spaces before and after the 'is' bit ?

darryl
12-22-2010, 01:03 AM
What that pencil sharpener guy hasn't told you is that the lead he's using has been recycled from a nookleer reactor. Also the wood is specially harvested from the forests around chernobyl, and the paint comes from a factory in China. It's the only pencil you can buy that keeps your hand warm. Another bonus is that with a special phosphor coated paper, you can read your notes in the dark! Last but not least, the eraser nibs are specially formulated from ahcrapium, which is CLR encapsulated in microbubbles. No other material can make your mistakes disappear as quickly. At $17, plus shipping and handling of $55, it's a bargain.

Rich Carlstedt
12-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Sorry Sir John, you are not Rich, I am !

But maybe you can help me, I this idea to repair automobiles.
We need to get drivers to have their wheels checked because the air gets tired.

Rich ( in name only)