PDA

View Full Version : Some people need to be banned from the forum

RB211
12-30-2010, 01:38 PM
I am for one growing very tired at the obviously targeted attacks from a small group of posters directed at one person.
I do not care how talented they might be, as of late 95% of their posts have been trolling attacks.
I do not care if Adolf Hitler was a very talented machinist, that would not give him the right to drag down a social forum with his "added baggage".
I very well will just have to join DP with his "bit bucket" if the moderator continues to act like Jimmy Carter about such matters.

George Bulliss
12-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Wow, first you call me a liberal and now you call me Jimmy Carter. If I cared what you thought, I might be hurt. Still a little sore from when I banned you? If you have something to say to me, do it in a PM or email. Threads such as this one don’t help the board.

George

danlb
12-30-2010, 02:13 PM
I find the irony delicious.

OP complains about personal attacks and then (apparently) insults George????

My hat's off to George for being big enough to brush it off.

Now back to the good, tool related threads.

Dan

mochinist
12-30-2010, 02:16 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Coz_cpLaGSw/S9bCDcgoqBI/AAAAAAAABCQ/4njcguAZHY4/s1600/serious+business.jpg

dp
12-30-2010, 02:22 PM
RB - this site has waves of discontent and periods of peace, some seasonal, who knows all the reasons. Sometimes it's worth taking a break and popping over to another board which is also probably cyclic in its mood but out of phase with this one. PM is probably in lockstep because there's a lot of overlap. AllThumbz has started what looks to be a hobbyist oriented bbs at http://hobby-machinist.com/ and since he's rejected my application I presume he means to keep it low-key. :D

Anyway, it is a "Simple Machines" software based forum still in the early stages, not a lot of traffic but I haven't seen any of the usual suspects there that populate the hot threads here.

The Simple Machines software is highly configurable and I hope the board op migrates away from the default theme as it is difficult to read at times. AllThumbs - I've set up a good many forums with that software and can offer help on how they work. Even though I'm not a member I still read it.

Meanwhile, ride it out here until the current wave crashes on the shoals of winter's end and everyone's in a better, spring-cheery mood.

Carld
12-30-2010, 02:23 PM
I think George handles the site quite well thank you. Much better than the dictator that owns PM.

loose nut
12-30-2010, 02:41 PM
There has been a lot of sniping and general poor behavior from some members of late but isn't banning a bit extreme.

How about a good flogging for the first offense and a red hot poker up the arse for the second and if that doesn't work then banning should be considered.

If everyone that posts or reply's in a manner that someone dosen't like is banned or even just locked out then there wouldn't be much to read on this forum. Besides some of these flame wars can be fun to watch.

It would be better if everyone tried to control themselves more and give George a break.

lynnl
12-30-2010, 02:59 PM
I joined this forum back in '02 or early '03, in the first year after it started.

For several years there was virtually none of this constant bickering and personal attacks to speak of. Everyone was courteous and helpful, and the topics were almost always machining related, OR jokes and humor.

I miss those days. I miss Thrud - he was a piece of work. He could come across as a gruff, grumpy ol' bear, but he did so in an endearing way.

Just for giggles, for the newer members, I suggest going back and reading some of those early discussions. Pick several consecutive days, two or three periods, read and compare to the tone of discussions nowadays.

RB211
12-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Well George is right, this thread does nothing to help the forum...

Black_Moons
12-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Ban untill pics of something you machined/welded/ground. Its the only way! :)

Alistair Hosie
12-30-2010, 03:13 PM
LYNNL your right my friend as one who has been here also for a while I don't like it when people become offesive to others either but most here are great people.George Bulliss is the best IMO.Thrud was my pal I spoke to hime often on the telephone he was kindness itself just like His lordship Johne and Evan is someone I feel bad about I had a go at him last year when I was feeling tired and depressed a bit but he's a great guy really.There are some new guys who come on and want to change the world I say apart from hurtful comments it's great here. There nearly all really good people.inc myself:D ;) ;) Alistair

RobbieKnobbie
12-30-2010, 03:20 PM
RB, BAN someone because you don't like what they have to say??? Are you serious?

