PDA

View Full Version : Freight around Australia

form_change
12-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Most of the second hand bits and pieces I buy are in the Eastern states and so as part of the deal I have to pay for someone to cart them to Adelaide for me. I thought I had a reasonable solution for this but the current freight company has taken 3 weeks and still has not delivered a dividing head from Sydney to here (I figure around 2 to 3 days via road), part of that due to losing my order - they'd taken the money but hadn't gotten around to picking up the item...
Anyone in Oz got a recommendation? I need someone that doesn't mind small jobs, will take a credit card and does contact you if there are difficulties.

Thanks,
Michael

oldtiffie
12-20-2010, 09:50 PM
I've had excellent results from Membrey Transport.

I could not have done better if I wrote a spec for it.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&biw=1255&bih=469&&sa=X&ei=PgcQTfGSAYnKvQOM5bzNDQ&ved=0CBcQBSgA&q=membrey+transport&spell=1&fp=42c33c885e5e233

.RC.
12-20-2010, 10:34 PM
There is no freight company that will do what you require...

And if you do find one you will find they are quite expensive.. Generally it is pot luck so always always insure your item...

The Artful Bodger
12-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Michael, I guess Australia is not too unlike NZ. The problem we have here is that the transport and trucking companies will only send small(ish) items when there is space on the truck and someone thinks about putting them on.

If we want to send something small we can either use a courier company which will be quite speedy but also expensive or we can call around the likely bus companies etc then take the package and put it in the back of the bus ourselves and have someone at the other end to meet the bus.

Not much help am I?:)

AussieChris
12-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Michael,

Check out Trans Direct. Itís an online parcel delivery mob. I havenít used them but my mate has done plenty of times and is more than satisfied with the service and price. Heís used them when buying stuff on ebay where the seller says local pickup only.

Easy to use Ė get a quick online quote, pay, then receive an email with a receipt and consignment note attached. Then email the con-note to the supplier for them to attach to the box.

This is them... http://www.transdirect.com.au/

Usual disclaimers.

Chris
Brisbane Australia.

bob ward
12-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Couriers Please are good for small stuff going major city to major city, you will have to read their fine print to find the limits of their system, 50kg maybe?? If your suppliers are businesses it odds on that they will already be part of the Couriers Please system, which means you don't need to do anything other than ask them to send it on Couriers Please.

Otherwise you will need to register yourself with Couriers Please and pre-buy some of their dockets.

.RC.
12-21-2010, 01:08 AM
My advice is try not to choose e-go... You can not contact them by phone if anything goes wrong they are email only...

wbleeker
12-21-2010, 01:20 AM
I have just sold some items on Ebay one is going to Victoria and the other two to QLD, they were advertised as pickup only. I will box and organise the smallest item as it is only thirty kilos or so, the others, pickup is being organised by the buyers.
I sold a Denbigh milling machine to a bloke up near Noosa once, palletised it weighed around 800 kilos and from memory NQX charged 400 dollars to freight it, but they wont deal with an individual, it has to be a business.
Will

form_change
12-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks guys - a couple there to investigate. The account thing is the real killer - most of the couriers don't want to know you if you are not a business

Michael

moe1942
12-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Not enough business in australia for the brown trucks (UPS)??

Greg Q
12-21-2010, 08:42 AM
UPS is kind of on the nose here. They use contractors, they have huge import brokerage fees when USPS comes in free. And they are expensive.
5% unemployment here means we still usually get bozos in jobs like that.

lazlo
12-21-2010, 11:07 AM
My package to Machtool finally got to Victoria by USPS/International Mail. It took over a month.

form_change
12-21-2010, 03:59 PM
A month from the US is around the top limit. McMaster send to me via DHL and it takes around a week; other shippers (Amazon etc) take a week or two.

Smaller stuff (under say 15kg/ 30 lbs) can be sent via Australia Post and I've had Simon National do machines for me very well. It's the medium things that are the problem (15kg to say 100kg) that are the problem. Too heavy for the post but not heavy/ big enough to interest a trucking concern.

Michael

The Artful Bodger
12-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Smaller stuff (under say 15kg/ 30 lbs) can be sent via Australia Post and I've had Simon National do machines for me very well. It's the medium things that are the problem (15kg to say 100kg) that are the problem. Too heavy for the post but not heavy/ big enough to interest a trucking concern.

Michael

Pretty much the same on Shakey Islands, thats why I say check the bus companies. The first bus company I clicked on came up with this

We provide an extremely efficient service to the business and private sectors. Whether it is a letter that needs to be available in the next Town, a suitcase across the country, business goods into remote or provincial areas, or Christmas presents and gifts, we will carry your parcel or product with due care and safety.

http://www.greyhound.com.au/Bookings/freight.aspx

bollie7
12-21-2010, 06:44 PM
speaking of Greyhound buses, I quite often see them here in Newcastle. A couple of them have Qld rego. One has a number plate with the letters DOG and another has PUP. Someone in the company has a sense of humour.
bollie7

mike4
12-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Thanks guys - a couple there to investigate. The account thing is the real killer - most of the couriers don't want to know you if you are not a business

Michael

I have used several small carriers for items which required a pallet or two to transport them , all I have done is to check on private trucking companies in the area where the machine or parts are and arrange with them to get it to you sometimes it may take a couple of weeks to come from Sydney /Newcastle region to Central Qld but for $250 to $400.00 for two tons is ok as it would have cost me far more to drive down and collect them myself , time away from work and fuel etc.

NQX are reasonable if you know someone in a business and arrange with the business to get the item sent to them and you pay the costs .

Michael

oldtiffie
12-22-2010, 05:05 AM
A month from the US is around the top limit. McMaster send to me via DHL and it takes around a week; other shippers (Amazon etc) take a week or two.

Michael

Interesting post Michael.

I was advised by McMaster-Carr (USA) not all that long ago, that they were no longer selling product to OZ and others outside the USA.

I take it that situation/policy has since been retracted.

Any advise please?

form_change
12-22-2010, 05:25 AM
I've never been told by McMaster that they don't want my money - I place orders and they fill them for me.
It might help that I have things sent to my work address and I don't order anything until the potential order is a reasonable size (say $75 or more). I keep a "McMaster" list in a drawer for this reason. It means that I only place an order 3 or 4 times a year but for a supply company little orders are a pain. I also try not to go too long without placing an order so I don't get classed as inactive. I figure as long as I make it worthwhile for them I shouldn't get dumped.
I hope I haven't jinxed things...

oldtiffie
12-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Michael.

It seems that I was wrong as regards McM-C as they ere not taking on new orders or customers from over-seas but established customers of which it seems you are one.

BusyBee (Canada) seems to refuse all overseas orders.

Here are the emails from BusyBee (Canada) and McMaster-Carr (USA):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22 August 2009
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your email.

We regret we do not ship out of Canada.

We appreciate your interest in our products.

Please reply to busybee@busybeetools.com
Attention: Customer Service

Sent: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 23:48:29 +1000
Subject: Export to Australia

For:

Busy Bee

Canada.

Please advise me as to whether or not Busy Bee can export tools or spares etc. to Australia and if so, where will I find the postage and handling and customs/impost duty (if applicable).

my name and address panel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 18 August 2009 1:11 AM

To: me

Subject: Your order with McMaster-Carr

Me,

Due to the ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr has decided to only accept orders from a few, long-established customers of ours overseas. We cannot accept your order and regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Regards,

Tracy

I have no trouble with any other dealers in the USA (and there are a few) or the UK or Europe.

.RC.
12-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Yes those damn export regulations like... hmmmmmmmm.... wait I will think of one soon...