PDA

View Full Version : Got fired from Denny's restaruant.

gary350
12-22-2010, 07:22 PM
When I was in college I worked at Denny's restaraunt. The manager that hired me transfered and the new manager Mr Young was hard to get along with. I worked first shift had only been there about 3 weeks. One day it was my turn to make soup of the day. I was told by the manager to make soup on a certain page of Denny's cook book. I was going down the list putting things 1 by 1 in the large pot when the next thing to add was 1 cup of salt. I was not a great cook in those days but I knew enough not to put 1 cup of salt in a 3 gallon pot of soup. The manager told me to make it exactly like the recipe so I decided I better double check and ask him. Well it made him mad that I asked he when off on me telling me those are proven recipes all the Denny's restaruants all over USA uses those so don't make any changes, make it exactly like the recipe. OK........will do! I put in 1 cup of salt and finished and let it cook. At lunch time people ordered soup of the day then complained it had too much salt. The manager was mad as hell after tasting the soup and he went off on me. I showed him the recipe and reminded him that I tried to ask if 1 cup salt is correct but you insisted the recipes are all correct don't bother me. He yelled you should know better than to put 1 cup of salt in a pot of soup. I yelled I do know better that is why I tried to ask you. Mr Young fired me on the spot.

It was not funny then but it is now.

Tony Ennis
12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Mr. Young's punishment, beyond being a manager at a Denny's, was to be Mr. Young.

Willy
12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro union by any means, but it's a**holes like your Mr. Young that inspired the concept of unions.:D

Merry Christmas Gary:)

plastikosmd
12-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Never been fired but have did quit one job, waiter. phew, dunno how waitstaff do it, lasted 2 weeks

bobw53
12-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Back in college, I had a boss that was just a miserable, spiteful, hateful B!tch. She fired 52 people in just over 6 months, and there was only 15-20 employees total in the department at any given time.

One day she decided that I didn't get a break, even though I was entitled to one. So she drug me around the kitchen pointing out all the things that were dirty or hadn't been finished yet.

Then she yelled at me "who's fault is that"?

I calmly replied, "its your fault, you're the supervisor"

I didn't get fired, but I did get my hours cut down to 3 a week for a while.

She quit just before getting fired, but she did get fired at her next job. HAHAHA

sasquatch
12-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Re:"It,s your fault, your,e the supervisor"!!!

Ha Ha Ha!!! A Great response, love that one!!

In my younger years i got fired a couple of times, then, Who cared,,,,, get fired , and could be back working in those days for another outfit within 4-12 hours!!
Worked for some real dipsticks, but i also worked for a bunch of real fun bosses, great guys all around.

darryl
12-22-2010, 08:45 PM
I got- lets say 'terminated' from a job Id had for more than twenty years- for insubordination. The appointed manager was an idiot, and I was the 'go to' guy for the other employees for their 'second opinions'. One guy was told to do a job a certain way, which he knew wasn't going to work. He asked me, I looked it over and told him it wasn't going to work like that. Confirmed, he took it back to the manager and got chewed for questioning it. He did the job, it didn't work- he went back to the manager to get more 'advice'. This was all in the name of selling more 'accessories' to pad the price of the job. The customer was not impressed and the installer was blamed. I took it upon myself to make sure the installer did his jobs in ways that would work, in other words properly, and in agreement with what he knew would work also. Most of the time it was at odds with how the 'manager' wanted it done.

In hindsight, the manager got a pretty good amount of respect for his position, but he was an idiot and deserved probably more insult than he actually got. He called me in for a 'private meeting' one day, which I knew was to chastise me for going over his head. I said to him, just talk to me here, everyone else knows what it's all about anyway. The next day the boss handed me a letter, and I just smiled. Within the next couple of weeks I was on my way to california- road trip- had a great time, camped at La Push on the washington coast, went down as far as Tijuana- got rid of all that bs stress.

DR
12-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro union by any means, but it's a**holes like your Mr. Young that inspired the concept of unions.:D

Merry Christmas Gary:)

Only time I was ever fired was from a summer job at a union cement plant.

A bunch of us were hired to help with the summer maintenance on the plant. After two weeks on the job this big burly foreman took each of us aside and told us to slow down. We were making the "lifers" look bad.