There are a lot of people here that I occasionally object to or question the value of their posts, but this is a free society, and (thank goodness - and the management) that this is a free board. Sure, Ban one guy knocking that guy, then ban another guy for attacking the first guy, pretty soon you're banning people for posting misleading advice, then for posting meaningless or OT messages, then maybe I don't like the numbers in your screen name, so lets ban you too.

Sorry, but I believe that putting up with other people's silliness is the price of being allowed to post your own.There is certainly NO reason to deride, or attempt to deride, the moderators of this forum for supporting the spirit of the first ammendment.

RB211
12-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Sorry, but I believe that putting up with other people's silliness is the price of being allowed to post your own.There is certainly NO reason to deride, or attempt to deride, the moderators of this forum for supporting the spirit of the first ammendment.
Well one could argue my first amendment rights were not a priority when I was banned. Our constitutional rights do not apply to a privately operated bbs.
I am one for "smaller government" and agree with what you have to say. I'll just look beyond the kindergarten junk.

jep24601
12-30-2010, 03:27 PM
RB, BAN someone because you don't like what they have to say?
- No, for the way they say it.

RobbieKnobbie
12-30-2010, 03:32 PM
- No, for the way they say it.

That's an even worse rationale!

MuellerNick
12-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Ban untill pics of something you machined/welded/ground. Its the only way!

Ha! Now that's a fair suggestion! If it only would be easier to post pictures here. Using imageshake or photonbucket isn't convenient to say the least.

Other forums (most?) do have that feature and it makes sharing ideas and projects much easier.

I deep linked pictures out of an other forum, but I don't know (I doubt) wether you can see them. That forum needs registration (I got permission from the mod).

Nick

Carld
12-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Hmm, I find Photobucket very easy to use. What issues do you have with it?

Black Forest
12-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I think Nick should be banned!

38_Cal
12-30-2010, 03:50 PM
RB, BAN someone because you don't like what they have to say??? Are you serious?

Might as well ban someone for poor spelling or grammar! Oh, wait, that means I might have to ban myself! :eek:

David

MuellerNick
12-30-2010, 03:56 PM
I think Nick should be banned!

I think I'll have a short phone conversation with Martin about your ex-tool-gloat. :D

Nick

.RC.
12-30-2010, 03:57 PM
We are in for a long thread, someone go out and get some of this to share around.

http://tinyurl.com/5g2exl

jdunmyer
12-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Personally, as a former BBS operator, I think that one way to promote civility and discourage the opposite is to require real names. People are much more considerate of others when posting under their real names. Folks using "handles" will make posts that they'd never do under their actual name, let alone face-to-face.

MuellerNick
12-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Hmm, I find Photobucket very easy to use. What issues do you have with it?

I don't like pasting URLs. Yes, I'm lazy. Also, I use imageshake, if that makes a difference.

Additionally, I have seen pictures disappear because they were hosted externally. That really ruins an old thread if it misses all the pictures.
Didn't we have a case recently where someone removed a lot of pictures? But back to the topic. Wait... that IS part of the topic.

Nick

Black Forest
12-30-2010, 04:04 PM
That is cruel Nick! EX lathe. NOT funny. That is why you should be banned. You are not funny.

I got a quote to move the machines today......1900,00 Euro's. Ouch.

JoeFin
12-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Guys - its the Holidays

Long Renown for its ability to induce STRESS.

If your feeling like an ArseHole - Well you probably are

If your on a mission to Right the Wrongs of the World - Your probably misinformed

If your feeling like Everyone is "Disrespecting you" - its probably because you are being disrespectful yourself

Basically no one person has any more right or justification to be here and spout off more then anyone else, no matter how all fired up and full of themselves they may or may not be

and since I offered all this unsolicited condemnation and advice of all the members here - I'll promptly sit back and receive the thrashing I most certainly deserve

MuellerNick
12-30-2010, 04:20 PM
That is why you should be banned. You are not funny.

