PDA

View Full Version : 5 Cyl. Radial Engine Video

brian Rupnow
01-01-2011, 09:39 AM
George Bulliss and crew were kind enough to post plans of the radial engine I designed in the January 2011 issue of The Home Shop Machinist. If any of you are interested in it, here is a link to the video on Youtube.---Brian Rupnow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuB7YPVqKC4&feature=email&email=comment_received

John Stevenson
01-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Nice,
First thing I thought of was a Turkish belly dancer.

Slight pause for some asinine Tiffiepedia remark.

Don't know why it was just the first thing that came into my head. :D

You are to be commended on the time and work you have put into this to show the end result for other to share - thanks.

wierdscience
01-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Very nice engine Brian,haven't bought that issue of HSM yet,is it a single copy article,or broken up over several issues?

Lew Hartswick
01-01-2011, 10:48 AM
It would be even neeter in slow motion.
...lew...

mike os
01-01-2011, 10:55 AM
nice :D

Weston Bye
01-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Brings to mind a scene in the '50s movie Operation Petticoat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Petticoat
where a broken spring or linkage on the submarine engine or pump was replaced with a woman's elastic girdle, rigged such that it inadvertently provided a humerous and suggestive movement.

brian Rupnow
01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Very nice engine Brian,haven't bought that issue of HSM yet,is it a single copy article,or broken up over several issues?
Its spread over more than one issue, but I' not sure how many.---Brian

S_J_H
01-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Great job and it runs real nice.

Is it based off of the "hula hula" design?

Steve

brian Rupnow
01-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Great job and it runs real nice.

Is it based off of the "hula hula" design?

Steve

Not really. The hula-hula design that I seen a video of had stacked connecting rods and offset cylinders. I wanted to design one closer to a true radial engine where all of the cylinders are in line and all the con rods go to a common journal and are all in line instead of being stacked.

Al Messer
01-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Brian, you continue to amaze me with your designs and workmanship! Keep up the good work!!

Al

noah katz
01-02-2011, 02:27 AM
I am seeing it right that the cylinders wiggle?

DFMiller
01-02-2011, 03:10 AM
Brian,
Nice job. Looking forward to getting the magazine.
Dave

Circlip
01-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Not really. The hula-hula design that I seen a video of had stacked connecting rods and offset cylinders. I wanted to design one closer to a true radial engine where all of the cylinders are in line and all the con rods go to a common journal and are all in line instead of being stacked.

C'mon Brian, your original "Design" was going to have stacked con rods, you were advised to research "Master conrod"

Regards Ian.

brian Rupnow
01-02-2011, 08:02 AM
I am seeing it right that the cylinders wiggle?

Yes you are Noah. That type of cylinder arrangement is called a "wobbler". There are many great examples of single and twin cylinder wobbler type angines.

brian Rupnow
01-02-2011, 08:06 AM
C'mon Brian, your original "Design" was going to have stacked con rods, you were advised to research "Master conrod"

Regards Ian.

Yes Ian, and when I did, I wanted to design one with a " master conrod" on it. Not all design in this world springs from an original thought that has never been thought of beforre by someone else. Design is a process of evolution. The few people in this world who had a conpletely original thought are now all living on tropical islands with hot and cold running maids.

noah katz
01-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Yes you are Noah. That type of cylinder arrangement is called a "wobbler". There are many great examples of single and twin cylinder wobbler type angines.

Wow, it seems like all the extra moving mass would hurt efficiency and create lots of problems in a real IC engine.

brian Rupnow
01-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Wow, it seems like all the extra moving mass would hurt efficiency and create lots of problems in a real IC engine.
Noah---That design of cylinder was mainly used on steam engines, not internal combustion. I have actually seen pictures of oscillating or "wobbler" i.c. engines, but they were very rare. That type of small steam engine was very popular for marine use, because there were so few moving parts. No valves were required, as the rocking motion of the cylinder uncovered pressure and exhaust ports into the cylinder at the correct time in the cycle. Here is a picture of a pair of single cylinder "wobbler" engines. The one with the clear line running to it is operating on compressed air.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/wobbler001.jpg

noah katz
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I see, that makes more sense, thanks.

When I hear "radial", I always think of IC aircraft engines.