X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doctor demo
    • Apr 2006

Layout fluid die...died

I needed to ''paint'' up some steel ,and when I opened up the bottle of blue die it looked like watered down iodine. Shaking and stirring had no affect. A few weeks or maybe a month ago it was fine. The bottle is probably 10 years old and with exception of using it occasionally it has been on the shelf in the same place for it's entire life.
    Did it suddenly die, or did it die slowly over the last few weeks? Is there a way to resurrect it ?

Steve
  • squirrel
    • Mar 2009

That stuff smells like lacquer, so maybe some lacquer thinner will perk it back up. I am assuming by died you mean it has become a solid mass.

Comment

• John Stevenson
      • Mar 2001

R.I.P. . .

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• JoeFin
        • Jul 2007

Did it Freeze ?

That will effect many water based paints even after they thaw out

Comment

• Evan
          • May 2003

Try putting some baking soda in it to bring up the ph. The stuff goes bad with time and the colour disappears. It doesn't settle out because it is a dye and not a pigment. If the baking soda doesn't succeed then it is dead.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• TGTool
            • Aug 2005

Old Blue Died (poor thing)

I've had the same thing happen with spotting blue. I was having a hell of a time making out the contact points because they were a very light blue which didn't stand out much from the background. Other people seemed to be able to see the spots just fine. When I got Michael Morgan's DVD with the video showing his spotting he had a wonderfully dark blue pattern. So I ordered a new tube of blue and it was a revelation. I don't know what happens to the dye or pigment but it somehow deteriorates.
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• 38_Cal
              • Dec 2007

I've had a few containers of Dykem Blue die on me over the years. Something evaporates out/changes in the bottle. Like you said, seemingly overnight. I now mostly use a wide Magic Marker for layout. Different colors, even! Red shows up against blued gun steel quite a bit better than Dykem Blue.

David
              David Kaiser
              “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Pherdie
                • Jan 2003

Hey Steve!

If you need some in a hurry, let me know.....

Fred

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
                  • Aug 2002

R.I.P. . .

rust in peace add some irish whuskey to it then drink it ol blue lips is back
                  Alistair
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• Evan
                    • May 2003

The reason it happens "overnight" is because the solution is gradually becoming acidic as the dye breaks down. The dye acts as a pH indicator solution and is very sensitive to the exact pH. Within a very small range of pH it turns from dark blue to light pink. I haven't looked it up but I suspect the dye is methylene blue or something similar. It decomposes naturally to form acidic compounds such as CO2. As the solution becomes more acidic the decomposition accelerates as the acidic conditions promote decomposition. At some point the pH dividing line is crossed and the solution changes colour rapidly. Addition of a base material can bring it back to a dark blue if it hasn't entirely decomposed.

The layout dye is sensitive to oxygen and to light as well as acid. Any one or combination will cause it to degrade faster.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• bborr01
                      • Jul 2007

We used Dykem layout die in our tool rooms and die room. I believe it is alcohol based to make it dry out fast. We used denatured alcohol to thin it down.

If I was assigned to a non machining area for an extended period of time, my layout die would thicken up and not work well.

I would bring it to the crib and add a little alcohol. Works like a charm.

Brian
                      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• doctor demo
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Pherdie
                        If you need some in a hurry, let me know.....
                        Fred
                        Thanks Fred, When I needed it (in a hurry) on Thursday I went to Scott Machine and to Fastenall because I can throw a rock and hit them from the shop....but a wasted trip. So I improvised and used a marker.
                        Thought I would have heard from You this week on another mater.

Steve

Comment

• bborr01
                          • Jul 2007

Steve,

Have you tried mixing denatured alcohol with your layout die yet?

Brian
                          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• doctor demo
                            • Apr 2006

To every one else that has offered a possible answer or fix, Thanks!

Well, I going to try the baking soda suggestion and see if it does anything. I have a bottle of red Dykem, or it was red the last time I saw it. If I can find it at home I'll take it to the shop on Monday.

It didn't get any warmer or colder recently than what it has been used to over the rest of it's life.

No it isn't a solid, it looks like John's day old coffee watered down with iodine and kerosene.

Comment

• doctor demo
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by bborr01
                              Steve,

Have you tried mixing denatured alcohol with your layout die yet?

Brian
                              Nope, it is at the shop . The only alky that I've mixed today was some bourbon with a couple of ice cubes.

But I'll take some (denatured) not bourbon alky along with the baking soda on Monday and set up a chemistry experiment.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X