No, I wasn't kidding at all. ;)

I got a quote to move the machines today......1900,00 Euro's. Ouch.

Ask someone doing construction work nearby who has a truck with a Hiab (google that). During winter, they do have less work and he might want to take that job. But you should go with him doing the rigging. They tend to be jerks.

I'm trying a link: That's how I moved (http://www.cncecke.de/bilder/uploadFiles2008/16348_101368569972_umz4.jpg) my machinery. Just cost me the diesel fuel. He didn't care that he was overloaded, and I had to clean off the oil dripplings everywhere where he stopped.

Nick

R W
12-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Personally, as a former BBS operator, I think that one way to promote civility and discourage the opposite is to require real names. People are much more considerate of others when posting under their real names. Folks using "handles" will make posts that they'd never do under their actual name, let alone face-to-face.

Membership will drop dramatically if this ever comes into being.

Black Forest
12-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Tomorrow I call a local firm and see if they will send a truck.

Now I go to bed. I hope everyone is banned in the morning but especially Nick!

Because he is German and difficult. Now that is being redundant!

John Stevenson
12-30-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm trying a link: That's how I moved (http://www.cncecke.de/bilder/uploadFiles2008/16348_101368569972_umz4.jpg) my machinery. Just cost me the diesel fuel. He didn't care that he was overloaded, and I had to clean off the oil dripplings everywhere where he stopped.

Nick

I thought your sig line says "I Don't have enough money to buy crap " ?

What are you doing with a Colchester then ?

Rustybolt
12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
You're all banned!!!!!

Close this thread now, George!!!!

Ban George!!!

gnm109
12-30-2010, 04:58 PM
I am for one growing very tired at the obviously targeted attacks from a small group of posters directed at one person.
I do not care how talented they might be, as of late 95% of their posts have been trolling attacks.
I do not care if Adolf Hitler was a very talented machinist, that would not give him the right to drag down a social forum with his "added baggage".
I very well will just have to join DP with his "bit bucket" if the moderator continues to act like Jimmy Carter about such matters.

I sincerely hope that no one here gets banned. I'm not through with them yet! LOL.

Let's all relax. In the words of that famous fellow, Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along? "

By the way, I understand that Hitler was an excellent painter....one room, 8 hours, two coats.

:)

Liger Zero
12-30-2010, 04:59 PM
We are in for a long thread, someone go out and get some of this to share around.

http://tinyurl.com/5g2exl

I understand it goes good with this: http://www.bawls.com/

shadtree
12-30-2010, 05:00 PM
I know there is a lot about machining that I don't know but what could be so important that anyone would get upset about it?

RobbieKnobbie
12-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Had none of these people ever met, these bicker-fests wouldn't happen. Clearly it's the forum's fault, BAN THE FORUM!

MuellerNick
12-30-2010, 05:01 PM
What are you doing with a Colchester then ?

I do not have a Colchester. That's exactly the Chinese lathe that drove me to that signature.
Currently, I'm trying to drive Black Forrest to be so nasty to me that I decide to kick the deal (his tool gloat) and that *I* get "his" lathe. Then, I'll sell my Chinese lathe to Black Forrest and be his enemy for eternity.
After that, it's OK if I'm banned.

Nick

Liger Zero
12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
I do not have a Colchester. That's exactly the Chinese lathe that drove me to that signature.
Currently, I'm trying to drive Black Forrest to be so nasty to me that I decide to kick the deal (his tool gloat) and that *I* get "his" lathe. Then, I'll sell my Chinese lathe to Black Forrest and be his enemy for eternity.
After that, it's OK if I'm banned.

Nick

He may have figured out your cunning plan by now. He's not the brightest bulb in the box but he has his moments.

Rustybolt
12-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I know there is a lot about machining that I don't know but what could be so important that anyone would get upset about it?

