PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

John Stevenson
01-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Oh BTW I bought one of those 40 amp inverter plasma cutters today.

Dead impressed, small enough to fit into my wallet now there is no money in it, I wanted something to cut 6mm and sever 8mm if pushed, This thing cuts clean on 8mm and can sever 12mm.

Tried it out at the suppliers workshop before I bought it, they also do repairs to these inverter welders and plasm cutters so paid a bit extra to get a 2 year unlimited warranty for piece of mind.

Also bought a big handful of tips and ceramics

Pics tomorrow, bed time now and I have to fit ends on it suitable for my air system.

recoilless
01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Oh BTW I bought one of those 40 amp inverter plasma cutters today.

Dead impressed, small enough to fit into my wallet now there is no money in it, I wanted something to cut 6mm and sever 8mm if pushed, This thing cuts clean on 8mm and can sever 12mm.

Pics tomorrow, bed time now and I have to fit ends on it suitable for my air system.

How much did you pay...(in quid)?

John Stevenson
01-03-2011, 09:18 PM
How much did you pay...(in quid)?

257.99 that was cutter + extra year +10 sets of extended tips and 4 normal

John Stevenson
01-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Walked up the road today, at least 150 yards to get a new airline fitting but the Pneumatics shop was closed ?
Bugger, so walked down the road 1/4 mile to the bearing company and got one.

Bastard isn't it when you have to travel miles to get stuff.

Connected it up and sorted some bits of plate out.
Started off with some 4mm alloy, whistled thru it and the cut was quite decent, it looks worse than it is.
Has dross on the underside but comes off with a scape from a file.

Pics tomorrow i forgot to take the camera into the shop and I'm not going back out tonight, dark and haunted.

Then a bit of 3mm steel, very smooth, I reckon with a motorised feed or CNC this would be as good as laser, clean on top, some dross on the bottom but it knocks straight of leaving the cut surface clean.

6mm steel cuts nice as well, knock-able off dross and some cutting styrations but certainly passable.

Couldn't find a scrap bit of 8mm so grabbed a 10mm disk, turned it right up and it cut OK with the exception I need practise on this thickness as it didn't blow thru all the way and when it was twisted apart it had rewelded in a couple of places.
Still impressed as it's not made for 10mm plate.

So all in all very impressed and this should get some use.
I have big Cebora 90 amp model but it's big, runs off 440 volts on a 32 amp plug, of which I only have one and to be honest it's that much of a pain to get out and use it nearly brand new.

Rang the supplier up today and he's going to send a new plug for the torch trigger, My idea is to fit a length of box section to the bed of the big CNC to hold the torch over a temporary cutting table at the side that can be thrown outside when not needed.

If I mount a switch in a stationary tool holder and put a piece of mdf on the bed to cover the slots I can use the Z feed of a program to switch the plasma on and off whilst the table moves in X and Y.

First thing to check is to start the plasma up at the side of the CNC whilst it's doing an air cut to see how 'hardened' it is for EMP if that passes I reckon it's a runner.

Alistair Hosie
01-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Let us have the name of it too John.Alistair

MotorradMike
01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Will it cut through a Bridgy?

John Stevenson
01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Will it cut through a Bridgy?

No, only cuts metal won't touch wood plastic or high tensile licorice.

John Stevenson
01-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Update,

Did some trial cuts on various materials as previously posted.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/plasma%204mm%20alloy.jpg

This is the 4mm thick alloy

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/plasma%206mm%20steel.jpg

6mm thick steel.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/plasma%2010mm%20steel.jpg

10mm thick steel, you can see where it didn't cut clean which was my fault in not keeping a constant cutting feed, the handraulics were shaking.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/plasma%20machine.jpg

The machine.

The Cut40 people do alter something inside these to run better on our mains, whetehr that applies to US machines I don't know.

One thing I did try the other day and that was to run the big CNC air cutting then cut a sheet of steel at the side of it with this machine to see if it affects the CNC, I know the big Cebora will crash the computer but this one was fine.

One idea I have is to stick a piece of box section off the end of the bed and put the torch on it, then put a sheet of MDF on the bed and put a push button switch in the spindle [ spindle not running ]

The Z axis can then switch the plasma on and the X and Y cut the shape out on a piece of sheet at the side of the machine on a sub table frame.
The switch will just travel across the MDF sheet as the bed moves.
This will give me a working area of 14" x 34" which should do for anything I need.

All I need do is code the machine using a cutter of say 1mm to match the kerf width, [ ned to measure this ] and inhibit the spindle motor which on this is easy to do, hit estop then don't reset the inverter.

I could even write a post processor for it

wierdscience
01-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Nice looking unit there John,ever notice it only takes 40 amps to cut something apart,but 100 amps to weld it back together?:D

Two things I have learned about plasma cutters,one if you use straight edges for freehand cutting,make sure they are non-metallic,plywood/fiber board etc.The tips and electrodes will last longer.

The other,doing a bunch of cutting indoors requires a good vaccum blower to exhaust the smoke,that s--- is nasty:eek:

squirrel
01-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Is it from India or China?

gda
01-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Looks like the LOTOS.

Works better than I would have thought it would, great that you could get a warranty.

John Stevenson
01-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Is it from India or China?

China,
the Indians ones explode after 10