PDA

View Full Version : NEWS/Yamatokoki Rotary table

RussZHC
12-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know if the NEWS rotary tables were available with plates for dividing purposes?
Or if theirs was a standard that other plates could be fitted?

I don't have the table yet but the deal is OK; not enough background to know if these types of things either had standards or if several manufacturers were similar enough that pieces like plates could interchange.

Listed as 8.5" if that makes any difference; as another option would it make sense for a local shop to CNC some plates for me specifically to one of the "standard" hole counts?

Thanks for any input, Russ

John Stevenson
12-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Standard plates, if they can be made to fit should work but you may have to work out a set of tables depending on your ratio.

Most dividing heads are 40:1 but rotary tables can be 72:1, 80:1 90:1 and 120:1 as the most common ratio's

oldtiffie
12-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Interesting list John - especially the "80" which I don't doubt exists - but most that I've seen are sub-multiples of 360 ie 120, 90, 72, 40 but I'd have expected 60 (which I haven't seen either) to be on the list.

Here is a pic of the rotary table similar to what the OP has (not much help):
http://s3.amazonaws.com/machinetools_production/uploads/875444/101410news850.JPG

http://www.machinetools.com/us/listings/view/news-slash-yamatokoki

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&biw=1255&bih=469&q=NEWS%2FYamatokoki+Rotary+table+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=42c33c885e5e233

RussZHC
12-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks, following some of the discussion on various threads the general consensus looks to be NEWS was a forerunner of Yuasa and the pics look similar enough, they had two versions one 90:1 and a 120:1 version and though someone could not find their, Yuasa's, manual I found it and the tables there in so if I end up with that table, is should work to either find stock plates, order new ones or have some made up.

lane
12-26-2010, 09:12 PM
News was Yausa before it became Yausa. Very good stuff.

Mcgyver
12-26-2010, 11:06 PM
News was Yausa before it became Yausa. Very good stuff.

that makes me feel good....I have a News RT but didn't know it was as good as a Yuasa :D

RussZHC
12-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Mcgyver and anyone else re: NEWS rotary table and Yuasa (not me, yet) there maybe a fly in the ointment about using current Yuasa dividing plates.

MSC lists them ($$$ and there is currently a set on Ebay for not a whole lot less) but they are very thick compared to most plates I have seen and I suspect they are double sided, there are 9 rows of holes per side on each of 2 plates (also no way to tell with 100% surety from photos posted) and so may not be able to be fitted to the older NEWS.

The other question I had, sort of hinted at in John's reply, there appear to be some strange numbers of holes, 61, 71, 91, 99 all on the same side and plate according to the seller.

oldtiffie
12-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Why use two double-sided dividing plates? Why not use four single-sided plates?

If I recall correctly John Stevenson's wife sells dividing plates on her web site (I presume John makes them). I think they are laser-cut with all holes drilled and the buyer has to bore out the centre hole as well as drill and counter-sink the holes for attaching the plate/s to the rotary table.

The cost seemed pretty reasonable.

Why not PM or email John S and ask him?

Rich Carlstedt
12-28-2010, 02:12 AM
I have a NEWS RT and it is a very good unit.
mine is a 12" H/V and looks just like the one Tiffie posted except I don't have that milled grove in the top ( not factory) and there is a MT Plug in the center
It is a 80-1 ratio ( 270 minutes per handwheel rev) and came with indexing plates.
The problem I have, is I haven't used the plates for 20 years and now must find them. I was aware of YUASA making them when I bought it new in 1983.
It had been on the Jobbers warehouse for 10 years as no-one knew the name NEWS at that time or liked that ratio. His price was $625 , but when I found it was a 80/1 instead of a 90/1 (which I wanted) I turned down the offer and said it was an oddball. The guy asked what I would pay, and I said no more than 300... and he grabbed it.. Turned out to be a heckova deal..for me

I will try to find the plates and let you know what they are.
Rich

form_change
12-28-2010, 06:35 AM
Russ,
My NEWS/Yamatokoki Dividing head came with 6 plates. 3 are the normal 4" single sided plates that most people are familiar with for a B&S style head but the other 3 are around 7" in diameter - I have 2 A's and 1 B. They are double sided.
I was going to put the 7" ones on eBay and see if I could get something for them as they are no use to me. I also have the plunger handle thing to index with. Send me a PM if you are interested and I can send back photos and other details etc. The discs weigh a bit over 2kg each, so postage from here to North America could cost...

