PDA

View Full Version : power feed for Clausing 8530

PS4steam
12-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi

I posted this over on the Clausing site and wanted to try here also.

I want to mount a power feed on the x Axis of an 8530. I have a lot of
information on how to do it on an 8520, all of which is useful for ideas but not
practical as the entire table setup is different.

I did a search and found nothing on the topic of power feeds.

If someone has mounted any type of a X axis power unit on an 8530 I would like
to see a picture and hear from you on how it was accomplished. I think I have a
design that will work, however any advice or input from 8530 owners who have
done this would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Bob

Ian B
12-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Does your machine look something like this:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/misc/ebay/ClausingMill/dscf0001.jpg.html

There seems to be a power feed unit on there.

Never used them, but for a mill of that size, maybe one of these could be adapted:

http://www.align.com.tw/html/en/powerfeed/e_powerfeed.htm

Ian

JCHannum
12-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I believe the only difference in the machines is that the 8530 has the two speed table feed. This would be removed if installing a power feed. The feed screw might need a modification to adapt the power feed, but some mods will need to be made in either case.

PS4steam
12-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the picture. That appears to be a Clausing power feed. I have been trying to find it in Clausing catalogs and could not. So now I know they had one. That is a start.

As for the table difference, at one time I had both an 8520 which I rebuilt and an 8530. I sold the 8520 about 5 years ago and the tables are dramatically different in design. My objective is to retain the ability to use the handle on the left side of the 8530 not just replace it with a unit as it appears Clausing did. The Clausing 8520 power unit retained the handle, and a Servo unit can be bolted on using the holes in the 8520 table. The Servo drive system needs to be modified and tied into X axis screw. So if I had a 8520 I would be done already.

My other objective is to try and not destroy any part so the mill can be returned to non powered use.

Thanks again

Bob