Here we were a bunch of young guys who'd been cramped up in school all year. For us the physical labor outside was like fun. I told Mr. Union foreman to f-off. I was the first to go.

Mike Burdick
12-22-2010, 09:14 PM
gary350,

Great story - thanks for posting it! Just curious though... what prompted you to tell it?

Bill736
12-22-2010, 09:18 PM
In an effort to save this thread from death by boredom, I ask you this ; what do you call leftover soup de jour ? And another thing, why is it " back and forth" when it should be forth and back ? And why aren't socks sold in sets of three, so when you lose one you still have a pair ? And where do all of my right hand gloves go ? Perhaps the same place where all of my combs and ball point pens go . And who is the " they" in "they say" ?
And why do we squeeze every last molecule of toothpaste out of a tube (men only) , but then pay $3 at a bar for a 90 cent bottle of beer ?
Indeed, such questions are the hobgoblins of small minds , and as such I brood over them incessantly.

KiddZimaHater
12-22-2010, 09:26 PM
pay $3 at a bar for a 90 cent bottle of beer ?
HA!! ..That's nuthin' !!
Try going to any professional sporting event, and paying $14 for an 8 ounce beer.:eek: GO SPURS!!! :)

tdkkart
12-22-2010, 09:28 PM
In 30 years of working, never been fired from a job.......but had some interesting experiences.

While I was going to tech school in Minneapolis I begrudgingly took a job at a Burger King. Jobs were tough to get, I needed a job, and my roommate worked there.
This place had a payroll of over 125 people with a huge turnover. I was there 8 months and only 8-10 people, including management, had been longer than I had.
I finally got tired of the idiots I worked with and for, blew a gasket on a couple people that had it coming, and told the boss I was quitting. Boss takes me to the office and convinces me that rather than quitting I should take a couple weeks off, cool down and come back. He said, "jobs are tough to get, you got this one, you may nt find another".
He didn't want to lose me, I was the only one he had that he had never had to call in a replacement for when I didn't show up. I agreed to take some time off.

45 minutes later I walked back in and turned in my stuff, I had another job that paid better and was way more my style.

x39
12-22-2010, 09:35 PM
In the early eighties I was working in a factory that made weapons components. One day I was given the job of building a large test fixture. The whole works was to be built on a piece of aluminum plate about three feet square and two inches thick. All the rest of the pieces that went on the plate were to be made of the same material. They gave me a pile of metal and a comic strip and I sat down and looked it over. The outside dimensions of the plate called for a tolerance of +/- 1/32". I threw a tape on it and discovered the big piece of plate was 1/16" over the specified dimension. Given the nature of our work, we were on a need to know basis and I had no idea where this thing was going to wind up, whether the plate had to fit in a recess or whether it fit air. Anyway, the only way to get that small of an amount off the plate and bring it into tolerance was a quick pass on a milling machine. I set it up and was taking a cut when my boss came walking by. He stopped and asked in a loud voice "What the F##K are you doing? That's a saw cut dimension, it doesn't need to be machined!" and after some more personal invective, he stormed off without giving me a chance to explain what I was doing. I was disgruntled. I finished the cut and took the part and the print back to my bench to plan the next operation. While studying the print I discovered an error on the part of the engineering dept. The print called for several series of maybe a dozen holes to allow mounting of other components, each hole was to be a given distance apart, plus or minus .010". The drawing for the mating part was dimensioned similarly. In other words, the dimensions were from hole to hole. Well, I drilled all the hole spacing in the mounting plate such that the dimension between each hole was .008" over the nominal dimension, and all the hole spacing on the mating parts were .008" under the nominal dimension, the net result being such an accumulation of error that the parts wouldn't fit together. I finished the job on a Friday afternoon, and punched out. My boss tried to put it together after I left and had a fit of apoplexy, threatening to have me fired (friends of mine witnessed this). He loaded the whole works onto a handtruck and trundled on down to QC and left it in their capable hands, figuring they'd provide documentation for his complaint against me. QC verified that the parts were within spec. There wasn't a thing my boss could do to me. He knew he'd been had and never gave me any crap again though.

tumutbound
12-22-2010, 09:47 PM
I've walked out of a few jobs when I was younger but the only job I was fired from was the Airforce (RAAF).
They decided that obeying stupid, pointless commands immediately and exactly as told was more important than actually doing the job they had trained me for (electronics).
I made the mistake more than once of asking 'Why?' :)

Bill736
12-22-2010, 09:55 PM
HA!! ..That's nuthin' !!
Try going to any professional sporting event, and paying $14 for an 8 ounce beer.:eek: GO SPURS!!! :)

Why do I bother ?

