PDA

View Full Version : Auction find

MrDan
12-24-2010, 08:09 AM
So I went to a local going out of business factory auction and picked up a bunch of stuff, including a new scar, which is another story. I was really interested in a little hoist and arm that would go perfect over my lathe and mill for placing chucks, vices, heavy pieces, etc. Mixed in with that lot was a small vice table with a vice that I could use. Cool. So bidding over I'm looking through the loot and I find this sitting on a bottom shelf on the vice table.

http://www.kitagawaeurope.com/product-item/11/5/

Fortunately it was protected by a protective layer of grime which wiped right off. The actual jaws appear to have been removed but everything else is still present. Is this Ebay material or is there some value to a home shop machinist? I don't have any chucks currently except for my 3 and 4 jaw lathe chucks so I have rotary tables to get and whatnot still.

aboard_epsilon
12-24-2010, 08:36 AM
i can probably see you paying more for new jaws for that than it is worth ..
yes probably ..might sell on ebay ..but not for much .

all the best.markj

malbenbut
12-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Soft jaw chuck, jaws arn't very expensive as they are bolt on. I've made soft jaws out of mild steel without the serations on the bottom and they have worked ok.
MBB

JCHannum
12-24-2010, 09:56 AM
It is a power chuck, not a scroll chuck. It is not an HSM chuck. They sell on eBay, but, at least in my experience, are not big money makers. It could possibly offset the cost of the auction lot, which would be a definite plus.

I always enjoy the bonuses I find at the back of the shelf in odd lots. Sometimes they really pay off like six Trav A Dials in the bottom of a box of misc used Foredom parts.

DR
12-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Is the chuck new?

If new, it's worth some money.

If used, suspect problems like not repeatable chucking. Good, expensive chucks like that are not usually relegated to junk shelves.

snowman
12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Try selling it at PM first, unless you like the idiocy of Ebay.

I usually use Ebay to determine average sellin price, then offer it up at Practical Machinist for 10% less. You don't have to deal with ebay, nor pay their fees.