PDA

View Full Version : New saw arrived today!!

tmc_31
12-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi All

I ordered a new Turn-Pro gear head 7X12 bandsaw Monday morning from Enco. It arrived on the Truck about one this afternoon. Atlanta GA to Merkel Tx in two days!

No damage to the saw in transit that I could see. After un-crating and installing the wheels, I inspected the saw, everything looked just fine. I plugged it in, cut a 2-3/8" piece of CR in 2-1/2 minutes. The old 4x6 took 15 minutes to make that cut (admittedly with an old blade). The old saw showed 40 thou diff from the high side to the low side of the 2-3/8" CR. The new saw showed .004" from high side to low side. No adjustment required!! I am as happy as a pig in sh*t.

The new bi-metal blade and the coolant should be here this evening on the UPS truck. My customer delivered a 20' joint of 3" HR this afternoon. So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, tomorrow I will be hacking out 1" thick biscuits out of 3" HR. About 50 of them.

Hooray for Enco

Tim

J. R. Williams
12-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Three foot stock?

JRW

tmc_31
12-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Three foot stock?

JRW

It's a really good saw!!:D

oops sorry 3" stock

correction made

Tim

gcude
12-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Looks like close to 500lbs on the 20' of stock. Please don't drop it on your toes. Congrats on the saw. My 4x6 has been a real workhorse. But, I would definitely upgrade to larger if I could justify.

gordsgarage
12-29-2010, 05:10 PM
I am as happy as a pig in sh*t.

Glad to hear you like it. I have been eyeing up the Canadian version at Busy Bee tools. The Craftex model looks visually identical to the Turn-Pro you bought. Have you got any criticism? Might be too soon to tell.

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/METAL-B%7B47%7DSAW-7IN.-X12IN.-1HP-CRAFTEX-CX-SERIES.html

Congrats on the new tool!

Gord

tmc_31
12-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Gord,

At first blush, it's great, fit and finish are very good, first cuts are impressive even with the carbon steel blade that came on it. Assuming my coolant and bi-metal blade arrive tonight or tomorrow, I will give it a work-out tomorrow afternoon. I will give you a better answer then. One thing I noticed was the motor was rated at 1 HP. The Voltage is 220V single phase and the amperage is 7A. This works out to 1540 watts. I think that is is a real live 1 hp motor!!

Before I ordered the saw, I asked what the country of origin was. The lady at Enco said that it was made in Taiwan. I only asked out of curiosity as I would have ordered the saw if it had been made in China anyway. Most of the Chinese stuff I have gotten has been pretty good with a few notable exceptions.

Tim

John Stevenson
12-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Looks like close to 500lbs on the 20' of stock. Please don't drop it on your toes. Congrats on the saw. My 4x6 has been a real workhorse. But, I would definitely upgrade to larger if I could justify.

Yup serious lump of metal.
I ordered a bar the other month at 90mm and asked the stock holders to saw it in half so I could get it off the truck, only me and the driver, plus I can't get a ful length on the saw due to weight and length.

This is what they sent.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/90mmbar1.jpg

Half an hours work with the 9" angle grinder and two disks and I had this.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/90mmbar2.jpg

Just manageable for one person.

tmc_31
12-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Dang John, I wish they'd send me a forklift:D

Pretty nice work for an angle grinder.

Yeah, first order of business will be to cut the bar into 5' lengths. I'll still have to get the boy to help me wrestle them into the saw!!

Tim

gordsgarage
12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Gord,

At first blush, it's great, fit and finish are very good, first cuts are impressive even with the carbon steel blade that came on it. Assuming my coolant and bi-metal blade arrive tonight or tomorrow, I will give it a work-out tomorrow afternoon. I will give you a better answer then. One thing I noticed was the motor was rated at 1 HP. The Voltage is 220V single phase and the amperage is 7A. This works out to 1540 watts. I think that is is a real live 1 hp motor!!

Before I ordered the saw, I asked what the country of origin was. The lady at Enco said that it was made in Taiwan. I only asked out of curiosity as I would have ordered the saw if it had been made in China anyway. Most of the Chinese stuff I have gotten has been pretty good with a few notable exceptions.

Tim

I look forward to your review once you have given it a work out on the 3" round. My experience, and opinion, of the Chinese stuff falls in line with yours. You get what you pay for but at the same time its performance is acceptable.

I have been running a carbide chop saw for years. With the addition of a lathe, and now a milling machine, to the shop it is time to step it up to a bandsaw. Are you able to comment on the differences between the carbon and bi-metal blades?

Thanks Tim, happy cutting!

Gord

lane
12-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Don`t know what you are fussing about . Over here stock that size comes in 20 foot length. Looks to me like you only got the ten foot piece you asked for , 1/2 of 20 foot.