Liger Zero
12-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Know what a Timesaver machine does? It's a beltsander and brush arrangement mounted over a moving rubber belt. By adjusting various speeds and heights you can get some very very nice surface finishes on sheet-metal. You can put coarse belts in and grind slag/burrs too.

What you CANNOT do is use it as a thickness plainer. The spec calls for .120, we had .150 they expected me to sand it into tolerance.

Nor can you expect to "buff out" .009 deep gouge on a chunk of stainless using a 120 grit belt.

Once we got that established they started bringing me very intricate parts that needed specified grain directions. Parts smaller than the minimum size spec for the machine.

SOP was to build a fixture... which I did. I was reamed and ripped for using the milling machine "without permission."

Next one I built out of strips of steel from the bin, which I spot-welded. Again, I was raped by the bosses for using equipment.

Finally Das UberBoss comes out and says he's going to show me how to run the machine without a fixture. Proceeds to launch some fancy aerospace parts THROUGH the timesaver at high speed blasting them into the cement wall. First off all there are huge divots the belt grabbed, rounded off edges and of course hitting the wall at several MPH totally distorted the parts beyond salvage.

After this, we all had a meeting. Two of five bosses wanted me fired on the spot for destroying those parts (!) , the other three wanted to know why Das UberBoss was even out on the shop floor interfering with production, and the owner had no ****ing clue what was going on.

It was decided... between two bosses, Das UberBoss and the owner that I was not qualified to operate the timesaver, the mills, the spotwelder, the press brakes or any other machine in the plant including basic hand tools. They based this on my appearance (too young), my voice (again too young), lack of body mass (too weak) and the fact that I rode a bike to work (indicates some form of substance abuse.)

Final decision was even though I ruined those parts (!) I was permitted to stay on as grounds-keeper/janitor at minimum wage.

I drive by there from time to time looking at the for-sale sign out front. I wonder what happened to all the crappy Niagara machinery they had in there. I know the CNCs fetched a pretty penny at auction, but the rest of it was crap.

Be a great place to house my molding business some day.

MotorradMike
12-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Know what a Timesaver machine does? It's a beltsander and brush arrangement mounted over a moving rubber belt. By adjusting various speeds and heights you can get some very very nice surface finishes on sheet-metal. You can put coarse belts in and grind slag/burrs too.

What you CANNOT do is use it as a thickness plainer. The spec calls for .120, we had .150 they expected me to sand it into tolerance.

Nor can you expect to "buff out" .009 deep gouge on a chunk of stainless using a 120 grit belt.

Once we got that established they started bringing me very intricate parts that needed specified grain directions. Parts smaller than the minimum size spec for the machine.

SOP was to build a fixture... which I did. I was reamed and ripped for using the milling machine "without permission."

Next one I built out of strips of steel from the bin, which I spot-welded. Again, I was raped by the bosses for using equipment.

Finally Das UberBoss comes out and says he's going to show me how to run the machine without a fixture. Proceeds to launch some fancy aerospace parts THROUGH the timesaver at high speed blasting them into the cement wall. First off all there are huge divots the belt grabbed, rounded off edges and of course hitting the wall at several MPH totally distorted the parts beyond salvage.

After this, we all had a meeting. Two of five bosses wanted me fired on the spot for destroying those parts (!) , the other three wanted to know why Das UberBoss was even out on the shop floor interfering with production, and the owner had no ****ing clue what was going on.

It was decided... between two bosses, Das UberBoss and the owner that I was not qualified to operate the timesaver, the mills, the spotwelder, the press brakes or any other machine in the plant including basic hand tools. They based this on my appearance (too young), my voice (again too young), lack of body mass (too weak) and the fact that I rode a bike to work (indicates some form of substance abuse.)

