PDA

View Full Version : OT-Maybe: Machinist app for iphone

kc5ezc
12-28-2010, 01:35 PM
I ended up with an iphone for Xmas. There are several apps listed at the App store for machinists. Anyone use them or have an opinion?
Thanks

lazlo
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM
My iPhone wouldn't last 10 minutes in my shop. Cutting oil, blue chips...

Hell, a cheap calculator lasts about a month before it dies from the shop environment...

Have you even seen what brake cleaner does to plastic surfaces? :)

macona
12-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Sandvik has a calculator for the iphone and there is one called iMachinist which has a lot of calculators in it.

kc5ezc
12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Good point, lazlo. Hadn't considered the shop environment

macona
12-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Put it in a case. I use mine at work and home and its fine. The thing is rather well sealed so unless you dropped it in a tub of coolant or oil you should be fine.

tmc_31
12-28-2010, 02:01 PM
kc5ezc,

I have several machining apps for my Iphone, including "Machinist Journyman", Anco Precision's "Machinists Calculator" and "Mechanical Reference". All of these were paid apps although none were very expensive.

Machinist Journyman and Machinists Calculator are not very useful. Neither one has a materials database in them. I guess they are ok if you just want a rough swag at speeds and feeds and if you already know what the requirements are for milling, turning or drilling in a given material. I have a program on my PC called "Machinists Toolbox" that I think is excellent. I also have the windows PDA version which is just as good. Unfortunately, now that I have the Iphone, I don't keep the PDA charged any more.

The "Mechanical Reference" app on the other hand is very useful to me. It is just a database of fasteners, sheet metal gauge tables and a shop math reference. If I need to know what drill to use with a certain tap, I check here first.

Lazlo,

I keep my Iphone in a "OtterBox". It is protected from shock, dust, dirt and grime. It also affords some protection against moisture. Mine is industrial black and yellow (motorola colors). So far has worked good. They are pricey at $50 bucks or so (they are coming down in price now) but since At&t doesn't offer insurance for the Iphone, for me this is the next best thing.

Hope this helps,

Tim

deltaenterprizes
12-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Yes, a big thumbs up on the otter box for the iPhone. I have dropped mine at least four times that would have damaged it without the Otter Box.

Mark Hockett
12-28-2010, 03:46 PM
I have Journeyman Machinist, imachinist, Calculathe and GCodes on my iphone. I use all of them for one thing or another. My iphone is always in my shop and I have had no problems.

lazlo
12-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Lazlo,

I keep my Iphone in a "OtterBox". It is protected from shock, dust, dirt and grime.

I guess it's personal, but I find the Otter Box's hideous, and hugely bulky. They're $18 on Amazon, Buy.com...

http://www.buy.com/prod/212204109.html

The iPhone itself is fragile as hell -- I've broken 2 3GS's and a 4G from just from being in my pocket. Talking with friends, coworkers, and neighbors, that's about average. Which is probably why iPhone repair booths are popping-up at all the malls :)

Mark, are you using a screen cover? The biggest problem I have is typing on the screen with swarf or cutting oil on my fingers.
I use one of those rubberized keyboards for my shop computer, which has been pretty much impervious.

kc5ezc
12-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.
Mark, I'll give those a try.
I appreciate the help from users.
Big assist to a neophyte.
Thanks again.

datsun280zxt
12-29-2010, 12:08 PM
so far the best app for mine has been pandora. I use it to listen to music while its tucked away and out of harms way. I use the headphone jack to input to the stereo, and I've got good music all day.

MuellerNick
12-29-2010, 04:31 PM
I use my iPad in the shop from time to time. Mostly just as calculator or to look for cutting data in the Sandvik's PDFs. The Sandvik app is ... well, it's free.

I have seen apps for calculationg fittings (metric system). But it wasn't complete.

Nick

Thruthefence
12-29-2010, 05:02 PM
"The iPhone itself is fragile as hell -- I've broken 2 3GS's and a 4G "

Wouldn't that be why someone came up with a bulky, ugly contrivance like the "Otter box"?

Sort of like a bulky, ugly motorcycle helmet?

tmc_31
12-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Wouldn't that be why someone came up with a bulky, ugly contrivance like the "Otter box"?

Yep

Tim

lazlo
12-29-2010, 05:14 PM
"The iPhone itself is fragile as hell -- I've broken 2 3GS's and a 4G "

Yeah, good analogy. Because they're rubberized, they're not easy to get on or off.

I might try one of the ubiquitous thin cases with the replaceable screen protectors. Won't be oil proof, but should prevent swarf damage.

+1 on Pandora -- I have the Logitech iPhone boom box dock, and I have Padora running a lot when I'm doing boring tasks (sanding, scraping,...).