PDA

View Full Version : Is Spybot Working Well?

PolskiFran
12-19-2003, 12:36 AM
A while back Thrud and others downloaded the Spybot software. I was wondering if there were any problems with it. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank

Thrud
12-19-2003, 02:12 AM
Frank
Works perfect. You do need to check for updates and then "immunize" and then "check for problems" If you have a severe problem it will have you reboot the computer and it will continue after reboot Make sure you keep checking for updates until it says you are up to date.

I also suggest you get SpywareBlaster from www.javacool.com (http://www.javacool.com) this is an active-x blocker the biggest security risk in explorer - it will stop almost all pop-ups.

It is not a perfect solution, but it prevents a lot of the problems enherrent with explorer and outlook from becoming major disasters.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 12-19-2003).]

Evan
12-19-2003, 02:49 AM
Yep, Spybot works as well as anything. There are always new ways to fake out Windblows but it does work as well as it can. I also like the fact that it is dedicated to his girlfriend, the nicest girl in the world.

Paul Gauthier
12-19-2003, 10:34 AM
What language is it??? and how would I get to read it????

------------------
Paul G.

Evan
12-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Paul,

English. It's in the license agreement. Look in help.

chkz
12-19-2003, 11:58 PM
i loaded up the freeware version of spybot (not sure if there's a licenced version you're talking of) awhile back.....just a word of warning...if you download anything on P2P systems...(i.e. the free version of Kazaa) that depend on pain in the a** popups and such...it'll likely wipe them out and make them unusable. Other than that the spybot thing worked well ('till I had to go and redownload all my p2p stuff)....

decoy91288
12-20-2003, 12:20 AM
I recently downloaded it (3weeks or so) and have seen a dramatic decrease in spam. Several months ago I downloaded it and had to uninstall it due to very sloooooow computer problem that went away after the uninstall. I have no idea why that was -- there has been no problem this time.

Evan
12-20-2003, 12:50 AM
The freeware version has a license agreement.

shaque
12-20-2003, 01:59 PM
Hi,
Just happened to notice this thread. Anybody use ad-aware? I have had it on my machine for a year and a half or two and have not had any problems with spam, and I mean none. Might be worth a try, and yes after trying the free version I donated.
Jim http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Evan
12-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Ad Aware and Spybot do nothing to stop spam. Spam is junk e-mail. You will receive junk e-mail when your e-mail address "escapes" into the "wild".

Ad Aware and Spybot stop or eliminate unwanted programs from infesting your computer. The definition of unwanted is: Programs that install without your permission, have no uninstaller, actively prevent uninstallation, collect data on your computer use and send such data to third parties without your permission or knowledge, pull down advertisements and display them on your screen without action on your part.

It is becoming a plague. There are no laws against it. They have no incentive to make sure their software doesn't screw up your computer since you didn't pay for it.

Spam is an entirely different matter. Do not let your friends send you electronic greeting cards. They exist to harvest e-mail addresses for promotional purposes. Two years ago Spam accounted for about 6% of all e-mail. Last month it is up to 56%.

Definition of Spam: Lunch meat of mysterious origin or unsolicited e-mail.

Rich Carlstedt
12-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Evan
Are you sure about this
"Ad Aware and Spybot stop or eliminate unwanted programs from infesting your computer."
They do great, but are not "active" up front that I know of...???
I have to "run" each program to get it to quarantine the bad guys.
By the way, when they point out the "bad guys", I delete them and do not really quarantine them, as I don't want them ...period !

do you run yours like every week?, or do they work on auto ?

They are both super programs guys...thanks Thrud !

jr45acp
12-20-2003, 09:18 PM
I vaguely remember Thrud's thread. Wa that a freeware version? If so, where was it located?
BTW, Thrud, that link took me to some site written in Greek or something. That may have been what the earlier post was referring to. I couldn't even find Help, Evan
------------------
John B

[This message has been edited by jr45acp (edited 12-20-2003).]

Evan
12-21-2003, 03:44 AM
Rich,

Spybot has an "immunize" function that will stop malware from being downloaded right from the moment you try to visit such a website. It is proactive and does stop known spyware programs from even getting a chance to install.

decoy91288
12-21-2003, 12:37 PM
It seems that once the spy programs are deleted they no longer get to send information. My theory is that once they dont send the email address and information on where I go in cyberspace "into the wild" - the email stops. I sure dont get spam anywhere near the volume as before. I delete maybe two or three emails every day now and was deleting up to two or three HUNDRED a day. Maybe it isnt supposed to stop spam but it sure looks like it has from here.

docsteve66
12-21-2003, 11:55 PM
I use spy bot and adware both. my experience has been as decoy says.

Wife has her own computer, her spam went up and up. She put in the adware and the bot and spam went down again.

BTW, I use Kaazaa (SPelling?), let it run 24/7 and share files. Adware and spy bot work fine so far as I can tell- but I do not use the free version and free is one with pop up ads.

PolskiFran
12-22-2003, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the info. My computer seems to be running a little slow when on the internet. I think its too busy sending info out and keeping me form getting the web page info in. I could hear the hard drive running for about 20 min or so this past week and its been slow ever since. Maybe this will help.
Thanks again,
Frank