Final decision was even though I ruined those parts (!) I was permitted to stay on as grounds-keeper/janitor at minimum wage.

I drive by there from time to time looking at the for-sale sign out front. I wonder what happened to all the crappy Niagara machinery they had in there. I know the CNCs fetched a pretty penny at auction, but the rest of it was crap.

Be a great place to house my molding business some day.

Now THAT was a good read.

BigMike782
12-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Many years ago I was hired because of the specific skills I had and the shop I had worked in that moved.Part of the bosses plan was for me to "build" the department(one person).Every time he asked me how to upgrade or streamline he would then proceed to do as he pleased any way.One afternoon one of the sales guys had some issues with a job and he asked if he coould fix them as I had other work going.I said it was fine with me if it was fine with the office.He came back and started fixing issues but when they went to run it again still had major problems.We were trouble shooting when the boss came in and jumped in the middle with no clue what he was doing.He got mad and started to yell at me.I informed him that I was just trying to fix the problem and did want it fixed or not.He said "I can do anything!"
I said "you better get busy cause I quit.
I guess my years of expirience was trumped by his diploma:rolleyes:

darryl
12-22-2010, 11:48 PM
A friend once worked as a driver on an army base. He was a civvy- anyway, the motor pool gets a call to bring a 5 ton over to - wherever. Ed is next in line to drive, so he takes a truck over to the site. Some guy with a badge or whatever is reaming on these two army guys, and they have to load a pile of dirt into the truck. So, Ed sits there while they load the truck. Then his instruction is to drive these guys over to another site and they unload the dirt. He goes back to milk and cookies and tv-

Then they get another call- send a 5 ton over to where they had just dumped the dirt. Ed knew where that was, so he drives again. The same two guys load all the dirt back into the truck, and Ed is instructed to drive them back to point A, where they shovel off all the dirt. Ed thinks this is a waste of time and lets the badge guy know it. He goes back to the motor pool, where he finds out he's just lost his job.

It was a perfect job for him- he had his ticket, etc and liked driving. He just had something against military mentality.

Some of my friends were 'army brats'- lots of them actually. Many of their dads would come home and have to unload on the wife and kids- just too much bs they were expected to put up with all the time, and they needed an outlet. Some of the kids got a little strange-

Arcane
12-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Years ago, we had some "summer students" hired on to do a little bit of work around the vehicle and material yards at work (provincial electrical utility). These positions were all filled by the management's kids, the unionized guys kids never had a chance. Pay was good too, the same as the lowest paid union position which was almost three times the minimum wage which they would have been paid if they were working for a private outfit since they were just doing simple manual labour. There was half a dozen of them and they would take the shop truck out to the back of the yard, park it and turn the radio up and listen to music all day and chat and just relax. Only one guy out of the bunch made any effort to do any work, but after seeing the rest of them doing nothing, he understandably gave up trying. I remember them talking quite derisively of the union which was perplexing to those of us in the union, considering that the excellent pay they were getting was set by union scale (in the Collective Bargaining Agreement) and while the unionized people were actually working, they themselves were not doing anything to earn their pay. There was a lot of suggestions made that they should fire the useless tits, but that was apparently not possible, higher management being the kids parents.

gnm109
12-23-2010, 01:13 AM
When I was in college I worked at Denny's restaraunt. The manager that hired me transfered and the new manager Mr Young was hard to get along with. I worked first shift had only been there about 3 weeks. One day it was my turn to make soup of the day. I was told by the manager to make soup on a certain page of Denny's cook book. I was going down the list putting things 1 by 1 in the large pot when the next thing to add was 1 cup of salt. I was not a great cook in those days but I knew enough not to put 1 cup of salt in a 3 gallon pot of soup. The manager told me to make it exactly like the recipe so I decided I better double check and ask him. Well it made him mad that I asked he when off on me telling me those are proven recipes all the Denny's restaruants all over USA uses those so don't make any changes, make it exactly like the recipe. OK........will do! I put in 1 cup of salt and finished and let it cook. At lunch time people ordered soup of the day then complained it had too much salt. The manager was mad as hell after tasting the soup and he went off on me. I showed him the recipe and reminded him that I tried to ask if 1 cup salt is correct but you insisted the recipes are all correct don't bother me. He yelled you should know better than to put 1 cup of salt in a pot of soup. I yelled I do know better that is why I tried to ask you. Mr Young fired me on the spot.

