PDA

View Full Version : Greenlee DM 810A meter.

Mark McGrath
12-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Any of you guys had experience of these?I thought they had been discussed or mentioned here before.I`ve done a search and although I`ve came up with a mention,no one has said good or bad about them.
I use a DMM for fault finding,mainly cnc.I have meggers and clamp meters just need a decent DMM but think Fluke is overated.
I had a nice Meterman 110B,probably my most favourite meter of all time, but it has given up the ghost and Wavetek who have taken them over don`t make them anymore.
I`ve bought a new Wavetek but don`t like it or trust it.I`m never sure if it`s telling me the truth or not and takes ages to settle when you change selections.
Anyway,I`ve seen this Greenlee,used,at a pawnbrokers and they want about $70 for it.
So any views?
Mark.

JoeFin
12-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Sorry - but No the Fluke is not over rated -its the Industry Standard

Can't tell you the number of times I've had to call into Tech Support while attempting to commission some shoddy product from some wanna-be instrument manufacturer, and the moment I give them readings they don't want to hear they ask, "What are you measuring that with?

If you reply with any thing other then a freshly calibrated Fluke 87, that gives them way too much wiggle room to discredit your findings and complaint, and deny there is any thing wrong with their product/firmware

So you can buy the Fluke or spend a lot of time scratching you bumm

Sorry - thats just the way it is

Liger Zero
12-27-2010, 10:24 AM
I have a Fluke clamp meter. Also a Craftsman one.

The Craftsman one hasn't been used at all since I got the Fluke.

Mark McGrath
12-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Sorry - but No the Fluke is not over rated -its the Industry Standard

Can't tell you the number of times I've had to call into Tech Support while attempting to commission some shoddy product from some wanna-be instrument manufacturer, and the moment I give them readings they don't want to hear they ask, "What are you measuring that with?

If you reply with any thing other then a freshly calibrated Fluke 87, that gives them way too much wiggle room to discredit your findings and complaint, and deny there is any thing wrong with their product/firmware

So you can buy the Fluke or spend a lot of time scratching you bumm

Sorry - thats just the way it is

Only in the USA.
Thought you guys didn`t buy Chinese made product.
Thanks for not answering the question.

cuemaker
12-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Only in the USA.
Thought you guys didn`t buy Chinese made product.

The low end flukes are made in China... The Fluke 80 series are made in the USA...

I dont know anything about Greenlee products...And I would think anything purchased at a pawn shop would probably be out of calibration

Liger Zero
12-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Can we get a picture of said meter? I know someone to ask but he's going to want a picture.

JoeFin
12-27-2010, 11:54 AM

I believe I did answer the question - and this is from a person who works on control systems for a living.

The Greenlee very well maybe an accurate meter - Fresh out the box. But I doubt over time it well hold up to the proven reliability and accuracy of the Fluke. Additionally the Greenlee will give you the added benefit of every Tech support person you talk to in the pursuit of your trouble shooting CNCs to doubt your findings.

BTW: this Power Plant had over 10,000 control points (loops) - all tested for accuracy with Fluke 87s

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa83/Freakindj/Power%20Plant/DSCF00861.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa83/Freakindj/Power%20Plant/DSCF00661.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa83/Freakindj/Power%20Plant/DSCF00761.jpg

Mark McGrath
12-27-2010, 02:31 PM
BTW: this Power Plant had over 10,000 control points (loops) - all tested for accuracy with Fluke 87s

Just what exactly does all your pretty pictures have to do with the original question?
If you have no info to answer my question with why bother?Like to see your name in print?

JoeFin
12-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Well obviously because if you in Control Systems Design & Commissioning - that is the Industry to be in right now. And if your talking meters for controls work, be it CNC, or Conveyor Systems, or Power Generation - right now its the Fluke 87

But if your looking towards some thing on the cheap you might try looking for a Simpson 270-5. Most folks don't have a clue just how good these units are and turn their nose up at them when they see them at the Flea Market

http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/high-accuracy-analog-multimeters-453607.jpg

That was the standard before the Fluke took over and honestly 20 years into the Fluke, I still really missed the little needle. This was all we used in the field when I started in the mid 70s.

Their rugged as Hell and even more accurate. Nice thing is you can fully calibrate them with a Decade Box and a Precision Power Supply. All the newer stuff uses Firmware Calibrations performed with proprietary software and impossible to get cables

I got one for my son who is studying Mechanical Engineering so I could start him off right. Picked it up for $10 at the local Flea Market

Black_Moons
12-27-2010, 06:28 PM
I think any DMM would be fine for CNC fault finding. Even the cheapo $20 ones. That said, a more expensive one, even used, will likey be a lot better then a cheapo $20 one. Not so much in accuracy maybe, but moreso in features (Capacitance checker for example), and ability to surive accidential power being applyed in resistance checking modes, etc.

