PDA

View Full Version : Major tool gloat!

Black Forest
12-29-2010, 02:12 PM
I have been looking for a good used medium sized lathe.

I was bothering Nick about something and he mentioned he might know of a good used lathe. He sends me an E-mail with the specs and the contact info for the man selling the lathe.

I E-mailed the man and he sent me pictures and called me yesterday. It turns out he is selling off the machinery for the widow of a departed relative. Great guy and I ask him what else he has to sell. So he had a universal mill and a standing drill press. He sent me pictures of everything. All looked good so I bought it all over the phone. Includes quite a bit of tooling such as tapping heads and two rotary tables, one indexing. one 380mm the other 200mm. Tool chests etc. etc.

The lathe is 7.5KW 2000 kilo's. Made in Bulgaria! Six chucks included! All cam lock.

The mill weighs over 2000 kilo's has DRO's and lots of tooling.

The drill press is all geared and automatic feed bla bla bla.

I hope to have it all delivered beginning of next week.

Do you think I should tell the wife now or wait till the truck shows up and just casually mention. Oh, by the way Dear I bought some tools!

Dr Stan
12-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Do you think I should tell the wife now or wait till the truck shows up and just casually mention. Oh, by the way Dear I bought some tools!

Oh you must wait until delivery, then post the video on YouTube as it should be quite a sight. :D

MotorradMike
12-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Sounds great but...

No pics.
No price.

I believe the Gloat rules require both.

lazlo
12-29-2010, 02:19 PM
It's not a proper tool gloat until you post pictures :)

Black Forest
12-29-2010, 02:28 PM
OK a couple of pictures.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/lathe.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/drill_press.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/mill.jpg

hardtail
12-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Nice score......love the GH drillpress, actually all of it........

Black Forest
12-29-2010, 03:15 PM
I was wrong. It is ten chucks that go with the lathe. They bought the machines new and have all the manuals. The lathe is a 1981 model. Too new for me to be considered "old iron" but it will have to do.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/lathe_front.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/small_chucks.jpg

Peter.
12-29-2010, 03:20 PM
You jammy bra stud :D

Those camlock studs don't look like the camlocks I have.

MuellerNick
12-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Oh YOU are the one waking me up in the afternoon?
And now you post these pictures here. I didn't know that. :-)

After I got some preliminary info about the lathe, I phoned BF and told him. In the middle, I started to hesitate and thought why don't *I* buy that lathe. :confused:

Now it turns out, that BF mailed me his bank account and asked me to pay half the price. Because I drove him into buying all that cra... all those nice tools.

No, I think you got a nice package-deal you really can't complain about. 10 chucks, a box of jaws therefore, 2 RT, some Multifix. Ahh, you'll have to ask for the tool bits to make the deal complete.

I wish you a lot of fun in your warm and comfortable shop. And when the truck comes, tell your wife that you are really sorry that your gold card has been canceled just yesterday and that she'll have to return her Christmas gifts.

Nick

jkilroy
12-29-2010, 04:16 PM
The lathe is a Lion, the drill press is a solberga I believe, and you, you ROTTON SACK OF DOG DO DO, are one lucky dude.

madwilliamflint
12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh you must wait until delivery, then post the video on YouTube as it should be quite a sight. :D

Yes I do believe this is critical.

Liger Zero
12-29-2010, 04:26 PM
What can you tell me about that mill?

Black Forest
12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
The lathe is a ZMM c11mb made in Bulgaria.
Drill press is a Strands. No clue.

The mill is a Simplon I think made in Germany but not sure.

Black Forest
12-29-2010, 04:35 PM
I can not tell you anything about the mill. You know as much as I do. He only told me it weighs over two tons. SK40 spindle 25 to 1500 rpm. Power feed on three axis. Rapid feeds on X and Y. That is all I know.

Weston Bye
12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
...Do you think I should tell the wife now or wait till the truck shows up and just casually mention. Oh, by the way Dear I bought some tools!

'Tis easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Black Forest
12-29-2010, 05:00 PM
It is only a joke about the wife. She doesn't care what I buy. If it makes me happy it makes her happy. I on the other hand do not share that philosophy!

