PDA

View Full Version : Free 'Ban Pass' for something I made?

strider
12-30-2010, 06:03 PM
OK, from reading the other thread, can I get a pass for posting something I've made before I get banned?:D

Actually, this is machining related, sort of, but also a "Can you identify the part?" type of post.

I'm one of those fortunate/unfortunate home shop machinists with an Atlas lathe, a TH54 do be precise. I needed a multi purpose device the would hold one of a small number of accessories parallel to the ways and function as a carriage stop. Here's what I knocked out in a little time one evening.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/strider357/stop.jpg

Now, can you ID the clamping device? I'm sure you can.
I'm a big fan of re-purposing.
Strider

gda
12-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Good idea for the bicycle camber lock! I'll have to remember that one and start stripping them off at the transfer station metal pile.

PeteF
12-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Eww eww, Sir Sir (sticking hand in the air) can I guess? It's a carriage stop for your lathe in which you've used a bicycle skewer (sawn down) for the cam.

Oh man, I have to learn to type faster :)

bruto
12-30-2010, 06:50 PM
I did a similar carriage stop for my lathe. Never pass up a junked mountain bike with its seat skewer in place!

lazlo
12-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Nice job Strider! Daryl Bane used a bicycle cam-lock on his clamp as well (Daryl put his on the underside) -- good re-purposing!

I like the detail work :)

Liger Zero
12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Based on my own original research, powers of observation and logical deduction which have nothing to do with reading the previous posts... I'm gonna say "bike cam-lock." ;)

Nice idea I have a couple of junk bikes with those on 'em. I'll have to strip 'em and put them in the fixture making supply pile. :)

oddball racing
12-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I wonder how many of us are now going to check out our/ the kids pile of junk bike parts over the next couple days. (minus me, as I just came in with three clampadoozy thingies,:p )

Liger Zero
12-30-2010, 08:57 PM
I hearby motion that the item in question be renamed "clampadoozy" now and for all time. All those in favor say aye.

jkilroy
12-30-2010, 11:13 PM
I am pretty sure that posting an item you actually cut metal to build is an automatic "Don't get banned" card. Nice work.

Lew Hartswick
12-30-2010, 11:17 PM
I hearby motion that the item in question be renamed "clampadoozy" now and for all time. All those in favor say aye.
Since I have absolutely no idea of bycicle things I will give it a
"AYE" to be called something I can relate to. "clampadoozy".
...lew...

bruto
12-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Here's another version of the carriage stop, this from a few years back. It's on a SB lathe, and the body of it is made of Corian. I can swap in a micrometer that fits the same hole. It's clamped with a mountain bike seat QR, with its handle trimmed down. Looks nasty because the white Corian doesn't like oil and swarf, but it works well.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8034/carriagestop.jpg

strider
12-31-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey that's an 'AYE' from me also. Now I know what the heck to call it! I repurpose bike parts a lot. I've set aside a number of clampadoozies (is that the correct plural?) because I've been tasked with building outriggers for a canoe this spring, and the clampadoozies will be integral components. I also built the canoe loader (I need to get some pics of that) using bike parts, and then the canoe transport will most likely have some bike parts. I've even used some bike bearing balls to make repairs to my lathe. You just have to love those scrap bikes! Looks like I'm also going to have to scrounge Corian. Wonder what's in the kitchen?:rolleyes:
Strider

ZINOM
12-31-2010, 09:23 AM
looks nice...I use the same clamp for my tailstock ram lock (Craftsman).

I love upcycling (re-using junk and found objects) especially in the workshop.

Happy New Year to all!!

John