PDA

View Full Version : OT Dish Network Users?

rws
12-28-2010, 07:44 AM
We have Dish for TV. We also have a DVD player hooked into the system. Nothing special here.

But, lately, the picture that is displayed when the DVD player is off is very grainy, almost snowy. If I turn on the DVD player, where I can switch back and forth the "source", the Dish display is very sharp as it should be. Of course playing a DVD is sharp as well.

So why would the picture be grainy going "direct"? I hope I've explained this properly.

Ed P
12-28-2010, 08:29 AM
What do you mean by "direct"? Is it coming from an outdoor antenna? On my system the signal comes in from the dish and goes through the DVR and to my TV. With the DVR off I, of course, get no signal since I have no other source. There has to be a "satellite box" between the dish and the TV to interpret the signal. That "box" is usually the DVR. Do you have a separate satellite box and recording device?

Ed P

MaxHeadRoom
12-28-2010, 10:40 AM
There could be something wrong with passive pass through network that is used when the DVD is off, when switched on, the pass through network may be utilizing a powered network, therefore giving you the better picture, just a guess?
Try a test by passing the DVD and put a female coupler to join the two coax.
Max.

rws
12-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Yes, the dish cable goes into the DVR first, then through the DVD then to the TV. It's wired exactly how they show it.

But with the DVD off, the picture is grainy. I can try just taking the DVD out of the system and see if the picture improves. Thanks for the input.

lynnl
12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Don't know if this has any bearing on your situation there rws, but I'll pass along anyway.

I have DirecTv, and a few months back had a problem that just develped suddenly. Don't recall the exact symptons, but I placed a service call and the guy came out and found some (or maybe just one) connectors outside the house, between the dish and entrance, had gone bad.
He said probably gotten some moisture in them (it).

All was good after he replaced those.

Tho it sounds like you at least have a good signal going thru the DVD. But you might check the routing when the DVD is bypassed.

mikem
12-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Your DVD most likely has a problem with the feed through circuitry.

Your tv probably has more inputs. Use different ones for the DVD and the Direct tv receiver and then switch inputs with your tv remote control.

Good luck--Mike.

rws
12-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Don't know if this has any bearing on your situation there rws, but I'll pass along anyway.

I have DirecTv, and a few months back had a problem that just develped suddenly. Don't recall the exact symptons, but I placed a service call and the guy came out and found some (or maybe just one) connectors outside the house, between the dish and entrance, had gone bad.
He said probably gotten some moisture in them (it).

All was good after he replaced those.

Tho it sounds like you at least have a good signal going thru the DVD. But you might check the routing when the DVD is bypassed.

Ah, been there. We used to have directv, had the exact thing happen. First service call we got under warranty. It happened again, and they wanted $100 for the call pus parts. That's why we have Dish now! 3 years with none of that nonsense.