PDA

View Full Version : Hardinge Collet Price Check

gzig5
12-25-2010, 07:33 PM
I've run across a set of Hardinge 5C collets from 1/16 - 3/4", missing three, so there are 33 in what looks like excellent shape. What is the going price for Hardinge 5C's these days? I think I can get them for ~$6 each or $200 for the set. Is that a decent deal? I've checked the completed auctions on ebay and they go from $3-$10 each depending on grouping and condition.

Spandau
12-25-2010, 07:51 PM
I'd say this is a great deal, so long as the collets are in good shape. An import set runs $150 or so around here, and I find used Hardinge/Royal/Rivett 5C 's for around $5 each.

Check out the Hardinge site and see what you'd be paying them for new collets....:eek:

Jim Caudill
12-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Condition, condition, condition! If they are in good condition, $10 each is a fair price to pay. If they have had stock spun inside them, they could be worthless. Minor touching of the face with a tool would drop the price down to $6 -$8 each.

squirrel
12-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Those used collets are not worth the headache, we have several 5 gallon pails of 5C laying round and none of them are good enough for me to use. I just buy new Lyndex as needed, its more money but alot less headaches.

lazlo
12-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I just buy new Lyndex as needed, its more money but alot less headaches.

Lyndex is Chinese now.

Like Jim says, if they're in good condition, $10 each is a good deal. Rub your finger inside the bore and see if they're smooth. Also, look at the collet head-on and see if it's been sprung (clamped an oversized piece in it).

Rosco-P
12-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Bout $5 each, if no toolmarks on the face, no rust, not sprung, internal thread for stop. They are not in 64th's, so that's not a complete set, you'll always be huntin for the in between sizes to hold a part. Boxes of used collets (16th's, 32nds) are common at auction, it's the 64th's that everybody wants.

squirrel
12-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Lyndex is Chinese now.

I just purchased a couple from McMaster and did not notice that, if it is cheap import crap their customer service person will not like my phone call. I don't mind paying top dollar if its quality stuff but cheap import goods for that price is not cool with me.

Fasttrack
12-26-2010, 08:26 PM
I just purchased a couple from McMaster and did not notice that, if it is cheap import crap their customer service person will not like my phone call. I don't mind paying top dollar if its quality stuff but cheap import goods for that price is not cool with me.

There are a few high quality goods that come out of China. You just have to pay for the quality. You might be ok, still ;)

Arthur.Marks
12-26-2010, 08:31 PM
There are a few high quality goods that come out of China. You just have to pay for the quality. You might be ok, still ;)

One thing I credit Lyndex with being stupid as all heck with... When they changed, they left the exact same typeface, markings (or lack thereof) on the collets from the Chinese manufacturer. I've never bought their 5C's, but the new Lyndex R8's... you can't tell at all who branded them. They superficially look absolutely identical to the, say, Shars R8's. That is not really a smart move, regardless of accuracy.

D_Harris
12-26-2010, 09:18 PM
One thing I credit Lyndex with being stupid as all heck with... When they changed, they left the exact same typeface, markings (or lack thereof) on the collets from the Chinese manufacturer. I've never bought their 5C's, but the new Lyndex R8's... you can't tell at all who branded them. They superficially look absolutely identical to the, say, Shars R8's. That is not really a smart move, regardless of accuracy.

I've been thinking about this for the last several months since I purchased a set of Lyndex R8s off eBay.

Is there anyway to determine if one has original Lyndex collets as opposed to the "new" Chinese Lyndex collets? Or will it come down to having to measure run-out on them all?

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Ohio Mike
12-26-2010, 11:13 PM
I just bought a short set of Lyndex R8 collets from Enco and all were marked 'Made in Japan' on the box. The look and finish was much better than the Chinese 5c collets I have.

clutch
12-26-2010, 11:22 PM
I just bought a short set of Lyndex R8 collets from Enco and all were marked 'Made in Japan' on the box. The look and finish was much better than the Chinese 5c collets I have.