John Stevenson
12-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Lane,
Angle of the camera, Black cold rolled comes in 7 metre lengths here so 22' 8"
Bright comes in 3 metre lengths so 9' 8"

Black_Moons
12-29-2010, 06:48 PM
I have been running a carbide chop saw for years. With the addition of a lathe, and now a milling machine, to the shop it is time to step it up to a bandsaw.
Gord

Low speed (200rpm~) or high speed? (1800rpm)
I have read the high speed ones are not good for anything thicker then a few mm. But that the low speed ones are awsome.. and expensive.

gordsgarage
12-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Low speed (200rpm~) or high speed? (1800rpm)
I have read the high speed ones are not good for anything thicker then a few mm. But that the low speed ones are awsome.. and expensive.

I have a high speed and it does much more than a few mm. I have cut 2" solid round alloy with it, no problem. I regularly cut 2 x 2 x .100 square with it. I agree, though, the low speed ones are nice however I have no experience with them. My chop saw has done very well for me and it certainly has its place but it is time to step up to a bandsaw.

Gord

gnm109
12-29-2010, 07:24 PM
I have a similar saw. Mine is a 1987 Enco 7X12" marked Made in Taiwan. I bought mine used for $300 about 15 years ago. It originally had the coolant stored open in the bottom of the base. I converted it to a dry sump a while back so that the coolant runs down into a recovery tank that also contains the coolant pump.

They are very accurate. Mine has cut 4" 6061 rod into chunks that are within .004 on each side. When I got mine I got a lifetime supply of bi-metal blades along with it . You will enjoy that saw.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/gnm109/Machinery/EncoRebuildA.jpg

Black_Moons
12-29-2010, 07:31 PM
I have a high speed and it does much more than a few mm. I have cut 2" solid round alloy with it, no problem. I regularly cut 2 x 2 x .100 square with it. I agree, though, the low speed ones are nice however I have no experience with them. My chop saw has done very well for me and it certainly has its place but it is time to step up to a bandsaw.

Gord
Wow intresting, I Have never heard of anyone cutting solid stock with them before. Just hollow stock like the 2x2x0.1 you mentioned.

I wonder how the blade life is on solid stock, Or if theres overheating problems..

gnm109
12-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow intresting, I Have never heard of anyone cutting solid stock with them before. Just hollow stock like the 2x2x0.1 you mentioned.

I wonder how the blade life is on solid stock, Or if theres overheating problems..

Solid stock is where these saws do their best. They actually work well on anything that can be properly clamped. I run mine on low speed all of the time and blades last a very long time.

With coolant and low speed, there's no heat whatsoever. You can start the saw and go do something else while it works. They shut off automatcally when the head is all the way down.

gordsgarage
12-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Here is a picture of 2" seamless pipe with a 1" alloy bar pressed into it. This is the only picture I have however I sliced it on the chop saw so that the seamless pipe and the alloy bar were flush with one another.

http://gordsgarage.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/weights-before-after.jpg

If you follow this link it sort of shows a picture of my saw.

http://gordsgarage.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/the-little-things-bbq-post-7/

The blades do great. I do not keep track of my "per cut cost" however for the life of a blade I am happy with the cost replacement. There's a certain feel to using the saw. If you get the pressure just right it cuts like butter.

Gord

tmc_31
12-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Are you able to comment on the differences between the carbon and bi-metal blades?

Thanks Tim, happy cutting!

Gord
Gord,

I have very little experience with the carbon steel blades, When I got my 4X6 most people (on this forum and elsewhere) suggested that I would get better life out of bi-metal blades. So, as soon as I ruined the carbon steel blade that came in the saw (within just a few cuts on 2-3/8 oil field tubing) I went down and bought a lennox bi-metal blade. It seemed to work well and lasted thru the job (about 30 cuts on the oil field tube) and beyond. I have been buying the bi-metals ever since. I don't know if I just got a bad carbon blade or if they are not any good to begin with.

This new saw came with a carbon steel blade but it is a more substantial blade than the one on the 4x6 was. I am going to run the blade that came with the saw tomorrow until it quits. Then I will change over to the bi-metal that I ordered. (UPS man showed up with the extra blade and the coolant as I was writing this post:D)

I think I have everything I need to start sawing now so I will report back tomorrow.

All the best

Tim

Ken_Shea
12-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Very nice saw Tim,
I see they are still usable as a vertical saw, that is handy if you don't have one, and I don't.
They are on sale at $795, now if there was a current 20% off coupon..............one would be in the shopping cart!

Anyone know of any current Enco 20% off coupon?

tmc_31
12-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Very nice saw Tim,
I see they are still usable as a vertical saw, that is handy if you don't have one, and I don't.
They are on sale at $795, now if there was a current 20% off coupon..............one would be in the shopping cart!