Most of the time, 1% error in a measurement does not matter, Unless you are explicitly checking instrumentation that should be calibrated to better then 1%, And then you are likey needing something like a 5+ digit bench DMM or similar, and in a totaly diffrent line of work then 'Casual electrical repair guy'

PS: I totaly respect fluke quality, I just don't see it being needed for casual/home work. If you are using it 20 times a day, every day your on the job, Maybe its ruggedness is worth the price.

J Tiers
12-27-2010, 09:23 PM
All I use is Fluke and Simpson for work.

I actually own an old Micronta Simpson 260 clone, and it works as well as any Simpson, has for 40 years now. But I have it at home, along with a Triplett that has an MSHA gas safety rating. I like needle meters.

That said, Flukes croak too.....

The chinese Flukes we have seen have died at an out-of-the-box rate of 40%. 10 meters at clients, 4 bad for sure, one or more ranges out, one unit questionable, but we fired that client so I don't know what happened.

We have some 87s at the shop, and one reads exactly half on every AC scale...... it isn't *new*, but hasn't been out of original cal that long.

I own a bunch of 77s, 79's, an 8000, an 8010, and an 8600A. all older, all work very well. I don't WANT a "beckman" etc...... been there seen that, got the bad readings. Don't need an 87, the 8010 is true RMS.

Simpson..... welllllllll......... had a 260 Xl at the old work..... reading the DC output of a boost SMPS or similar, it would read DOUBLE the actual DC voltage..... in the case of the boost, apparently because of some HF ripple on the 400VDC.

A DIFFERENT MODEL Simpson read perfectly correctly.

Whaddaya gonna trust?

BTW, nothing wrong with cheap meters for most people's use. I happen to want to know the right number, or, if the meter is I KNOW going to read wrong, I want to KNOW how and about how much it is gonna read wrong..... and I am used to Fluke.

Mcgyver
12-27-2010, 11:11 PM
I've got a greenlee 810 and a fluke 87, and like both. I've had the greenlee for awhile and there is nothing about it that would make me think its any less capable than the fluke....greenlee is a high end professional brand trying to gain market share; my bet is its made. But I'm tinkering away in my home shop not reporting findings to someone who only would accept it from a fluke. Both have the diode and capacitance setting which i use and like.

I found a post on a forum that compared 10 different meters from the couple of dollar ones on up - they all read almost identically so in being a high quality meter (fluke and greenlee would qualify i think) presumably what you're buying is trust and toughness. You'll find anecdotes of "I love mine" or "i had trouble with mine" but its kind of meaningless short of a statistical study of x thousand units in the field - anecdotes are of limited value on gauging its lifespan

Fluke's got the incumbent status, Joe's probably right, a lot of the price is because of that. I found it a little amusing that you guys didn't like what the other was saying whereas I thought they where two sides of the same coin. "its overprice for what it is", "its the trusted brand people will demand you use". There's a difference? Outside of a third party wanting you to use a particular meter, insofar as accuracy, usability and at least in my experience toughness is concerned, my experience has been its hard to spot a difference between the them.

J Tiers
12-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Fluke isn't perfect. No meter is.

But it is imperfect in a consistent way...... the others tend to have errors that vary between models/brands/etc.

When a Fluke is wrong, it tends to be wrong in the same way all Flukes are..... you know what to expect, and how to interpret it. There is a lot of value to that.

Plus, they are very robust, and are not "killed" by things that fry others.

Mark McGrath
12-28-2010, 04:58 AM
That Simpson looks similar to the Avo Mk8 which was the standard meter of choice at one time in Europe.Still good for on a bench but too bulky for in panels.I`ve written off a few of them by dropping them.
I too like the needle and it took a while to get used to numbers.Beauty of the needle is to me,that half the time you don`t need to look what it`s reading,just a glance to see how far up the scale the needle is.:D
I have loads of meters,just not a decent DMM.
It`s about feel as well,I like something chunky that doesn`t follow the probes about.
I notice on UK Ebay they are selling new Amprobe DMM`s,saying they are made by Fluke.I don`t want one anyway but is this Chinese crap?

cuemaker
12-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Amprobe is Fluke for sure.... But I think they are all Chinese and not built as robust....