PDA

View Full Version : OT: Computer question

recoilless
12-29-2010, 01:27 PM
My work computer is Windows Vista (I believe). To enter this site, I open IE, my homepage is Yahoo, click the Favorites, scroll down to HSM and click. Easy? Yes, but...if there is anything on the homepage directly behind/underneath HSM link on favorites listing, the computer opens that instead. I have to manipulate the homepage by scrolling so there is a blank area behind the favorites drop down menu.

I don't have this issue with my computer at home (Windows 7). Is this just an irritating little nuance of some of the older systems?

Hardly a major issue, just wondering about it.

madwilliamflint
12-29-2010, 02:01 PM
That sounds like a truly ridiculous IE bug. Rather peculiar behavior.

Liger Zero
12-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Firefox on XP and 7 does it as well.

Paul Alciatore
12-29-2010, 02:21 PM
No experience on this, just wondering if perhaps there is a latency between the time the Favorites Menu drops down and the time when the computer is ready to recognize that that has happened. Perhaps you are clicking before the computer is aware that the dropdown has occured.

You could try waiting a few seconds after the Favorites drops down before clicking.

madwilliamflint
12-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Really? That's twisted. I'll poke around when I get home. (Laptop's 7. Desktop's Vista.)

airsmith282
12-29-2010, 03:25 PM
thats twisted sorry i got nothing never had this happen ever i run vista ultimate and IE and have also run every other versions of windows and IE and never heard of that sounds to me like operator error

or not use to the new version of IE sorry man thats all i can tell ya

winchman
12-29-2010, 04:38 PM

I've got Firefox on XP, but mine doesn't do it.

fredf
12-29-2010, 05:41 PM
firefox on 7 doesnt do it, of course I dont use yahoo as a home page. could this perchance be a yahoo problem???

recoilless
12-29-2010, 07:14 PM
No experience on this, just wondering if perhaps there is a latency between the time the Favorites Menu drops down and the time when the computer is ready to recognize that that has happened. Perhaps you are clicking before the computer is aware that the dropdown has occured.

You could try waiting a few seconds after the Favorites drops down before clicking.

Interesting, I'll give a try tomorrow as I'm at home now on Windows 7. I'm curious as to how much time would have to elapse. I'm guessing that from clicking "Favorites", then scrolling down to HSM and clicking, at least 3 seconds must pass??

recoilless
12-29-2010, 07:18 PM
firefox on 7 doesnt do it, of course I dont use yahoo as a home page. could this perchance be a yahoo problem???

I'll try this also. Honestly, I never really thought much of this even though I've been dealing with it for years now.

Pesky little problems...anyone else have a cat that repeatedly tries to step on the keyboard while posting on this site? I do!:o

rohart
12-29-2010, 08:38 PM
That is totally ridiculous.

Windows provides drop down menu action as part of its set of kernel library calls for programmers to use.

Once the calling routine has set up a menu, and a mouse click has been received that requests the drop down, nothing can happen other than the user clicking the mouse, or moving the mouse out of the owner window. If the mouse click is in the menu, the calling program is told the menu item so it can act on the user's request.

I haven't programmed using the more recent offerings, but I doubt if MS would be offering transparent menus.

You can fudge a menu to look like a menu, of course, but who would.

This looks like a pretty complex bug to me, or else something at the level of mouse software.

Are you sure you haven't installed some weird and wonderful replacement mouse driver that converts your mouse click in the menu into a mouse click outside the window and then another click in the same place. That would be easy enough to program, and it would be called a... virus ?

lakeside53
12-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Vista is really a POS... wacky latency issues leads to all type of problems.

Upgrade to Win 7.. it's like getting a hardware upgrade.

recoilless
12-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Vista is really a POS... wacky latency issues leads to all type of problems.

Upgrade to Win 7.. it's like getting a hardware upgrade.

Like I said in initial post, It's my work computer, as in my company provides it to me at the office. So, I can't rightly just demand a change especially since the internet is a small, small requirement of my work.

As said before, I have W7 at home (mine) and no issue there.

I'll try the suggestions today. Thanks again

ZINOM
12-30-2010, 09:32 AM
If you don't need to be too covert about visiting the site, maybe you could save the HSM link in your toolbar at the top and no dropdown/overlap problems will exist.

Good luck.

John

dockrat
12-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Or do what I do. I have 4 tabs that load when I start IE. This page is one of them. To do this open this site in a separate tab to your home page then go to the tools menu in IE and in the Internet options-general tab click "use current" in the home page part.

AD5MB
12-30-2010, 01:41 PM
happens on any page I go to. punches through the page you are on to the one underneath