It isn't about the money. She buys stuff I have to live with. She doesn't go into my shop very often. Normally only because I don't answer my phone so she comes looking to make sure I am OK. That has something to do with me getting stuck in a water tank while trying to clean it out. Funny now, but not then.

Liger Zero
12-29-2010, 05:08 PM
That has something to do with me getting stuck in a water tank while trying to clean it out. Funny now, but not then.

Forum policy requires you to share this story. :D

MuellerNick
12-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Forum policy requires you to share this story.

Well, I know the story. And if BF tells something different, don't trust him.

He wanted to clean the goo out of the huge coolant tank. It already stared at him. To reach into every corner, he had to stick his head into it. That must have been the moment when I phoned him. He got surprised by the phone's ring an quickly lifted his head. **BANG** As a reaction, he lowered his head again. A bit too much. He fully dipped his head into the oily jelly. As a reaction ... well **BANG** once more, but this time a bit louder.

After five rings, I gave up. He later phoned me and asked how to clean off old coolant goo. I told him to use diesel. That was yesterday. Today, he phoned me and asked what a really good sleeping bag is, as he had to sleep outside last night.

Trust me!

Nick

Black Forest
12-29-2010, 05:35 PM
The tank is a water wagon we use for watering the livestock in pastures without natural water sources.

The tank is around two thousand liters. Not real big. It has a top hatch opening just big enough for my shoulders to squeeze through if I squirm around I can get through the opening with my shoulders.

It needed to be cleaned out. I pressure washed it through the hatch but couldn't quite get to a couple of spots so I decided to go into the tank. My plan was to go completely inside the tank head first. Scrub the tank and then come out.

I got my shoulders through and was at my waist at the opening but my belt caught on the hatch and I couldn't go all the way in. No problem, I will just back out and take my belt off or go in feet first. Wrong. My feet were in the air so I had no way to use my lower body to get out. I couldn't reach the bottom of the tank to push myself back out. At first I thought it was funny and I would just have to work at it a little and I would come out. Wrong. I was stuck and my head felt like it was going to pop from being upside down. I couldn't get to my belt mounted cell phone to call for assistance. My belly felt like I was being sawed in half, my head hurt and I wasn't sure I wasn't going to pass out. My cell phone was ringing but I couldn't get to it to answer. After what seemed like forever my wife comes looking for me mad because I wouldn't answer my phone. There I am mad as hell at my self for being stupid and she shows up. She realizes I am stuck and immediately asks if I am OK and how long have I been stuck. I growl at her so she knows I am pretty much OK. Then she says she will be right back. I hollar where the hell are you going. She says sweetly, "To get the camera of course". I think the words I used would all be bleeped out on this forum so I won't bother. She gets the message that I need help now and it is not a joking situation. She gets the John Deere and ties a rope around my ankles and very gently lifts me by the legs while I squirm my shoulders through the opening. Then the wife thinks it would be funny to keep lifting me and let me hang by my feet. Me not and she finally lets me down to the ground. After I recover a bit she asks me if she goes and gets the camera would I get back in the tank so she could take a picture. I only hope at that point she was joking. She got the message that that was not going to happen.

So that is my story of me stuck in a tank and why if I don't answer my phone she comes looking for me. But now she always brings the camera with her!

Black Forest
12-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Nick for sure my package must have arrived today and you are enjoying it. That is not what happened.

Weston Bye
12-29-2010, 06:49 PM
..."To get the camera of course"...

No camera necessary. Your description was vivid enough to stir even the most comatose imagination.
.....:confused: .......:eek: .......:D

PixMan
12-29-2010, 06:56 PM
You suck. ;)

Those machines look GREAT. Make sure you bring them with you should you ever come back to the states to live.

Congrats on the machines, and for having such an understanding lady. I'm kinda lucky in that regard too. Pretty much anything I buy with "my money" (vs. "our money") is OK....except for that day I came home with the black '04 GTO. That one, not so much enthusiasm from said understanding spouse.

lazlo
12-29-2010, 07:39 PM
You suck. ;)

Those machines look GREAT.

See, that's the traditional response to a truly good tool gloat -- "You Suck" means you got a great deal! :)

Tony Ennis
12-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Your lathe's tailstock weights more than my lathe. DIE, PIG-DOG!