It was not funny then but it is now.

Good old Denny's,

My daughter was in college and was working briefly at a restaurant called Lyons, in Sacramento. She was the Maitre'de and would show people to their seats and operate the cash register from time to time,

One night, one of the waiters decided that he would pat her on the rear end. Without even looking up, she backhanded him in the face with her fist. That seems to have taken care of the problem. I don't think that the perpetrator got fired, but he never repeated the activity.

As to your former boss, I recall that my former boss was always easily angered, especially when I was foolish enough to ask him about a particular aspect of work.

I finally got to the point where I wouldn't even ask him anything. It seemed to work because he didn't want to have to think and my avoiding asking him questions permitted him to spend his days sitting on his rear reading the newspaper, his favorite activity when he wasn't criticizing members of the staff. .

I should thank him, however. I finally got so sick of his stupidity and arrogance, that I decided to become self-employed. That was 22 years ago and I've never looked back.

sansbury
12-23-2010, 02:34 AM
Well, I drilled all the hole spacing in the mounting plate such that the dimension between each hole was .008" over the nominal dimension, and all the hole spacing on the mating parts were .008" under the nominal dimension, the net result being such an accumulation of error that the parts wouldn't fit together.

Wow. That's hardball.

Malc-Y
12-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Mr. Young's punishment, beyond being a manager at a Denny's, was to be Mr. Young.

I fail to see why being a Mr. Young should be a punishment, am I missing something?

Malc-Y (Malcolm Young) :confused:

gnm109
12-23-2010, 09:58 AM
I fail to see why being a Mr. Young should be a punishment, am I missing something?

Malc-Y (Malcolm Young) :confused:

Because it you go back and read the original poster's tale, you will see that Mr. Young is a moron. Since he has to live with himself, that his punishment. This is a condition that is common in managers.

You must be a manager somewhere. That's why you didn't get the reference.

gary350
12-23-2010, 10:16 AM
About 25 years ago I remember seeing on TV News a private airplane pilot got into a hot argument with his boss during a flight and the boss fired him then said, you can pick up your last pay check at the office when we land. The pilot said, If I am fired then I refuse to work for you 1 more second. The pilot put on his parachute and jumped out. The small plane crashed and the boss was killed. The flight recorder recorded every word. The State charged the pilot with murder and took him to court and was trying to put him in prison. I never did hear the out come of that.

Willy
12-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Now that is hardball!:eek:

Liger Zero
12-23-2010, 10:36 AM
About 25 years ago I remember seeing on TV News a private airplane pilot got into a hot argument with his boss during a flight and the boss fired him then said, you can pick up your last pay check at the office when we land. The pilot said, If I am fired then I refuse to work for you 1 more second. The pilot put on his parachute and jumped out. The small plane crashed and the boss was killed. The flight recorder recorded every word. The State charged the pilot with murder and took him to court and was trying to put him in prison. I never did hear the out come of that.

Hell with that I would have given him a medal.

Malc-Y
12-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Because it you go back and read the original poster's tale, you will see that Mr. Young is a moron. Since he has to live with himself, that his punishment. This is a condition that is common in managers.

You must be a manager somewhere. That's why you didn't get the reference.

I read the original poster's tale and see that the Mr. Young in question was indeed a moron and deserves approbation heaped upon him, but I still can't see how just being Mr. Young is punishment. I would at least have kicked his arse! I have known many managers that thoroughly deserved the title of 'moron' or even 'world class moron' or 'moron of the year' And no, I wasn't a manager, I am a retired train driver (or 'engineer' in the US).

Malc-Y :confused:

gnm109
12-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I read the original poster's tale and see that the Mr. Young in question was indeed a moron and deserves approbation heaped upon him, but I still can't see how just being Mr. Young is punishment. I would at least have kicked his arse! I have known many managers that thoroughly deserved the title of 'moron' or even 'world class moron' or 'moron of the year' And no, I wasn't a manager, I am a retired train driver (or 'engineer' in the US).

Malc-Y :confused:

Well, now I understand your concern and I certainly agree with you.