I bought a 25 mm collet for work about 2 months ago from mcmasters. Box marked made in Japan just like the rest of my collets I bought for home from McMaster over the last couple years.

Clutch

lazlo
12-27-2010, 12:08 AM
The last several Lyndex collets I bought from Enco came in a box with no indication of country of origin, and the collets weren't stamped with Lyndex's name.

In other words, they were 99% likely Chinese. The threads were oversized, the collet faces was roughly machined, and the run-out was over 5 tenths. I sent them back.
If you search here, and on PracticalMachinist, you'll find lots of similar reports.

Royal collets are also now made in China.

D_Harris
12-27-2010, 02:49 AM
The last several Lyndex collets I bought from Enco came in a box with no indication of country of origin, and the collets weren't stamped with Lyndex's name.

In other words, they were 99% likely Chinese. The threads were oversized, the collet faces was roughly machined, and the run-out was over 5 tenths. I sent them back.
If you search here, and on PracticalMachinist, you'll find lots of similar reports.

Royal collets are also now made in China.

My R8 Lyndex collets don't say Lyndex anywhere on them.

My Royal 5C collets have "Made in England" on the box.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

lazlo
12-27-2010, 01:16 PM
My Royal 5C collets have "Made in England" on the box.

This is the explanation from ExKenna (as in, ex-Kennametal tool engineer) on PracticalMachinist:

Their [Royal's] ER collets come from India, the R8's from China, and their CAT flange tools from Czech Republic. There are not that many people making ER collets. Most importers private label from Lexus (Centaur) in India or Hale out of Costa Rica. The Technics collets are Shin Yan Taiwan.

Royal used to get a lot of stuff from Crawford Collet in England but there were some money problems and I think Pratt stepped in between them.

If you want the absolute best, look at Rego-Fix. Still made in Switzerland.

Arthur.Marks
12-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, it is worth mentioning that the best quality is often tied with the originators of the system. For example:

Rego-Fix - ER
Hardinge - 5C

I don't know about the R8's. Weren't they a Bridgeport invention? Hardinge owns that name now...

gzig5
12-29-2010, 02:06 AM
Well, I got the lot for $200. 33 Collets from 1/16 - 3/4 all Hardinge. Can't find a mark in the bores and only a couple look like they've been used at all. Also included a nice dead center and 5C dog driver. Not quite a gloat, but definitely a smirk.:D Now, if only I had a lathe capable of using them right away.......

oldtiffie
12-29-2010, 02:44 AM
If you really really want Hardinge quality, buy from Hardinge and get the test certificate for that collet/s.

I'd guess that Hardinge have several quality and price-points.

Perhaps Hardinge doesn't make them in the USA either.

Perhaps you'd need your Hardinge certificate to certify that the collet/s was/were made in the USA - and what if Hardinge won't/can't?

macona
12-29-2010, 02:49 AM
That hardinge dead center and driver will sell for a good chunk of what you bought the whole lot for on ebay. I was watching one once and it went high!

Arthur.Marks
12-29-2010, 02:00 PM
I'd guess that Hardinge have several quality and price-points. Perhaps Hardinge doesn't make them in the USA either.

They have two "price points": standard and high accuracy. The latter will be marked "ACC." That's it. They still are US made, BTW.

lazlo
12-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Well, I got the lot for $200. 33 Collets from 1/16 - 3/4 all Hardinge. Can't find a mark in the bores and only a couple look like they've been used at all. Also included a nice dead center and 5C dog driver.

That's a fantastic deal -- congrats!

gzig5
12-30-2010, 02:15 AM
That's a fantastic deal -- congrats!

Well then, I guess it is a gloat. And as such, requires proper photographic documentation, contained herewith.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss287/gzig5/IMG_4525_1.jpg

Anybody have the three I'm missing? In Hardinge of course and cheap...:rolleyes:

rkepler
12-30-2010, 11:14 AM
From the presence of the center collets and dog driver I'd bet that these were from an indexing or dividing head, likely one that fit in the open rectangular hollow in the box. If that's the case then the odds that the collets are in really good shape just went up an order of magnitude.