Ken,

Mine is the Gear Head saw, it was on sale for $899.00 (regular $1,177.00) including free truck shipping. I think the one you are looking at is the belt driven version. Looks like the same saw except the drive. I wanted the ease of changing speeds with the throw of a lever rather than having to change a belt. I don't know that it will make much difference in the long run since when I had my 4X6 I never changed speeds but anyway here I am:p

The vertical table is a piece of heavy gauge sheet metal (kind of cheesy if you ask me), not too great. I was reading another thread on here about improving the vertical table, I think I will do that when I get a chance. I would like a little larger table in cast iron with guide slots on either side of the blade.

One issue I had was that in the catalog this saw was shown as a dual voltage saw (115/220V). After I ordered, the lady called me back and told me that there was a new note on the saw that said it was only available as a 220V and ask if I still wanted it. I did not ask if the belt version was the same way or not. As you might have surmised, I was ok with the 220V motor, except now I have to go to HD and get the stuff to make up a 20' 12 gauge 3 wire SO extension cord with 220V plugs on each end. HD is closed now dang it.:mad:

Tim

gnm109
12-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Very nice saw Tim,

They have free shipping with orders of $99 or more. Code HFSDEC. I don't know how long that will be good.

tmc_31
12-29-2010, 10:50 PM
They have free shipping with orders of $99 or more. Code HFSDEC. I don't know how long that will be good.

If you look at that offer closely I believe it is for UPS ground shipments only. Truck shipments are another matter so I asked the lady at Enco specifically if there was free shipping on this saw. She said yes so I bit. She also said It was good until the end of the year. ((two more days guys for those as math challenged as I am).

Tim

Ken_Shea
12-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Ha-Ha, yes Tim, it always works out that you will need something that you can't get till next day.

I did not see the gearhead version, like you say, looks pretty much identical and likely is except for a few bolt on items. I've never change the speed on my 4x6 either and have had it almost 30 years, still the same belt though a bit on the edge now. They actually cost less now then they did back then, I paid $199.

gnm109
thanks,
I did apply that free ship code to the shopping cart and it did accept it, but it does say "free UPS" shipping and no mention of truck freight.

Tim, did you use a free shipping code?

gnm109
12-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Ha-Ha, yes Tim, it always works out that you will need something that you can't get till next day.

I did not see the gearhead version, like you say, looks pretty much identical and likely is except for a few bolt on items. I've never change the speed on my 4x6 either and have had it almost 30 years, still the same belt though a bit on the edge now. They actually cost less now then they did back then, I paid $199.

gnm109
thanks,
I did apply that free ship code to the shopping cart and it did accept it, but it does say "free UPS" shipping and no mention of truck freight.

Tim, did you use a free shipping code?

Yeah, their ad does say free UPS...so we shall see about freight.

When I bought my Kurt Vise (100 pounds or so) I got free freight from Enco in a truck. That was a different offer, however.

fishfrnzy
12-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Congrats on the saw. 50 cuts on 3" stock, now you're cooking with gas! At the service center where I work we would charge about $ 2-3.00 a slice for 50 pcs ( we figure it by material hardness and weight per foot) on and auto feed saw. 1 guy loads 2 saws with bundles of material and then runs a shear while the saws make parts and dump them into 55 gal drums or special bins. No way we could do that with a carbon blade without constant changes. You might find use for a couple different pitches of blades if you are cutting differing alloy as it can make a big difference in cut quality and speed. Bi metal is the only way to go, they last a long time and you don't have the break in period as often because you're not changing them frequently. Well worth the couple extra bucks apeice.

gordsgarage
12-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Gord,

I have very little experience with the carbon steel blades, When I got my 4X6 most people (on this forum and elsewhere) suggested that I would get better life out of bi-metal blades. So, as soon as I ruined the carbon steel blade that came in the saw (within just a few cuts on 2-3/8 oil field tubing) I went down and bought a lennox bi-metal blade. It seemed to work well and lasted thru the job (about 30 cuts on the oil field tube) and beyond. I have been buying the bi-metals ever since. I don't know if I just got a bad carbon blade or if they are not any good to begin with.

This new saw came with a carbon steel blade but it is a more substantial blade than the one on the 4x6 was. I am going to run the blade that came with the saw tomorrow until it quits. Then I will change over to the bi-metal that I ordered. (UPS man showed up with the extra blade and the coolant as I was writing this post:D)

I think I have everything I need to start sawing now so I will report back tomorrow.

All the best

Tim

Thanks for the great information Tim, I look forward to hearing what you have to say once you put the unit to the test.

Gord