PDA

View Full Version : herbert #5 senior pre optive lathe?

wrenchbender
12-30-2010, 08:50 PM
i was out today looking at a latheit turns out it's a turret lathe and a big one to boot.
http://www.pembinavalleyonline.com/images/com_adsmanager/ads/42992a.jpg
the current owner is willing to trade me for my lincoln welder 250 amp
what do you guy think about this machine and the trade?
it is powered by a 15 hp 575 v
i had it running and every thing seems to work, it is a little tight though.
the only thing that i don't like about this machine is the working lenght is about 2 ft.

rockrat
12-30-2010, 10:06 PM
If your thinking about production, then that lathe may fit the bill. Just realize that it is not an engine lathe. They both have their place and while they make similar items, the two machines have different purposes.

What type of Lincoln welder are you trading him? A standard buzz box or something nicer?

rock~

wrenchbender
12-30-2010, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=rockrat]
What type of Lincoln welder are you trading him? A standard buzz box or something nicer?

wirematic 250 mig

Liger Zero
12-31-2010, 12:56 AM
I had a giant W&S turret lathe dated from the early 1940s pass through my hands awhile ago. Old war vet, in very good condition. The ways had been built up and ground back into shape, everything was tight, and it ran perfectly.

Sadly, I didn't have a need then (nor do I have a need now) to blast out 3" diameter parts.

Someone did end up buying it though! It's currently living at a truck repair company not too far from here. :)

Oldbrock
12-31-2010, 01:23 AM
Ran a 9B 30 for a few years and it sat on its own concrete pad raised 8" over the floor hight putting the controls at a more useful level. Does it have screwcutting ability and a taper attachment as per 9B 30? Good solid machine, used to reduce od of 4340 by 1" per pass if needed. 25 horses on the spindle and a 3/4 hp coolant pump. You could get a bit damp if not careful. Wear a big faceshield, she really makes the chips fly. Peter

Mark McGrath
12-31-2010, 03:57 AM
That`s a very good swap.It`s not an old machine either.Basically bombproof these things will last forever with not a lot of maintenance.
Once you get used to the pre-op you can really knock things out on these.
Manuals are always available too.