PDA

View Full Version : Small hand wounds, a type of poll.

JRouche
12-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Ok, sounds odd. But... What small hand wounds do you hate the most. And just like most here, my hands are pretty tough from years of abuse and the pain threshold has kinda increased over the years, so the pain isint bad for small ones.

But beyond pain there are other considerations.

The mess. The shear type wound, you know, the knuckle buster that takes off a pea sized divot, not depth but in circumference. But if you get enough of the layers of skin off it bleeds like you were painting with it. Blood everywhere and messes things up. More of a nuisance than anything. But they heal fast.

The painful. Slices. They hurt like hell but dont leak as much as the shear type. And you can usually super glue the slice shut. And they seem to heal pretty fast also if there is enough meat to close up. Unless you swipe a tendon in the finger.

The puncture. Those are bad. Hurts a lil, but the pain lingers longer than a slice, and they dont bleed much. But man! They take forever to heal and you cant clean them out. Infection is a problem with those. And they hang around for a long time.

Yeah, I took a lil divot out while wrapping my wife's gift tonight. And it was the shear type. Wrong time for that. Blood was getting in the way, even after some heavy pressure. But I was rushing to get it wrapped on the sly so no time to use some quick stop. That stuff works great for bleeders.

Who said wrapping presents wasnt dangerous :)

Oh, what small wounds do I hate getting the most? The puncture. They can be some nasty things, even the small ones. JR

TDmaker01
12-25-2010, 12:43 AM
i would take a puncture, gouge, or slice my hand any day over teeny tiny sliver. not a big sliver, but the ones so tiny that cant be seen even with a magnifier and every time to grab or feel something you get that little pain that drives you bonkers

Spandau
12-25-2010, 12:46 AM
My hands hate me :mad:

I'd rather get punctured than split a finger tip under a heavy weight.

Just this evening I kissed a grinding wheel with a knuckle, that stuff smarts like a mofo. And I have to cook Christmas dinner while washing my hands 500 times...:eek:

Highpower
12-25-2010, 12:46 AM
i would take a puncture, gouge, or slice my hand any day over teeny tiny sliver. not a big sliver, but the ones so tiny that cant be seen even with a magnifier and every time to grab or feel something you get that little pain that drives you bonkers
Took the words right out of my mouth! :)

Walter
12-25-2010, 12:49 AM

Yup! That's the one!

Gently
12-25-2010, 12:53 AM
A sliver, hands down (pun intended) one of those you cant see...UNTIL it is infected and all red and yellow puss infected things! :eek:

I have put nails into my hand, sliced them open in a multitude of ways with about every object that could slice, and busted more than a few knuckles and well, but for plain aggrevation and major hurt/suprise factor a sliver cannot be beat! :rolleyes:

RussZHC
12-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Callouses near a finger joint that tear but those really fine slivers are right up there!
Splits at the finger tips from dryness or injury, not so much pain, though it can be, more the taking forever to heal.

Arcane
12-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Does anyone else remove those little metal slivers by lightly touching the wound against a grinding wheel? Usually slivers that are so hard to see are also short, and don't go much deeper than the callus so a light careful touch against a grinding wheel such that the rotation tends to drag it out rather than push it in deeper is all that's needed. I've done that a few times and have never had a failure to date. Sometimes dragging a sharp blade across it at 90 degrees to the skin will catch it and drag it out too.

doctor demo
12-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Trying to remove the end of My thumb with a lift chain kinda sucked for a half a year or so:o .
The paper cut type of slices right on the finger tips that everything keeps reopening are rather annoying also.

Steve

daved20319
12-25-2010, 01:32 AM
The splits that happen right at the inside knuckle creases on the thumb and fore finger when the skin dries out in the winter, or when working with stuff that sucks the moisture out like concrete or drywall. Especially bad if you have to twist something for a living, like mechanics or electricians. Next up, the little splits in the cuticle around the finger nails, the ones guaranteed to get caught and re-injured every time you reach in a pocket or nail bag. I should own stock in Neosporin and Band-Aid in the winter time :-). Later.

Dave

JRouche
12-25-2010, 02:14 AM

Dog gonit... YUP. I forgot about those. The super thin ones you can get with a hand held die grinder.

And if its mild steel not so bad, stainless steel you have to get it out cause it wont corrode away like mild steel.

Yup, thats on the top of my list also, I forgot. Hate them oh so tiny but painful slivers. Its like they get right to the nerve. And any lil brush of them triggers an immediate impulse to the brain. Not to mention they can get really infected.

