PDA

View Full Version : OT, it's over, all down hill from now on.....

DR
12-25-2010, 07:43 PM
This is the best part of Christmas, back from a day at the kid's house. Ate and presents exchanged.

Even though it's officially only a few days past the first day of winter in the northern hemisphere it always feels to me like the worst is past.

My wife has been running around frantically shopping for just the "right" gifts for all the family. Me, I give the kids each a check and be done with it. They always appreciate the special presents, but I suspect they like the money best.

The days are getting longer and I'm looking forward to spring.

Evan
12-25-2010, 08:19 PM
What I like about this time of year is the shop time. There isn't much to do outside except to plow the driveway when it snows. I hate the dark though so I have lots of daylight white LED lighting. Spring here is no fun at all. It's nothing but mud. The ground is much too soft to work outside but the inch is on to get things done. It's called "breakup" here. The ice on the lakes breaks up, some not until June. The ice comes out of the ground which goes from hard to mush all of a sudden. We have to plan the dumpster pick up carefully so we don't get stuck with a full load of garbage, warm weather and a mush driveway all at once.

The beginning of June is when things really start to get nice. Time to plant the garden and mow the lawns. Shop time drops to zilch except for repairs. The days are really long and astronomy is impossible since it never becomes fully dark during about 4 weeks around the summer solstice. With any luck we won't have fires to worry about this coming year. A lot of fuel burned off so now we have a very large natural firebreak to the west. I am planning to have metal or concrete fibre siding installed this early summer to make the house fire resistant.

The telescope is coming along well but very slowly. My health is finally improving some and I am getting more done in the last week. I will be posting an update sometime in the next couple of weeks.

madman
12-25-2010, 10:15 PM
I hope you had a nice xmas and are feeling better. Hope all youre wishes come true. Mike

bborr01
12-25-2010, 11:44 PM
DR,

I'm with you on the time of year thing. Days are getting longer. Around here in Michigan, November and December are usually cloudy most of the time.

January and February are colder but sunnier. I really do think there is something to this seasonally adjusted disorder, or whatever it is referred to.

Evan,

I am interested in what type of led lighting you use indoors this time of year.
I tried some led lighting in my RV and it was kind of weak and blue colored. Worked pretty good at night though if someone needed to turn a light on.

I have a John Deere F935 diesel mower that quit moving under its own power and so I am not in a hurry for the grass to start growing.

Like Evan said, this is a great time for being in the shop. Keep us posted on the telescope.

Brian

gmatov
12-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Best part of Christmas is that I buy my 5 and 7 YO grandsons LEGOS, lots of pieces, and they have 10 days or so off. I get to go over and see if they can put them together.

Movies, the like, blah, LEGOS, we spend a couple days developing motor skills in the kids. Neither of them will allow me to put pieces in place. "Find the piece, Jedo, I'll put it in place."

Grands are the BEST part of Christmas. Especially when your kids have grown up, THEN they were the best part.

Christmas is a kid thing, unless you think it is a Holy thing.

Cheers,

George

rebel54
12-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Its the best time of the year for me also. I save some of my vacation and use it with the holidays. I usually stay busy in my home shop during this time.

Evan
12-26-2010, 01:17 AM
I am interested in what type of led lighting you use indoors this time of year.

It's all LED lighting now with very few exceptions. All the lights in these pictures are LED. So are my shop lights in the garage and downstairs, mostly, and so are some of the outside lights. We don't use electric heat so them only item that is seasonal for electric use is lighting. This time of year we have the lights on twice as long each day as we do in summer. It makes quite a difference. This year I changed over a lot of lighting to LED and our bill for the last two months is 20% lower than last year for the same period.

All the lighting in both these images totals 83 watts of power.

http://ixian.ca/pics8/lrled2.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics8/lrled1.jpg

sansbury
12-26-2010, 01:25 AM
I like the holiday season but for me, Jan-March is the ugliest stretch of the year where I am in Boston.

It's either bitter cold and windy as $#@! or windy as ##@! and soggy. The first break in the misery is the St. Pat's Day parade in Southie (I have a lot of friends who live there and throw parties) but the weather is still "winter" with a bite. Opening day at Fenway is a little better but the first really nice day is usually around the time of the Boston Marathon in late April. After that we're usually good through the end of October at least.

darryl
12-26-2010, 02:36 AM
There's times when I think the best lighting would be a heat lamp, and the best heating from a projector bulb. There would be a large sandbox taking up a lot of the living room, and the heat lamp would be the sun. The projector would put a nice lake scene on the walls and blue sky on the ceiling. Talk about convenient- as luck would have it, a 110 outlet would be close by for the beer fridge. :)

Some days you just need something like that-

Evan
12-26-2010, 04:50 AM
I have had exactly those thoughts too. In fact, the lamp in the ceiling is also a skylight. The LEDs in there have the same colour temp as the natural daylight so it looks like the sun is still up when it is on. I have an old slide projector that I have been experimenting with to find the right LED to replace the 500 watt bulb. I figure about a 20 watt emitter will do the job. In the first picture the light on the tree is a 20 watt LED that I made into a 110 vac bulb a couple of weeks ago and it seem bright enough for the job.

What I really want is the video wall from the movie Total Recall.

MotorradMike
12-26-2010, 09:47 AM
There's times when I think the best lighting would be a heat lamp, and the best heating from a projector bulb. There would be a large sandbox taking up a lot of the living room, and the heat lamp would be the sun. The projector would put a nice lake scene on the walls and blue sky on the ceiling. Talk about convenient- as luck would have it, a 110 outlet would be close by for the beer fridge. :)

Some days you just need something like that-

Hmmm, artificial lake comes to mind.
There just might be a used one available in Toronto.
I wonder what they want for it?

AllThumbz
12-26-2010, 09:53 AM
This is the best part of Christmas, back from a day at the kid's house. Ate and presents exchanged.

Even though it's officially only a few days past the first day of winter in the northern hemisphere it always feels to me like the worst is past.

My wife has been running around frantically shopping for just the "right" gifts for all the family. Me, I give the kids each a check and be done with it. They always appreciate the special presents, but I suspect they like the money best.

The days are getting longer and I'm looking forward to spring.

I agree with all this. Unfortunately, Mother Nature decided it was time to demonstrate winter and the east coast is getting a Nor'easter dumping 10-17 inches of snow on us today into tomorrow with blizzard conditions and high winds. Small wonder a lot of the population has shifted to the South and West where the weather is more temperate.

Ah well, at least it gives the opportunity to work in the basement where things will be warm from the boiler.

Best,

Nelson

PixMan
12-26-2010, 09:57 AM
I like this time of year better now that my kids are all over the age of 21. I like choosing gifts over buying gift certificates or cash, but sometimes you know it's what they need more.

Funny thing about gift giving for children. My brother, who at 49 remains unmarried and has no children known to him, was famous for buying my 3 kids all toys that were many small pieces, noisy as hell, or both. Bastid. ;) No payback, he's just too nice of a guy.

vpt
12-26-2010, 10:03 AM
I like winter! Like Evan said you get lots of shop time, no work to do outside because everything is covered in snow. Lakes are froze over and are fun in a car. No bugs, no sweat, no dirt, I like it! I hate mosquitoes and I hate sweating!