Not much.

It's all pretty silly.

Liger Zero
12-30-2010, 05:17 PM
The funny part about this whole situation... I know plenty of machinist and trade-workers who bicker and argue over tiny details.

It's one of the reasons that no one wants to train new workers anymore. "Who taught you this? Oh HIM. He's a fag who eats kittens for lunch. THIS is the right way to do it." Hour later someone else is over there teaching you the RIGHT way to do things from their POV... it gets confusing! Then someone pulls rank/seniority, bosses get involved, people start bitching on the shop floor and nothing gets done.

Hell even without the training, I've seen master machinists "get into it" over details on projects.

Ah well. I'll keep coming back. Some of these arguments are quite educational, we can keep those. The petty sniping aimed at certain members needs to stop though.

MuellerNick
12-30-2010, 05:17 PM
He's not the brightest bulb in the box but he has his moments.

No wonder, he is a farmer! (I'll have to regret that tomorrow, I know).
I had several calls with him and ... I think he should be banned! Like you.

Nick

gary350
12-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Every Forum has its own personality. I am on several forums.

I have been on this forum for a while and I have no idea what BR is talking about. I don't read all the threads, I have never noticed anyone saying bad things about others.

There is a guy on one forum that never has a good word come out of his mouth. Everyone has nick named him the GROUCH. I like to read his comments they are a laugh. I just can't see how anyone can have so much to complain about. The guy keeps on complaining and everyone keeps on putting up with him.

I am on another forum were everyone on the forum is a Grouch. I am supprised they don't change the name the forum to, The Grouch Forum. LOL. Ha Ha Ha.

The Garden forum has a bunch of nice folks no one every says anything bad.

All the Bicycle Forum are loaded with a lot of smart mouth hot headed young guys that are hard to take. You can't say anything there without one of the young guys going of on you.

The Electronic forum does not allow any bad mouthing of other members that will get you banned with out warning.

There is a hobby forum I will not mention the name but everyone there is a jerk. Someone askes a questions and they get a reply that says, " We have already talked about this DO A SEARCH." There is some unwritten rule on this forum not to ever mention anything twice someone will set you straight real quick. Most of the threads only have 1 or 2 replies there is never any discussion at all...........we already talked about that do a search for it.

I am on 2 HDTV Antenna forums there is a new guy that thinks he knows it all and is real quick to tell you about it. You ask a question and he tells you how stupid you are. Most people are ignoring him at the moment.

mickeyf
12-30-2010, 06:07 PM
I joined this forum back in '02 or early '03, in the first year after it started.

That's about the time I finally gave up on rec.crafts.metalworking in despair, and I'm guessing one of the reasons this board started. That and the web maturing to the point of forum software being more effective/appealing than newsgroups. Basically dropped out for years, for several reasons, and joined this board a few months back.

The learned skill of ignoring specific things might really be all that is required here, but learning behavioral skills apparently is much harder than learning precision machining.... Why I couldn't even ignore joining this thread! :D

Doc Nickel
12-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Personally, as a former BBS operator, I think that one way to promote civility and discourage the opposite is to require real names.

-Evan Williams and John Stevenson might have something to say about that. :D

Ban me! Ban me!

Doc.

Dr Stan
12-30-2010, 06:21 PM
I think George handles the site quite well thank you. Much better than the dictator that owns PM.

2X on this position.

BTW, this is one of the funnier threads I've read.

Stan (my real name BTW)

squirrel
12-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Did I miss something going on? I would hope everyone would play together because this forum is one heck of alot nicer than P.M.

I don't think HSM makes enough revenue from this site to justify the headaches & bad PR, they could very easily pull the plug, I HOPE NOT!!!!

KiddZimaHater
12-30-2010, 06:31 PM
UUUHHHHHHH............
Ever feel like you've missed something?
What did I miss?:confused:

Liger Zero
12-30-2010, 06:41 PM
No wonder, he is a farmer! (I'll have to regret that tomorrow, I know).
I had several calls with him and ... I think he should be banned! Like you.