Brings up memories working in the Redwood plant. I would get redwood slivers ALL over the hands. I had to dig them out no matter what. They didnt rot out like the Fir wood splinters. They would rather rot the hand before they rotted out. Some nasty bubbles would be in store if I didnt get it out. JR

Black_Moons
12-25-2010, 02:17 AM
I just sliced a nice flap of skin open.. On a round nosed lathe bit...
Maybe I got a little excessive on sharpening it with the 600grit diamond hone.. -_-;

darryl
12-25-2010, 02:44 AM
Got a slice from the tip of my finger, under the nail and up the side a ways. Pretty annoying. Had a sliver right in a joint a while ago. Must have been poking right on a nerve-

Sometimes I remove a sliver by wiping a strip of duct tape in a downstream direction. Duct tape works better than masking tape, and ordinary scotch tape is not too bad either. Invisible tape is a waste of time.

Something else that works awesome at times is glue. A tiny drop of CA on the sliver, wait for it to cure, peel off. Even white glue works like that. I've had to glue a wound shut with CA, sometimes adding a piece of thread across the gap to pull it together.

I got a sliver at work a few weeks ago. It stayed on the edge of the piece of wood I was working on, so it came right out. But it bled- rather than get blood on the wood, I did a quick little dance to put the wood down and swing my hand away. You could tell the path I took to the washroom by the drips. The butcher block came out nice, though- no stains.

travisn
12-25-2010, 02:50 AM
I just had a 3/8 drill bit break off and go into my hand yesterday. Overall not as bad as I had thought it would be. For some reason my finger hurts to extend all the way.

but on topic, I think knuckle gouges are the worst since they 'typically' see as much action as the palm of the hand does.

Liger Zero
12-25-2010, 09:05 AM
I hate anything that gets infected.

shadtree
12-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Even the little ones can be big problems. Years ago I got an insignificant little cut on the palm of my hand that became infected. Within a day or so my whole had had swollen up and turned red and started moving up my arm. Went to the Doctor who lanced it. All manner of nasty stuff came out. He told me that it had developed into some form of bolod poisoning and that I was close to losing my hand. :eek:

KiddZimaHater
12-25-2010, 09:23 AM
I hate those fine, thin slices that ITCH like crazy until they heal.:mad:

Spin Doctor
12-25-2010, 09:24 AM
What bothers me more than any injury is the skin cracking right next to the nails. Even with lotion and creams I still have trouble in winter.

HSS
12-25-2010, 10:18 AM
What bothers me more than any injury is the skin cracking right next to the nails. Even with lotion and creams I still have trouble in winter.
Especially right at the corner of the nail on the end of the thumb. No matter what you are doing you are going to bump that sucker. Of course you young guys probably don't know about "Rotten Skin" but when you get older you will know of what I speak. Just bump against something, it doesn't have to be sharp, anything at all and you either tear the skin off or have a real nice bleed under the skin. Kinda like Joseph's coat of many colors. LOL

Patrick

J Weber
12-25-2010, 10:22 AM
All of the above.In my youth I did a LOT of masonry.My hands were like 60 grit flint paper.When people talk about tattoos I just hold out my hands. Saying "I don't need to put holes in my skin on purpose."
My worse complaint now days is what I thought was arthritics. Went to my Doc and she said Hell that is rigor mortis!:D

rohart
12-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Well, after reading the above, I get the idea that US sliver = UK splinter.

Let me ask - does the US use the word splinter ?

To Brits, a sliver is indeed a tiny pointed thing, but when it enters the flesh we call it a splinter.

Anyway, yes they're a nuisance, and one day I will get round to making a real pair of tweezers, that can grab the tiniest splinter.

danlb
12-25-2010, 10:38 AM
While slivers are annoying, it's the scredriver punctures that bother me the most. The blunt blade causes impact damage before it breaks through the skin and causes the puncture wound. And, of course, they always seem to hit fingers.

The only upside is that after a few slipped screwdivers I was motivated to but a good set so now I have the right sizes.

Dan

lynnl
12-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Several years ago I drove a flat bladed screwdriver ALMOST all the way through the muscled web between thumb and forefinger. It didn't quite break through on the upper side, but close enough to leave the imprint there.

I thought this was going to be a major wound that might bother me forever.
But to my great surprise, after just a couple of days of rapidly diminishing pain, it healed right up, quickly. One of the least painful wounds I've had.
Go figure.

But I agree about those dry splits at the corners of nails and cuticles being some of the worst. Not so much the degree of pain, but the duration, and the constant reminder every time it's bumped. "The gift that keeps on giving."

tdmidget
12-25-2010, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=lynnl

But I agree about those dry splits at the corners of nails and cuticles being some of the worst. Not so much the degree of pain, but the duration, and the constant reminder every time it's bumped. "The gift that keeps on giving."[/QUOTE]

X2 Plus they look like hell. Other stuff I recover from easily. Like I was slicing a tomato and cut off the tip of my little finger. Oh well, nothing to lose. Glued it back with super glue . Now I have a neat circular scar and the tip feels like rubber.

HSS
12-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Well, after reading the above, I get the idea that US sliver = UK splinter.

