PDA

View Full Version : Bout darn time - shameless gloat

snowman
12-22-2010, 12:12 PM
So after the month I've had, I deserved this one.

Just got back from the scrap yard.

Atlas 12" with quick change threading gearbox for $79.50

Could have gotten the stand, but frankly, didn't want it.

Thankfully, selling the threading gearbox off of it will pay for my cars engine that blew up two weeks ago.

snowman
12-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Gloats just aren't the same without pics.

http://www.homeshoptooling.com/pics/atlas1.jpg

http://www.homeshoptooling.com/pics/atlas2.jpg

I got it muscled to the basement...not an easy task.

I have the tailstock, but I took it off. It was used in an industrial atmosphere, which is why I left the base at the scrap yard, it was dented to heck. Far from pristine, so I have no problem selling off a bunch of the little parts. I'm going to convert the body to CNC. Should hopefully be able to buy a few more stepper drivers and wind up breaking even on the conversion.

gwilson
12-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I never could take off more than about 1/32" on steel with my Craftsman of the same model. Be careful of what you expect the lathe to do via CNC or you might break it.

gzig5
12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
I never could take off more than about 1/32" on steel with my Craftsman of the same model. Be careful of what you expect the lathe to do via CNC or you might break it.

I've not had that problem with my 12" and have taken 3/16" cuts in steel in back gear, but with CNC what does it matter? It's just a few more ones and zeros and seconds to get to the end while you enjoy a beverage or do something useful. That one looks like it was rode hard and put up wet. Watch for bed wear up front.

AllThumbz
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Very nice grab snowman!
(and right before the holiday!)

I'd be interested to see your restoral of it.

Nelson

BridgeportBill
12-22-2010, 05:35 PM
I have the 12x36 Craftsman Commercial that looks just like that one and have not problems taking .25 DOC on steel. I think it is a great lathe. I also have a SB 13x36 so I know what heavy iron is. If it works now why part it out. It can be a good lathe.

snowman
12-22-2010, 07:42 PM
If it works now why part it out. It can be a good lathe.
It'll still be a good lathe, just won't have all the parts your's has.

I was lucky to happen upon it, the whole pile was about to get loaded up.

Unfortunately, the DoAll bandsaw went...it was too big to get in my garage though.

gwilson
12-22-2010, 07:52 PM
I had trouble with wearing the pot metal half nuts out. I meant to make some from brass,but got a better lathe.

Fasttrack
12-22-2010, 08:23 PM
I mis-read the title. I thought it said "shameless goat". I was all prepared for the ensuing hilarity. Oh well...

That's an excellent gloat, indeed! You should be able to get your $80 back just selling the parts you don't need, no doubt about it!

vpt
12-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Nice score! I like my 10" atlas, does everything I have needed to do so far.