Nick

We need to get rid of all the Foreign Devils.

Starting with the Germans. :mad: BRING ME MY BAN-HAMMER.

:D (love ya'll)

Liger Zero
12-30-2010, 06:42 PM
UUUHHHHHHH............
Ever feel like you've missed something?
What did I miss?:confused:

Just another round of Evan Vs The World. That's all. :rolleyes:

Mcgyver
12-30-2010, 07:20 PM
There is a guy on one forum that never has a good word come out of his mouth. Everyone has nick named him the GROUCH. I like to read his comments they are a laugh. I just can't see how anyone can have so much to complain about.

lol, we used to have an Eeyore hear but he threatened to go away one day ....and to his credit and maybe an internet forum first, he actually did

recoilless
12-30-2010, 07:38 PM
It's 6:36 pm in NW Indiana and I am on my first (of several) Bombay gin and tonics.

I trust this has been a positive contribution to this thread.

If anyone feels differently, I'll switch to vodka:D

John Stevenson
12-30-2010, 07:45 PM
It's 6:36 pm in NW Indiana and I am on my first (of several) Bombay gin and tonics.

I trust this has been a positive contribution to this thread.

If anyone feels differently, I'll switch to vodka:D

Well it's 0:45 in the morning here and I've just found that coffee I made earlier in the gear hobbing thread, mind you it's gone cold...........

recoilless
12-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Well it's 0:45 in the morning here and I've just found that coffee I made earlier in the gear hobbing thread, mind you it's gone cold...........

Happy New Year to you (EOB).

Tell me, how is 2011? If it's not worth it, I'll jump in the GMC and start heading westward....or perhaps breakout the scotch.

PS I always drink the coffee (in my travel mug from the morning commute) on the way home. I don't seem to mind the lack of molecular activity;)

Ram
12-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Wow, I'm glad that its not one of those posts that are banning those who hardly post!

I know I would fall into that one. And have seen it on another site not to long ago.

RobbieKnobbie
12-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Just think how serious the OP was when he started this thread... six pages of sober debate later I'm sure this is all very gratifying for him.

recoilless
12-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Just think how serious the OP was when he started this thread... six pages of sober debate later I'm sure this is all very gratifying for him.

...thanks to alcohol...cause of and solution to all of life's problems

SGW
12-30-2010, 08:29 PM
For some reason, forums (and e-mail) often bring out the worst attitudes in people. They will write insulting, vicious things about another person that they would NEVER, EVER, say face-to-face; they would be far more diplomatic. The use of real names would help, I think.

I think the worst offenders tend to be testosterone-laden teenagers, but all ages are guilty of it. My wife is a minister, and she refuses to allow an online church forum because of what she has seen happen in other churches. Dr. Jeckyl becomes Mr. Hyde online, and pretty soon the church is in an uproar and taking sides over ill-mannered postings.

Fortunately, most people figure out how to be civil online. I think we do pretty well here, since we're mostly older individuals who mostly know how to behave. Every so often somebody gets out of hand a bit and George has to whap 'em upside the head, and from what I've seen his judgment is sound. I hope we can all make an effort to be civilized, especially when we disagree.

RB211
12-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Well, it is rare for a thread I start to go 6 pages...

dp
12-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, it is rare for a thread I start to go 6 pages...

All it takes is to find a topic nobody agrees on :D

spope14
12-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Six pages later, I guess I lost the train of thought.

Back to business.

wierdscience
12-30-2010, 09:28 PM
DOWN WITH PROTEST!!!!!:D:D

wierdscience
12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
if the moderator continues to act like Jimmy Carter about such matters.

Daaayhmmmm...talk bad about a man's lineage,deride his Momma,but don't compare him to Jimmah,geez that's hittin below the belt man:eek: :eek:

fredf
12-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Happy New Year to you (EOB).