The thing is, being a nasty, ignorant, uncaring moron is a lot of work. Such a person has to be in character all of the time. He cannot let his guard down to smile or notice some of the good things that his staff have done to make him look good.

Classic examples of stupid ignorant managers are Rick Gervais' characterizatoin of the arrogant, narcissistic boss in the Brirtish version of "The Office", or the no-good, scheming manager, Lundberg, in the classic movie "Office Space".

I've had bosses that were a match for both of them at various times when I was foolishly wasting time and energy working for companies. One of them was so bad that literally everyone in the office hated him.

So, it is a form of punishment.

Lew Hartswick
12-23-2010, 12:46 PM
In other words, the dimensions were from hole to hole. Well, I drilled all the hole spacing in the mounting plate such that the dimension between each hole was .008" over the nominal dimension, and all the hole spacing on the mating parts were .008" under the nominal dimension, the net result being such an accumulation of error that the parts wouldn't fit together.
That is just plain UN-EXCUSABLE. The idiot that drew or dimensioned
the dwg. should have been fired imediately.
I suppose that is the kind of crap that led to this un-godly dimensioning
system in use now. All because some A$$hole didn't learn anything in
drafting class. :-)
...lew...

Liger Zero
12-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Alot of the bad managers/bad bosses I've had over the years share one thing in common: They all came from Kodak.

I've heard horror stories about how Kodak ran it's operations in Rochester. Sexist pigs who treated the girls/women under them like chattle... Age segregation to the extreme... separate the "men" from the "fags" and run the "fags" out of town. Ruining people by circulating the K-list around town... this was a list of people who were to be never ever hired again anywhere.

Around 88-89 when the first round of layoffs happened certain cretins were rounded up and fired and a new team of bosses took over. Then the second round layoffs happened and so on.

At first companies were hot to hire these Gods Of Kodak. Get the years of "experience" and "knowledge" and possibly an "inside connection."

In reality they were hiring unbelievable morons who came in and overnight turned companies into armed camps. The lawyers who specialize in Civil Rights made a killing. Companies would go from productive and profitable to bankrupt in a matter of months the managers implemented "the way we did things at Kodak." Companies that hired direct would turn into revolving doors where you had to work as a janitor before they'd look at your experience.

That was a big thing Kodak was known for. Come in, work as a cleaner/janitor then bid on internal job openings and move up the ladder. Once these morons hit the street, it became impossible to make a lateral career move: You couldn't go from being a tech at job A to being a tech at job B. The Kodak Manager wanted you to prove yourself as a janitor first then "earn" the right to do your job.

It took me 3-4 tries before I made the connection between "ex-Kodak" manager and some of the problems I was facing. Up until I quit working and started my business I'd keep an ear open during interviews: If the Boss bragged about being at Kodak for X number of years I'd decline the offer.

Kodak did a lot of good for Rochester, but on the other hand we now have a crop of managers who have virtually destroyed the local manufacturing economy. Couple this with the downturn... yeah. The City Of Rochester proper will be a long time recovering from this. It'll take (in my not so humble opinion) a generational die-off to set things right in this region.

Evan
12-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Alot of the bad managers/bad bosses I've had over the years share one thing in common: They all came from Kodak.

Not all of them. One year my new boss called me and absolutely insisted that I attend the year end Christmas get together in Prince George. We would often skip the event because of the normally miserable driving conditions it being a 300 mile round trip. Since he was so insistent the only possible reason had to be because he was going to award me the "best tech of the year" award, which I did deserve that particular year and that he had hinted at in my annual review.

We drove up in terrible conditions. At the meeting before the party he finally got around to the award ceremony. He picked up the plaque and the envelope with the 2 weeks all expenses paid trip to Martinique Club Med and hesitated.... He then handed it to his good buddy, the former manager of the service team who had been demoted to service rep because he didn't know what he was doing.

We walked out of the meeting along with a couple of the other techs. We drove home that night regardless of the bad weather.

The next day I composed a letter to my boss. In that letter I detailed how I would send it to the upper management. The letter went on to explain how his good friend, the former manager of the team, had recently spent the entire week in Williams Lake drinking in his hotel room instead of doing service calls while I was away on a training course. I also explained how I knew this. My wife was a telephone operator then when we still had cord boards and had handled several of his long distance calls each day when he was drunk as a skunk.

