PDA

View Full Version : All I want for X-max is a

shadtree
12-24-2010, 03:35 PM
DRO for my lathe.

After a lot of reading and looking at different units, asking questions. I've decided that this looks like the one I would like to get.

http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Lathe_Digital_Readout.htm#DRO_PROS_2L

j king
12-24-2010, 04:00 PM
were you a good boy??

shadtree
12-24-2010, 04:06 PM
were you a good boy??

doesn't matter. Santa isn't bringing it. ;)

Bill736
12-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I would at this time like to officially recognize and thank my lady friend of 8 years for her understanding and help in my need for tools, machines, and stuff in general, including at Christmas. Unlike my former wife, my lady friend recognizes that the more tools I have, the more projects I can do for her. She even brings me beer on her way home from work. Yes, there are some women out there that good. What a gal !

macona
12-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I would spend a touch more and get the Newall M20. They no longer have it but others do.

shadtree
12-24-2010, 09:30 PM
I would at this time like to officially recognize and thank my lady friend of 8 years for her understanding and help in my need for tools, machines, and stuff in general, including at Christmas. Unlike my former wife, my lady friend recognizes that the more tools I have, the more projects I can do for her. She even brings me beer on her way home from work. Yes, there are some women out there that good. What a gal !

My wife is a like minded soul. Congrats, I try to treat her in the same way. We've been together for 29 years. I can't think of life without her. :)

shadtree
12-24-2010, 09:32 PM
I would spend a touch more and get the Newall M20. They no longer have it but others do.

I'll look into it. What does it offer that the DROPRO doesn't?

mototed
12-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I just bought that same DROPROS unit 2 months ago. I can recomend them for the manuals that have been rewwritten in english, and they will call you back if you have questions within 1-2 hours. Unit works great. Cross side scale covered up the way oil lube holes, no other way to mount it. Beats dials, I love mine. I threw most of the mounts away and made some others. They use metric screws and I was in a hurry, didn't want to go by new metric taps.

macona
12-25-2010, 01:35 AM
I'll look into it. What does it offer that the DROPRO doesn't?

A well known name that will stand behind it.

Also non-optical scales dont get dirty, cant break, etc.

shadtree
12-25-2010, 05:45 AM
A well known name that will stand behind it.

Also non-optical scales dont get dirty, cant break, etc.

Went to their web site. I like how they make their scales. They look a little more rugged than the glass ones. I'll have to rethink this. Thought I had it all noodled out. :mad:

beckley23
12-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Macona didn't mention that Newall's are, IMO, the easiest DROs to mount.
I not familiar with the model he mentioned, but they are basically bullet proof. I've had them on my machines since '94, I've got 10 of them now, and I've had 3 problems in all that time. Not a bad track record.
Harry

shadtree
12-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Macona didn't mention that Newall's are, IMO, the easiest DROs to mount.
I not familiar with the model he mentioned, but they are basically bullet proof. I've had them on my machines since '94, I've got 10 of them now, and I've had 3 problems in all that time. Not a bad track record.
Harry

Yeah, I'm reconsidering it. This is the kind of info I need. Price is a consideration but not the only one. I would rather pay a little more and get a set-up that I will be happy with than low ball it and regret it. Thanks for the heads up. Bill