PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mistakenly deleted all contacts in AOL address book

Black Forest
01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a big problem. Wife mistakenly deleted all contacts in our business aol address book. I believe from my google searches that the address are stored on the server so a system restore won't help.

Any idea's on how to get my address book back. We do not have a back up of the address book unless it would be in the c:drive image backup but because the addresses are stored on the server I don't think that would help.

moe1942
01-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Did you look in the recycle bin? Your address book is still on your hard drive. Go to start, type address book in the search block. You may see administrator if so click on it and click import. That's the way it works on my computer.

If that doesn't work it can be retrieved but I think it needs some registry searching.

Evan
01-04-2011, 11:39 AM
See this solution

http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_us/articles.php?boardId=486813&articleId=11445&func=5&channel=Computers+%26+Electronics

Black Forest
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
She didn't actually delete the address book itself. Within the AOL software in the address book she reorganized the address book into categories and groups. Then she went to all contacts and deleted two entries to see if they were still in the groups she added them to. They were so she went back and deleted all the contacts in the all contact tab. Then everything was gone.

Evan
01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Login to AOL and check your contacts list while online.

moe1942
01-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm programmed not to see AOL.

Black Forest
01-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Aol tech support says they are gone. No chance to recover them.

The upside to this is the wife said I had been in such a good mood lately and aren't there some other machines I need to buy!!!!!!

This might be a blessing in disguise!

Actually not but I might as well milk it for what I can!

This will require weeks or work to repair the situation.

She has used AOL for as long as she has had internet. I hate the AOL software on any computer. I won't use it or install any aol software on any of my computers. She is finally ready to switch to real software for out business needs. I had warned her about saving and exporting her address book. We do a backup every night to the system but that doesn't help with the AOL address book because it is not stored on the local computer.

So before the pain wears off I will buy a really good bandsaw!

mike os
01-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Not all bad news then :D

gary350
01-04-2011, 04:43 PM
No it was not a mistake. Delete AOL too. That is one program I will NOT have on my computer it takes over like a virus.

mike os
01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
takes over like a virus.

odd you should say that.. last time I had to deal with this menace i ended up having to reinstall the OS to get it sorted..... good going for a hacked version of IE i thought:p

rowbare
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Depending on whether or not you keep all your old emails, you should be able to extract the most important addresses from them. If there a way of mass downloading the messages from AOL, then one could write a simple enough parser to extract email addresses from the message headers.

bob

DougC_582
01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
You might consider trying the OpenOffice database program. Not as polished as Microsoft Office maybe--but it's free, there's tons of tutorials online and it will do anything you'd need for a small business.
~