PDA

View Full Version : Hertel Insert ID?

Willy
12-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Just doing my yearly cleanup of a toolbox which is dedicated to the machining end of my shop and came across a couple of boxes of Hertel inserts which I cannot identify.

The grades in question are HC210 and ICP55.

I usually consider myself well organized in this respect but so far I have not been able to ID these two types of insert grades. I can't seem to find a catalog listing these inserts, and I have a bunch, maybe that's the problem.... in all my junk I haven't found the right catalog yet.:o

Does anybody put out a comprehensive crossover chart that IDs insert manufacturer's insert numbers to actual grade numbers?

PixMan
12-22-2010, 08:20 PM
I've got a TON of that kind of data, but I also cannot find those grades.

No telling for sure, but I'd wager that the ICP55 is an ISO P5 class of carbide for steels, ferritic and martensitic stainless. The HC210 is anyone's guess. Might be something for high temp alloys.

A lot can be told from the kind of edge prep and coating that may be on the inserts. A TiN or TiCN coated insert is usually gold in color. An insert coated with TiAlN would tend to be black or dark gray, sometimes even a purple hue.

Got any photos? Chances are the inserts will have a "twin" in the Kennametal catalog because Kennametal has owned Hertel for a long time and sold some of their inserts in the NA market under the Kennametal brand.

Willy
12-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the help PixMan.
I looked in all of my Kennametal catalogs hoping to find some mention of the Hertel grades, but I didn't find any reference to them.

I believe someone gave them to me last year in hopes that I could use them in a 45 face mill. They are both TiN coated SPGT inserts with a counter sunk hole and a chip breaker.

After a whole bunch of Googling I ran into a couple of MSC pages that although they are not the exact insert, it at least gave me at a little more info as to the type of grade.

Here is the page relating to HC210:
http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=17582674

Not that I looked all night but the only reference to the ICP55 insert grade that I found was an Interstate ICP55 also on MSC's site.
I am assuming, (I know), that the ICP55 grade is common to Hertel and Interstate.
http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=17694461

I guess I'll find out when the carbide hits the metal.:)

PixMan
12-23-2010, 07:23 AM
I get a kick out of that page for the ICP55 grade insert where it says "gold coated". Can you imagine we have machinists that would actually think we have tools coated with GOLD?? Imagine that, gold-coated drills, end mills and now inserts!

Congrats on finding some of the inserts. Those are both turning inserts, so we haven't learned anything about the grade characteristics. If you're certain that you have SPGT inserts, they might be milling inserts but more likely turning grades meant for smooth, continuous cutting.

As you said, the only way to find out is to start cutting some metal. I just hope it's nothing important or needed soon. You might be playing for a while to get something that works.

Have you tried calling Hertel? I'm sure they'd have a tech support person to tell you what you have there.