PDA

View Full Version : OT:need help 1995 monte dash lights and head light issue

airsmith282
12-20-2010, 12:04 AM
ok the dash lights are on soon as the key it turned to the on position even thought the head light swithc is turned to off dash lights and running lights are all all the time when car is running, also no noticable difference between day time running lights and low beams also low beams are not very bright at all, hi beams are freaking amazing and are set fine, when looking at the low beams they are dull even when hi beams are on you can tell the low beams are still to low, night driving sucks on low beams due to the light bulb brightness, alignment of the head lights are where they are supposed to be, but also concerened big time on the fash lights being on all the time when car runing no matter where the head light switch is set, etc..

any help on this would be great,

thanks in advance guys..

Willy
12-20-2010, 01:17 AM
It sounds like you are experiencing a feedback from the daytime running light circuit.

What happens when you remove the daytime running light relay?
This should be under the hood in your power distribution box, if not there may be a "DRL" fuse in the fuse box. I don't have a manual for this car so am just relying on faded memory.;)

This should also set a trouble code in the car's ecm and the "service engine soon" light will come on. This is just a diagnostic step to find the source and will only be temporary until the relay is returned into it's slot.

Edited for spelling.

Thruthefence
12-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Bad Ground somewhere.

The "art" is in finding it.

justanengineer
12-20-2010, 06:18 PM
I dont see a problem. Did this recently start doing this? Your monte's lights are acting exactly how my 99 S10 is from the factory. The only way to keep the lights/dash out with it running is to start it with the parking brake applied. The minute it releases, lights are on and stay on regardless after that.

My 99 Firebird has the same problem with the low beams because it sits so low. Switching from yellow to white bulbs may solve this problem, but I prefer simply to tolerate it.

airsmith282
12-20-2010, 06:49 PM
I dont see a problem. Did this recently start doing this? Your monte's lights are acting exactly how my 99 S10 is from the factory. The only way to keep the lights/dash out with it running is to start it with the parking brake applied. The minute it releases, lights are on and stay on regardless after that.

My 99 Firebird has the same problem with the low beams because it sits so low. Switching from yellow to white bulbs may solve this problem, but I prefer simply to tolerate it.

we dont know when it started,the car just got certifed and on the road,and he did his first bit of driving at night and this is when things started to show. but when the head light switch is OFF then all dash lights are also suposed to be OFF, there should also be a noticeable difference between the light given from day time running lights to regular low beams, he also just tried some night hawk lights today and same results even on the low beams and thoes lights should blind you like bulltets on even the low beam..
also all the running lights aka maker lights tail lights are on even in the day time even when the head light switch is off and so do the dash lights also saty on and should not be on during the day time unless you have the, only the day time head lights shoud be on during the day , but all dash lights and maker lights should be off during the day unless you turn the head lights on via the switch

justanengineer
12-20-2010, 07:27 PM
I would check with the local dealer to see if your dash and running lights are supposed to be off as you say. After asking the parents and a few friends at dinner I can verify mine isnt the only GM vehicle with daytime running lights that act as you describe. A friend also pointed out an earlier mistake of mine - I can turn off the dash lights with the roller dimmer switch or by starting it with the parking brake applied.

As I understand it, the daytime running lights turn on/off automatically via the sensor on the dash. The only purpose of the switch is so you can guarantee the lights are on if it starts to rain on a particularly bright day.

Willy
12-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Just to avoid any confusion I have downloaded a copy of the 1995 Monte Carlo owners manual.
Below are the DRL instructions for the Canadian version of the 1995 Monte Carlo, which after all is what Airsmith is dealing with.

Daytime Running Lamps (Canada Only)
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) make it easier to see
the front of your vehicle during the day. DRL can be
helpful when it’s raining and in the short periods after
dawn and before sunset. Several countries, including
Canada, require DRL.
A light sensor on top of the instrument panel makes the
DRL work, so be sure it isn’t covered.
The DRL system will make your low-beam headlamps
come on at reduced brightness in daylight when:
0 The ignition is on,
0 The headlamp switch is off, and
0 The parking brake is released.
When the DRL are on, only your low-beam headlamps
will be on. The taillamps, sidemarker and other lamps
won’t be on. Your instrument panel won’t be lit up
either.
When it’s dark enough outside, your low-beam
headlamps will change to full brightness. The other
lamps that come on with your headlamps will also come
on.

When it’s bright enough outside, the regular lamps will
go off, and your low-beam headlamps change to the
reduced brightness of DRL.
To idle your vehicle with the DRL off, set the parking
brake while the ignition is in OFF or LOCK. Then start
your vehicle. The DRL will stay off until you release the
parking brake.
As with any vehicle, you should turn on the regular
headlamp system any time you need it.

airsmith282
12-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Just to avoid any confusion I have downloaded a copy of the 1995 Monte Carlo owners manual.
Below are the DRL instructions for the Canadian version of the 1995 Monte Carlo, which after all is what Airsmith is dealing with.

cool stuff willy ok just a small quote here
When the DRL are on, only your low-beam headlamps
will be on. The taillamps, sidemarker and other lamps
wonít be on. Your instrument panel wonít be lit up
either.
When itís dark enough outside, your low-beam
headlamps will change to full brightness. The other
lamps that come on with your headlamps will also come

ok our low beams for nite time dont get brigher even when the light switch is turnned on,, problem 1problem 2 the cluster and then out side makers and tail lights are on all the time no matter what position or lighing condition out side,

thanks for the info now we have a base at which to do some extra trouble shooting, ,
PS i hate Day time safty junk and ABS junk..

thanks again
merry christmas
also thanks to all the others to , for your input