Let me ask - does the US use the word splinter ?

To Brits, a sliver is indeed a tiny pointed thing, but when it enters the flesh we call it a splinter.

Anyway, yes they're a nuisance, and one day I will get round to making a real pair of tweezers, that can grab the tiniest splinter.
I don't know about other regions of this country but down here in the south a splinter is wooden and a sliver is metal.:D

Patrick

Uh-oh gotta go. I just got put on KP

bruto
12-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Impact. A few years ago I was helping my son get the exhaust off his car, using a BFH and a chisel on a cold day, and I missed and hit the base of my thumb. Aside from setting a new record for cussing, I also found that my thumb hurt and occasionally went numb for months after. For about six months I couldn't put my hand in my pocket without feeling a shock.

A couple of years later I was building a stone wall and dropped a stone on my finger. I broke the previous cussing record, and the finger too. Also lost the nail, which was very unpleasant and protracted.

Slice, abrade, hack, splinter, all nasty, but I vote for impact.

Paul Alciatore
12-25-2010, 11:44 AM
I hate the present one the most. And it seems like there always is one to bug me. Right now it is some kind of tendon thing in my left hand. I have absolutely no idea as to what caused it, but it hurts like the dickens and my finger can lock up causing more pain when it is straightened out. It just started one morning when I woke up and hasn't quit since. About two or three months now.

I have an appointment with a joint specalist next month. If it takes six weeks to get treatment now, what will it be like when Obama care kicks in? Oops, that wasn't PC. OOPS, who cares about PC anyway?

mochinist
12-25-2010, 12:02 PM
I cut off a couple fingers on my left hand when I was 20, that was no fun for obvious reasons, but as far as pain goes, smashing my thumb with hammer was the worst, as I didnt get knocked out for surgery and didnt get any cool pain killing drugs. I was sick to my stomach with pain until I got the balls to push a red hot needle thru my nail and relieve the pressure.

I do hate the little slivers/splinters in the fingers, amazing how something so small can hurt so bad. Someone above mentioned getting or making a proper pair of tweezers to get the small ones slivers out. I found one of the best things to use is my digital calipers, I can even see on the display screen when I have grabbed onto the sliver that measures .001":)

lynnl
12-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I hate the present one the most. And it seems like there always is one to bug me. Right now it is some kind of tendon thing in my left hand. I have absolutely no idea as to what caused it, but it hurts like the dickens and my finger can lock up causing more pain when it is straightened out. It just started one morning when I woke up and hasn't quit since. About two or three months now.

I have an appointment with a joint specalist next month. If it takes six weeks to get treatment now, what will it be like when Obama care kicks in? Oops, that wasn't PC. OOPS, who cares about PC anyway?

Paul, sounds like you have what's called "trigger finger."
I've had two separate surgeries for that condition. During the night I'd just wake up with the finger locked in a crooked postion.
The surgeries worked, but I've since learned that it's just a manifestation of unconscious tension.

Peter.
12-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Brass splinters, without a doubt. Can't even clean them off my lathe whilst wearing gloves without them sticking into my hand.

terry_g
12-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I think black fingernails are the worst. I had a few of them over the years.
Hurts just thinking about it.

Terry

vpt
12-25-2010, 02:59 PM
The burn! Forget that a part is hot and grabbing it and getting burnt. Or the hammer smash, the one that makes you nail turn white and than blue and either nearly fall off or come close to falling off. I have a nail that nearly fell off and is still not fully 'right' after about 3 years.

rohart
12-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks mochinist for the calipers idea. I don't use digital, but I'll give my verniers a go next time.

My last splinter was just beneath the nail on the far righthand side of my right thumb, and I'm right handed. I had to twist my thumb round as far as it would go, hold the ball of my thumb away from the nail my fingers, the whole hand shaking with the force required. Then came the tweezers, while I kept the whole lot in the right place under light and lens. Jeez ! Took half an hour.

snowman
12-25-2010, 08:54 PM
For me its the godawful slices on the thumb or index finger, specifically, the pad of the digit.

They will remind you how much you use your hands.

I tend to initially soak anything in isopropyl alcohol, then scrub with a chlorhexadine surgical scrub and pop a couple sutures in it...but I do things strange. This is all assuming its a clean slice. If it's dirty, I skip the sutures and wrap with a bandage, changing every eight hours or when it strikes through.

JRouche
12-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Ahhh....

The Brunt force and the Burn. Two extra categories.

Brunt force. The hammer or other tool. Yup, some nice blue fingers, I usually hit my upper knuckles though, hurts like hell, for a second or two.

And the Burn. Ouch!! I weld alot so you would think I know better than to grab the hot metal. But I do it all the time. Aluminum is the most common. After welding, it looks all so cool, no color, but its hotter then hell. And stays hot for a long time. JR