I called my new boss on the next working day and read the letter to him. He asked me to give him a few days to consider it and I agreed. The next day a memo came out in which he informed all of us that he had taken a position in Toronto that was open. He had previously sworn that the last thing in the world he ever wanted to do was to move back east. Good riddance.

When the next new manager was appointed for our team I called him and explained what I had done without actually revealing the details. I told him that it was up to him to figure out the rest but it would be a mistake to assume that just because I was in a remote area that I didn't understand how the corporate food chain worked.

He never gave me any trouble and he and I became good friends. Funny that, since he had a reputation of being very difficult to work for. :D

gnm109
12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
When I went to work for the Litton Company, makers of airborne electronics, in 1966, after a while, I discovered that nearly all of the "top managers" came from the Lockheed Co.

They all shared common characteristics. They were cruel, ruthless, rude and uncaring about the employees. It was a terrible place to work and eventually I was living on Bromo Seltzer. It got to where I couldn't bear to go to work due to the hostile work environment.

Their personalities were reflected in a number of bad decisions which led to major litigation with the U.S. Government for their poor performance and late schedules.

In any case, I left before the company failed totally. If you look around on the internet, you will not find any sign of the company still being in business. They went from the fifth most diversified company in the world with 50,000 empoyees in America and Europe, down to nothing. Very likely, partially due to the Lockheed influence. They are literally gone.

Remember, Lockheed is still very much in business but Litton had their cast off and dismissed managers who collected at other companies. Good for Lockheed.

Litton stock was at one time over $140 a share after several stock splits. I had some of it which I sold at $100 on the way down. Six weeks later in the mid 70's the stock was a $3.00 and it stayed there pretty much for 6 years.

Sic Semper Tyranus!

Seastar
12-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I have been fired twice.

In the early 60's I worked for a well known electronics manufacturer where I was promoted to Chief Engineer.
The president of the company was an abusive alcoholic who was drunk every day before noon.
After two years of taking his abuse I went over his head to the Board of Directors who promptly fired me - LOL!
That company failed and it's assets and name were purchased by Uniden.
I think Uniden is about gone now or at least much smaller.
That was the first firing.

I then founded my first company, an aircraft electronics manufacturer.
Since I was young and poor I raised some of the capital from an outside company.
I put in 35% and owned that much of the company.
I ran that company as president/founder successfully for 13 years without a loss year.
We were approached by ITT to aquire the company and when I balked at the price offered, my Board, who was controlled by the outside company fired me.
The company failed 4 years after I was fired and was not aquired.
The investor lost all of their investment after having bought my 35%.
That was the second firing.

I figured out that I have a personality defect and am incapable of working for anyone or taking orders that I think are wrong.
I used the money from the first company to found my second company.
No investors or partners. I owned it all.
The company is now 35 years old, just had a record year and now my son is president and successfully running it.
www.ritron.com

The moral is that it's not bad to be fired.
God willing, it may be the path to success and piece of mind.
Bill

Seastar
12-23-2010, 05:45 PM
By the way gnm,
Litton is still very much alive-
http://www.answers.com/topic/litton-industries

John Stevenson
12-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Been fired once, made redundant once.

First time 22 year old sprog working in a truck garage as a fitter, large national company with about 12 depot's over the UK.
Each depot was run by a general manager usually off site and the maintenance was run by a central office in London.
We were accountable to London, not the local office.

So one Sunday I went in on my own time to swap an engine in my own truck, unwritten law that this is allowed in truck circles, it makes up the the late night call outs etc. My foreman knew and was OK with it.

Mid week during doing a planned service on two trucks, local manager shows up and tells me off for using the premises, I was polite and said OK won't happen again. Foreman off site BTW.
He walked out, changed his mind and came back in and said
"On second thoughts don't bother, get all your gear and get off site immediately " and started to walk out.
I shouted him back and as he turned I threw 5 gallon of waste oil all over the stunted prick.

When my foreman got back he laughed until he cried because he's missed it, that's when i found out that Frank, the manager didn't have the authority to sack me for using the shop, only an employee of the engineering side could but i told Terry the foreman to let it go as He's find some way to get back.
Loaded my gear into the truck, drove 3 miles to another company that was in competition to them and they hired me, it was that easy to get a job in those days.