Tell me, how is 2011? If it's not worth it, I'll jump in the GMC and start heading westward....or perhaps breakout the scotch.

PS I always drink the coffee (in my travel mug from the morning commute) on the way home. I don't seem to mind the lack of molecular activity;)

Hmmm I think John is starting on the 31st a bit early for the new year :)

madman
12-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanx for the Moment. You have to learn to be more selective about who and also what you alow yourself to get pissed of about. If youre so simple minded that you cant handle any type of human internet communication (like that other guy ..Im already laughing in Arizona ...Moc... i cant remember his name..)well....it really sucks to be you Grow Up and smarten up. I cant believe i posted this as Im probably one of the dumbest bastards on this site. And i am laughing at you ???? merry xmas Happy new Year.

gnm109
12-31-2010, 12:04 AM
This thread is pointless. If GB doesn't want to close it, perhaps it should just be permitted to lapse with no further comment.

RobbieKnobbie
12-31-2010, 01:03 AM
This thread is pointless. If GB doesn't want to close it, perhaps it should just be permitted to lapse with no further comment.

What, you mean no one should post to it anymore???

gnm109
12-31-2010, 01:30 AM
What, you mean no one should post to it anymore???

Why, yes. I thought I had made my self clear. It's not a very interesting thread on a site that is supposed to deal with home machining.

But by all means, keep it going if you like. These personal attacks are of little interest to most of us, however.

Black Forest
12-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Every person on this site that I insult knows my name! As to insulting face to face I prefer that more! But alas the distance.

I think all non-Americans should be banned. Especially Sir John and Nick. They often have informative and well thought out posts. That is specifically spelled out in the forum rules as a no no.

I sent Nick a very good and expensive bottle of single malt Scotch. He in his usual form has told me he did not receive the gift. He is hoping I will send a replacement bottle I am sure. But I have decided to send a picture of the good bottle instead and post a YouTube video of me pouring the replacement bottle's contents down the sink!

Oldbrock
12-31-2010, 01:55 AM
LADIES, LADIES, bad time of the month?:D Happy New Year to the whole bunch of you. Have a single malt and relax. Peter. ( I think I will have to change my name to old fart next year instead of oldbrock. 1932 baby

dp
12-31-2010, 01:56 AM
Good one, BF - that made me spill beer.

gcude
12-31-2010, 02:21 AM
I sent Nick a very good and expensive bottle of single malt Scotch. He in his usual form has told me he did not receive the gift. He is hoping I will send a replacement bottle I am sure. But I have decided to send a picture of the good bottle instead and post a YouTube video of me pouring the replacement bottle's contents down the sink!

Wow, that SHOULD get you banned.

Black Forest
12-31-2010, 03:00 AM
You are right, that should get me banned! I don't drink alcohol so it is not so painful for me to pour the contents of the bottle down the sink. What is painful is thinking about the 150 dollars the bottle contents cost and me pouring 150 dollars down the sink. My Scottish ancestors are rolling in their graves.

So I will pour the contents of the replacement bottle into a really cheap Scotch bottle and send that to Nick. He in his predictable ways will be a snob and pour the contents down the sink! Then I will post the video of me pouring the good Scotch into the cheap Scotch bottle. The pain he will derive from knowing he poured the contents down the sink will be priceless.

No worries if he reads this before the bottle arrives. He is not so smart and doesn't understand much English. AT least not from my experience in talking with him!

Ian B
12-31-2010, 03:10 AM
BF,

Before you pour it down the sink, why not see of it makes a good tapping fluid?

On second thoughts, no - you'll just end up with drunken threads...

Ian

MuellerNick
12-31-2010, 03:29 AM
I sent Nick a very good and expensive bottle of single malt Scotch.

It did not arrive. That would be the first time in my life that a parcel sent to me got lost.

But I have decided to send a picture of the good bottle instead and post a YouTube video of me pouring the replacement bottle's contents down the sink!

OK, I will not phone Martin.
I will buy a bottle of Jim Beam and add tapping fluid to make it taste better.
I'll change my signature to praise Chinese tools.
And you will be banned.