Michael

John Stevenson
12-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Mcgyver and anyone else re: NEWS rotary table and Yuasa (not me, yet) there maybe a fly in the ointment about using current Yuasa dividing plates.

MSC lists them ($$$ and there is currently a set on Ebay for not a whole lot less) but they are very thick compared to most plates I have seen and I suspect they are double sided, there are 9 rows of holes per side on each of 2 plates (also no way to tell with 100% surety from photos posted) and so may not be able to be fitted to the older NEWS.

The other question I had, sort of hinted at in John's reply, there appear to be some strange numbers of holes, 61, 71, 91, 99 all on the same side and plate according to the seller.

There is no real standard on dividing plates, the B&S are the most popular and copied by many makers but when dividing there is only one way to do it and that's to use the same number of holes.

Quite a few manufacturers made double sided plates but most copied the 'standard' B&S hole numbers which stop at 49 and instead of 6 rows of holes on three plates they went to 9 rows on a double sided plate

The Rolls Royce of division plates are the double sided Cincinnati High Number division plates, although the Cincinnati have 4 plates to a set marked A to F.

The high number plates go up to 199 to allow you to do every division up to 200 and all even numbers up to 400.
We don't make these, they are just too expensive to make but we do come across them from time to time.

Rich Carlstedt
12-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Ok, I found the plates.
So for a 12 inch 80:1 table, NEWS provided 2 double sided plates 7 1/4" in diameter and just under a 1/2" THICK.
The plates are labeled "A" and "B"
It also came with an instruction sheet telling which plates to use for all divisions from 2 to 100. The sheets says "A" are B&S style plates ( which match my 3 B&S Dividing head plates ) and "B' is a "NEWS" plate.

A has the following holes:
15 to 21,23,27.
Also 29,31,33,37,39,41,43,47,49.

B has the following holes:
Also 59,61,67,73,79,83,91,96,97,99

Rich

RussZHC
12-29-2010, 04:34 AM
OK, this is just getting odd...maybe the day has been way too long already but it looks to me like there are some vert/horizontal rotary tables that are just NOT made to accommodate the use of dividing plates at all unless you were to make them really, really small (thickness does not seem to be an issue with many if any).

I state this because in looking at all sort of pictures, some just look different and I could not figure out what it was (forest for the trees) BUT if one has the handle for rotating the table on the "wrong" end, when you put it in the vertical position there will be no room between the mounting surface to have a dividing plate much larger than the size of the hand wheel.

IF my eyes have not deceived me, does it make any difference where the hand wheel is? And if not, why would a mfg not put it where it would give the user the most possible options?

FYI: current owners that have not looked yet, Yuasa/MSC want good coin for those plates and for some reason in the past week the number of tables for auction on Ebay has nearly doubled and dividing heads are up about 30% though nearly all way too big for me. Freight on these items kills deals easily.

oldtiffie
12-29-2010, 05:15 AM
Your rotary table is pretty well "standard" as regards mounting it on the table and mounting the dividing plates and the indexing arm.

Here are some pics from one of my "Vertex" rotary tables:

As standard with the hand-wheel and degrees, minutes and seconds dial:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Vertex_Rotab_hand-book/Vertex_rotab6_1.jpg

Remove the handle-wheel and DMS dial and fit the dividing plate and indexing arm:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Vertex_Rotab_hand-book/Vertex_rotab6_5.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Vertex_Rotab_hand-book/Vertex_rotab6_6.jpg

The dividing plates need to be forward of the front of the mill table.

You can use your rotary table "as is" to make your own dividing plates - just generate a table of holes/spaces and degrees:minute:seconds and away you go.

As Rich says, the plates are not used all that often in his shop or mine either.

I prefer to set my first hole/slot at table zero and set the table according to a DMS listing. Its too easy to miscalculate your dividing arm settings or to inadvertently move them and not know it. For that reason, when I am using my dividing plates I still generate the list and check each setting before cutting and then tick or rule it off on my list.

lane
12-29-2010, 07:23 PM
You do not really need the plates any way. All numbers can be divided using the degree and minute dial and guesstimating the seconds . You cant measure the very slight amount of era any way.