PDA

View Full Version : TOS lathe on Ebay

Black Forest
12-26-2010, 05:24 AM
There is a Tos lathe for sale on Ebay Germany that looks not bad. Any of you familar with this lathe? It looks not too expensive.

I think Sir John uses a TOS. Maybe he will have a comment.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Drehbank-Drehmaschine-TOS-SV-18-RA-ZUBEHOR-/290515341982?pt=Industriemaschinen&hash=item43a410529e

gwilson
12-26-2010, 09:19 AM
The TOS is apparently a good lathe,but this one is AUF DEUTSCHLAND!!!

John Stevenson
12-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Not the same model as I use, in fact it doesn't look to have much in common with other TOS lathes I have seen.
Having said they they do have a good reputation as being well built and accurate.

aboard_epsilon
12-26-2010, 09:36 AM
it as painted green a long time ago ..but you can still see the green paint on the lead screw ..not a sign of care and attention ..maybe reflects in the rest ........cant see the way condition even when i blow it up .

that would go here in the UK for less than 250

all the best.markj

philbur
12-26-2010, 10:13 AM
That would make a nice home shop machinist's lathe with a bit of work.:)

Starting with a large capacity induction furnace.:eek:

Phil:)

Black Forest
12-26-2010, 11:44 AM
That would make a nice home shop machinist's lathe with a bit of work.:)

Starting with a large capacity induction furnace.:eek:

You mean as in melt it down for scrap?

Ries
12-26-2010, 12:38 PM
TOS was the marketing name for a consortium of Czech companies- so one TOS tool might be made in an entirely different factory than another, depending on age, size, and type.

I am pretty sure several entirely different companies made lathes that were sold under the TOS name.

All have a pretty good reputation- but quality, age, and parts availability certainly will vary.

hardtail
12-26-2010, 01:10 PM
That is the exact model Tos I have......kind of rare compared to their popular 40/50 series offerings.......these models seem a little more refined compared to their brothers (if one could say that about any Tos?) they are still quite robust.......that said this one doesn't seem to have recieved the best of care.....I think I've only ever seen one or two of these ever for sale.

Don't know if this deserves the China melt yet though?.......tough crowd here today......LOL

Black Forest
12-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Hardtail do you like your lathe? What would you say are its shortfalls?

hardtail
12-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I'll PM you........

philbur
12-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Errr yes ..... it was just a leg pull;)

You mean as in melt it down for scrap?

knedvecki
12-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I ran a TOS SN 45 fora few years. Pretty good machine. Had a gap bed, cut Metric and Imperial threads, had some strange looking silica filled fuses, and parts were hard to get. The split-nut went bad, so I had to make a new one. I may still have a copy of the parts manual around here somewhere. KBC used to sell them.

Keith