Nick

Black Forest
12-31-2010, 04:02 AM
BF,

Before you pour it down the sink, why not see of it makes a good tapping fluid?

On second thoughts, no - you'll just end up with drunken threads...

Ian

Drunken threads.....I think most threads on this forum are drunken threads!

Black Forest
12-31-2010, 04:08 AM
Hey Nick, I am shocked you are awake. It is only 10:00 am here and you are up and able to type. Noramlly when I call before 12:00 I wake you up!

I believe you that it didn't arrive. I know this not because of your good character but because my secretary sent two bottles to one person and that person is not you. The other guy phoned me to thank me for the TWO bottles of Scotch. Ha ha ha NIck....you lose! Do you think it would be impolite of me to ask him to send one bottle to you Nick? Or I could give you his telephone number and you could call and beg!

.RC.
12-31-2010, 04:15 AM
I dread the day a newcomer comes along and posts a thread asking about what abec class bearings he needs to use in his gear hobber that he is making with his South Bend lathe that he measures as having a spindle runout of 2 microns...

malbenbut
12-31-2010, 04:41 AM
For me this forum offers more entertainment than anywhere else on the internet. The moderator is very good compared to some other forums. He seems to be able to sort out tongue in cheek remarks from vitriolic ones and acts fairly. Some posters will or cannot take no for an answer. When a thread they are active in is locked they start another thread onthe same subject as continuation of the locked thread. How long before this ones locked.
MBB

MuellerNick
12-31-2010, 05:16 AM
Do you think it would be impolite of me to ask him to send one bottle to you Nick? Or I could give you his telephone number and you could call and beg!

ROFTL!
That's like "coffee to go" (You tell the story).
You get my vote for NOT being banned. But I'll get my Scotch. The secretary is to blame, she's a clerk. Clerks are always to blame.

Nick

John Stevenson
12-31-2010, 05:43 AM
I dread the day a newcomer comes along and posts a thread asking about what abec class bearings he needs to use in his gear hobber that he is making with his South Bend lathe that he measures as having a spindle runout of 2 microns...

Needs to be mounted on a plank of wood................

John Stevenson
12-31-2010, 06:08 AM
You are right, that should get me banned! I don't drink alcohol so it is not so painful for me to pour the contents of the bottle down the sink. What is painful is thinking about the 150 dollars the bottle contents cost and me pouring 150 dollars down the sink. My Scottish ancestors are rolling in their graves.

$150 ???????????

Sorry contrary to popular opinion I don't drink much, although we go down the pub a lot it's to eat out, most of our pubs here now do meals to survive because the drink drive laws are so tight.

So we get a reasonable meal and a pint for just over 5 each, very rare I have a second pint and only if I'm walking or Gert is driving.

I very rarely buy drinks in for the house except in summer I will get thru about 2 bottles of cider a week after work.

In winter we both drink whisky in black coffee but the secret to this is you need the crappiest sharpest taste whisky to make it stand out. Put a good single malt into strong coffee and it's tasteless, put Asda's / Walmarts cheapest special in and its magic.
So winter time see two bottles of whisky polished off.

So Imagine my surprise when just before Christmas I get a courier delivery and unpack it and find a bottle of 17 year old malt.

Not only that it has a label on the bottle that say it is one of a batch of 743,
so go online and look this up 100 a bottle !!!!!!!
Bloody hell I thought I was being ripped of at Asda at 9.99, can't put that in coffee.

No it didn't come from BF [ only got one bottle ! ] but it came from a guy in Scotland who I'd been helping via phone and email over a CNC related problem.

recoilless
12-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Hmmm I think John is starting on the 31st a bit early for the new year :)

Yeah maybe, but we are off Friday(today now), so all the salutations started Thursday afternoon...make sense?

Better early than late! Ever skipped over your wife's birthday?Wedding anniversery? Ouch. I tell her happy birth day every week