PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a VFD in Canada

MotorradMike
12-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I need a 3HP 220V phase inverter/VFD and can't seem to find one in Canada at a reasonable price.
I think $300 is fair.

Tools4Cheap(US but ships USPS) had one advertised but no stock for 2 months.

Any ideas?

PeteF
12-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Mike, does it need to be new? If not just go ebay international, quite common in 230V countries.

Pete

edit: sorry you probably already realise, but if not they're also called "VSD" and "Inverter Drives" or just plain "Inverters" in other countries

gordsgarage
12-30-2010, 06:54 PM
I need a 3HP 220V phase inverter/VFD and can't seem to find one in Canada at a reasonable price.
I think $300 is fair.

I do not know that much about VFDs however Machine Tools Warehouse lists one. The company is based out of Cambridge Ontario.

I am unsure if this will suit your needs. It sells for more then $300.

https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.com/xcart/catalog/VFD-Emerson-EV1000-p-16270.html

Gord

MaxHeadRoom
12-30-2010, 07:06 PM
I usually buy a top end off ebay, if you buy from a reputable seller you can get a $1000.00 unit for $300.00.
I usually look for Mitsubishi, Square D/Telemecanique Altivar or Allen-Bradly, make sure you get the programming unit if it is not built in.
Also Check the price of WEG from V.J. Pamensky Ont.
max.

MotorradMike
12-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Pete:
I suppose used is OK, Ebay is a bit of a problem here. Many sellers will not ship to Canada. The border is still a problem.

Gord:
I'm aware of MTW but thanks, he wants too much money.

Max:
Thanks, I'm going to check out Pamensky. I'll look through the manual prior to buying.

I need to be able to program static parameters (in a cryptic way if necessary) from the keypad, then have a rotary control to set approximate RPM. I think I want [soft start], [minimum frequency], [maximum frequency], [frequency or RPM display] and [Current limit]. Beyond that I don't know. If anyone knows what else I want, I'm listening. These things seem to be a bit like digital cameras - all sorts of variables, but some are critical to the user, and those may not be available when the user has finally made a decision.

My motor mount is 75% complete and if the VFD was here it would be finished in the morning.
Getting keen!

alanganes
12-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I presume Automation Direct ships to Canada. They have the GS2 3HP unit for right around $300.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Drives/GS2_%28115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control%29/GS2_Drive_Units_%28115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC%29/GS2-23P0

This one does single phase in to 3 phase out conversion. I have used a number of these and similar units, pretty easy to use and set up, and good telephone tech support if you need it. At least in my experience.

Just another option.

-Al

EDIT - missed your above post while typing. This unit will do all of what you are looking for above and lots more. You can peruse the manual on their website. Actually fairly easy to program from the front panel.

lakeside53
12-30-2010, 08:27 PM
www.dealerselectric.com will ship to you...

Many choices. Almost all VFD's do what you want, and much more

PeteF
12-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Mike, I think all those parameters should be straightforward. You don't need forward/reverse?

millwrong
12-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Talk to your local bearing supply houses. I'm in the wrong province, however places like Kinicor, BC bearing, etc. Talking to them will get you what you need at a price that you want. A cup of coffee and the phone book aughta' do it.

36Chief
12-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Try
www.trilliumcontrols.com
http://www.vfdsolutions.com/contact.html

Duffy
12-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Mike, you wont find one for that price in Canada. I checked with a couple of Controls companies in Ottawa, and they cant even come close! Order from Dealersdirect or wherever in the US, have it shipped UPS to the UPS store in Ogdensburg NY. They will hold it for you to pick up. They charge $5.00 for the service. You will have to declare it and pay the HST on it at the border. If you go down with an empty tank, your cost will almost be covered by the saving on a gas fillup. Oh, and be SURE to have them include an invoice with it so you can proove what it costs-Canada Customs gets snarky if you dont have the paperwork. (How do I know?)

gargoyle
12-31-2010, 12:49 PM
I found my 3 HP Mitsubishi VDF thru Kijiji for $240 ( http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-VFDs-AC-drives-DC-drives-W0QQAdIdZ247995362 ). Very reasonable and good to deal with. He is in Kitchener Ontario which is about 4 hours drive from you. I live in the area and would be glad to help out.

MotorradMike
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I am waiting on responses from a few emails and am reading through the manual for a potential used Mitsubishi A200 which has a reverse function.

PeteF: I didn't think I needed reverse and can't think what I'd use it for??

gargoyle
01-05-2011, 09:09 AM
The 3hp rated Mitsubishi A200 VFD is the one I'm using to run my 2 hp mill. Very happy with it.

MotorradMike
01-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Gargoyle:
I sent you a PM.

MaxHeadRoom
01-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I have the Mitsubishi Training Manual for the A200 if you need it.
Max.