Saw Terry about 5 years ago and asked after Frank and it appeared he's done jail time for fiddling the company !!

The redundancy wasn't bad, it was on the cards as the company was loosing money hand over fist and it was purely a cost cutting exercise. They folded 2 years after.

Mind you I think calling the Engineering Manager a total asshole was a bad career move :D

gnm109
12-23-2010, 06:04 PM
By the way gnm,

News to me.....I'll have to check that out. The two divisions I worked for were closed and their retirement plan was cashed out. I haven't heard anything about them since 1976 when I left. All of the buildings I worked in are gone, too.

They started with an office in Beverly Hills which is where I first started. I will check and see what it is that they are building nowadays.

Thanks for the info.

gnm109
12-23-2010, 06:12 PM
By the way gnm,

Here's what happened.

http://www.littoncorp.com/litton-industries.asp

"By the early 1990s, Litton Industries was too large to manage as one unit. It split into separate military and commercial companies. The military arm continued to be called Litton Industries. The commercial business, which included oilfield services, business and automated assembly line operations, was renamed Western Atlas Inc.

In April 2001, Northrop Grumman Corporation acquired Litton Industries for about 3.6 billion dollars."

Seastar
12-23-2010, 06:14 PM
I bought traveling wave tubes from Litton just after Thornton aquired them.
That was in the late 50s when I was designing electronic countermeasure equiptment for the Navy.
They were an excellent company at that time.
IIRC they were in Palo Alto

mike os
12-23-2010, 06:31 PM
nearest I have come....about 15-16 years ago ( been on my own for most of the time since then)

working as a trade foreman with a site manager & his boss over me... both prime sphincters, unable to find ass with both hands when given a map, written instructions and step by step verbal....usually ended up with me organising my team, my boss the site manager and his team too, especially when time critical or emergency work broke out that needed workable decisions made right now.

Occasionally I feel a little put out by all this & let off steam (given that it was for several years & not what I was actually paid for) & I upset someone supposedly important & get dragged into the bosses office. He starts giving it some & eventually comes out with "what the hell do you think you are doing trying to do my job for me?" ( Health & safety issue that i told several "Senior staff" that there was no way in hell i, or anyone else was doing what they wanted that way),....& you know how you engage mouth before brain?... just popped out.."Well if you actually did your job I would not have to".....

After about 30 seconds of silence & a look of utter disbelief, I suggested that if that was all, I had work to do & left :D :D :D

18months later I left because I was still doing his job.....:rolleyes:

x39
12-23-2010, 07:22 PM
The idiot that drew or dimensioned
the dwg. should have been fired imediately.
I agree, some of the stuff they came up with was pretty amusing. One time I was making a prototype for a battery. The body of it was a piece of Lexan about 4"x6"x36", with a series of holes bored in it for each cell. It had a lid, also made of Lexan which was to be located by pins on each end. The engineer came down to the toolroom to go over the drawings before I started work. He was insistant that the holes for the aforementioned pins be given plenty of allowance,to the extent he even provided clearance in the holes on the part the pins should have been pressed into, saying he'd epoxy them in. The size of the holes was such that unless he sat holding the pins as the epoxy dried, they'd have been so crooked he couldn't have gotten the lid on in spite of the amount of clearance he'd spec'd on the lid. No amount of logical discourse or math would would sway him. He simply could not grasp that the allowance should be on one part only, or that it was no more work to make the part correctly than not. I did it my way in spite of the idiot. When he came to pick the job up and saw what I'd done I honestly thought he was going to make me take it apart and enlarge the holes in spite of the fact it worked perfectly, but he grudgingly accepted it. By the way, this was a prototype for a component on a sattelite.

alanganes
12-23-2010, 07:26 PM
In an effort to save this thread from death by boredom, I ask you this ; <SNIP>
And who is the " they" in "they say" ?
Indeed, such questions are the hobgoblins of small minds , and as such I brood over them incessantly.

No need to brood over this particular question any longer:

Take a look here. (http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-09-23/news/17441943_1_visor-branson-mo-patents)

:D