PDA

View Full Version : Swarfware

HAP
12-25-2010, 09:04 AM
What have you found to be the best type of clothing to wear during machining ops? Meaning, what is less likely to catch and hold chips/slivers in the material.
Best regards and Merry Christmas,
HAP

RPease
12-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Leather............tends to be heavy (depending on thickness), but has excellent durability.........

Wife likes it with the mask and whip............:D :D

jugs
12-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Leather............tends to be heavy (depending on thickness), but has excellent durability.........

Wife likes it with the mask and whip............:D :D

What, you wear the mask & she hits you with the whip :eek:

john
:)

HSS
12-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Better than wearing a mask and being shot with the gun!:D :D

RPease
12-25-2010, 10:21 AM
All joking aside...;) ........I have a leather shop apron that I sometimes use if I'm expecting lots of flying chips. Does a great job of deflecting chips from the clothes. It's got a fairly smooth surface and doesn't get the small imbedded stuff. I've tried the welding smocks and apron (also leather) but mine is kind of rough and still picks up chips. Works much better for weld splatter.

If it's a quick short job, most of the time, I grab a denum apron. Does a decent job, but still not as good as the leather.

danlb
12-25-2010, 10:39 AM
The shop apron stays in the shop, so the stray bits of swarf don't matter much.

Dan

smiller6912
12-25-2010, 10:55 AM
The shop apron has always been the machinists first choice for a reason.
That's what they are made for.

lakeside53
12-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Denim, leather etc - all work fine.

But... what's the worst? IMO... Polarfleece... My shop get real cold, and Polarfleece abounds on the coathooks by the door, but every chip from the mill will stick INTO the fleece, either by melt or just "grab". Of course, only an idiot wears PF in front of a mill ;)

mochinist
12-25-2010, 12:35 PM
I use a chip shield or try and stand out of the way of flying chips;), leather is nice when they cant be avoided, but gets awfully hot here in AZ.

QSIMDO
12-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Larger machines is the answer of course. ;)

My lathe is too light to take decent cuts & be done so there's tiny little ringlets and chips 'til hell won't have any more.

rockrat
12-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Leather is good but only the wife likes to see me in the chaps. :o

I do have both leather and denim aprons. They both work well. But the best clothing I use is denim overalls. Jump into them and head to the shop. Jump out of them when I go inside for lunch or at the end of the day. If it is cold out, insulated long johns are underneath to keep warm.

Multiple sets are a good thing as well. I have been called "The Fonz" as I run out to the auto parts store due to the colors. It fun if nothing else.

rock~

doctor demo
12-25-2010, 01:12 PM
I use a chip shield or try and stand out of the way of flying chips;).
I was standing about five feet away and up stream from the Cincinnati the other day waiting for it to complete a pass and out of nowhere a fingernail sized blue chip came in under My ball cap and over My glasses and stuck in the corner of where My eye lid meets My nose. I guess I'm going to have to switch to a full face shield and wear the hat backwards.

Steve

mochinist
12-25-2010, 01:48 PM
I was standing about five feet away and up stream from the Cincinnati the other day waiting for it to complete a pass and out of nowhere a fingernail sized blue chip came in under My ball cap and over My glasses and stuck in the corner of where My eye lid meets My nose. I guess I'm going to have to switch to a full face shield and wear the hat backwards.

SteveI ended up with a nice lil sliver in my eye one time, I was deburring a part on the deburr wheel and the sliver managed to bounce off my cheek, then the inside of my safety glasses, then into my eye:mad:

Goggles would probably be the best thing to wear, but the newer safety glasses seem to wrap and hug my face better than the old ones did and I just stick with those.

RussZHC
12-25-2010, 01:54 PM
what's the worst? IMO... Polarfleece... My shop get real cold, and Polarfleece abounds on the coathooks by the door, but every chip from the mill will stick INTO the fleece, either by melt or just "grab".

My vote for worst would be an oversize big cable knit sweater...material nearly irrelevant...its like a magnet for anything...metal, wood and next to impossible to get even most of the slivers/chips out...wore it once when in a hurry (you know, those short stops that end up being most of an afternoon?) and can't use it for anything else but that again.

darryl
12-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I kinda like wool sweaters, corduroy shirts and stretch pants. After a while it doesn't matter anymore about the chips- a bit of a bear though if you have to take them off and put them back on-

Having a beard and hair helps control the chips- though I don't have much hair left to gather swarf :)

Black_Moons
12-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Denim is great. Holds a little grinding dust, but otherwise great... Also stops wires from 10,000rpm cup wheels.. you feel a little prick, and they do tend to stick in.. but otherwise it stops them.. :P

Also tends to work well for weld splatter, splatter does not stick to it, and when it does, it tends just to stay on the surface as burnt denim just sorta stays intact for a little while.

Of course, Leather is better for all these, but leather pants are a pain...

Protip if you like wearing sandles like me, or just easy to melt shoes: Buy some of the leather welding shoe guards. They are great! little annoying to put on/off, but less annoying then doing the funky chicken infront of the lathe as the tool nears the chuck under autofeed. Also works great for welding.. :)

old-biker-uk
12-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Leather - Looks like mine could do with a pressure wash.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages/Temp/images/apron.jpg
Since this photo I have added a flap over the pcket - (saves needing to empty it from time to time)
Mark
oops just noticed the fleece!

darryl
12-25-2010, 05:29 PM
ah- fleece! that was the other word I was looking for! No, I don't really wear wool sweaters and spandex in the shop- or anywhere- just to clear that up :)

In seriousness, I would have said denim is ok, but would also have suggested that if it's ironed, it's better.

I am sporting a beard at the present time, and it can be an issue- I get these funny little burnt hair smells from time to time-

old-biker-uk
12-26-2010, 05:30 AM
....I am sporting a beard at the present time, and it can be an issue- I get these funny little burnt hair smells from time to time-
Yup - get that as well, also bearded Bikers tend to collect stuff in the fuzz on a long summer ride but after quick comb through at least you can knock up a light consommé - can't do that with swarf..............
Mark

lazlo
12-26-2010, 10:26 AM
It's normally hotter than Mercury in my shop, so I'll be wearing shorts and a t-shirt. But if I'm making a lot of blue chips, I really like the Tillman heavy leather welding apron. $18 at most welding suppliers. Mine's a bit newer than Marks' ;)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NcXTu2hrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

38_Cal
12-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Cotton duck shop apron year round. T shirts in the summer, cotton or poly-cotton work shirts in the winter. Doing woodwork I might wear a sweatshirt in the winter, but will take it off or put an oversize work shirt on over it working at the mill or lathe. Depends on the shop temperature at the time.

David