PDA

View Full Version : Bad day

Luke55
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
This morning was my shopping day. (read: local scrapwards tour). Since january first, nobody allowed in the wards. For selling you have to fill 2 sheets of informations. Pass the balance you have no autorisation to quit your truck. This will put some delays and expenses in my projects.

dalee100
01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi,

Well that puts and end to rummaging doesn't it. Maybe they got sued by an idiot.

dalee

justanengineer
01-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but thats the modern world of insurance, lawyers, and politicians "making the world a safer place" because most lack common sense anymore. The majority of scrap yards around my area (with the exception of u-pick auto places) are like that now. Very sad indeed.

The Artful Bodger
01-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Worse than that! All our local refuse land/fills have been made 'safe' years ago. Now it is a case of back the trailer up to the edge of a concrete pit and throw your stuff in, there is about a 20' drop down to the bottom where the hungry yellow machines are waiting to scoop it up and whisk it away. No chance for 'recycling' anything back to the shop nowadays.:confused:

Oldbrock
01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
That's totally stupid. My last trip to the dump I came home with a length of 3/4 sucker rod (4340), a motor bike that just needed a new piston, works great now. 4' of 2" 1045 T & G, and a 1' square of 1 1/2" steel plate. Now, to keep us safe they won't let anyone near the place except to drop off stuff.:mad: Peter

Carld
01-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Not all scrap yards are against selling but most here are. They buy and your not getting it back.

Luke55
01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
at my last visit I pick up a set of front wheel for my mower deck. Cub dealer want $80. each

RussZHC
01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Reduce, REUSE, recycle

seems to me governments come up with these slogans, so, typically, their rules skip over that middle one in this case...not sure what it is like locally (have not been yet this year) but not sure what happens if I can't scrounge, it maybe one of few machining related task I do well now.

I gotta sign a waiver near everywhere else (i.e. sports, group travel) so why not just make it more elaborate and do that for this?

sasquatch
01-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Scrap yards in my area are pretty well off limits also to anyone looking for project items.
We lost a great one a few years ago when the owner passed away, a great place, you could drop in there, bring your,e own tools or,, and travel the yard browsing, most everything was separated into different areas, old machinery, farm equipment, engines, pumps, a huge pile of chainsaws and lawnmowers, old vehichles, old stove parts etc etc.
Then inside his shop was a special item area to browse, containing any old tools, brass items etc.
We only have one rural landfill left that locals can still pick at, a few finds are still arriving,, but as time goes on most of the old stuff is no more, instead it,s filling up with broken plastic crap, appliances, etc.

Very sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Black_Moons
01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Yea im really wondering why they don't just have a liability waver.
"Warning: Entering yard of unstable, poorly stacked junk, Enter at own risk, Death/dismemberment may occure from walking too close to large piles. Infection may result from cuts/scraps, Yadayada, Sign Life away here:'

Davo J
01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Your lucky it has just happened.
The local scrap yard here has been no go for walking around for years, and you have to fill out a form for selling over $50 to them (even for cans) and state where it came from.
The dumps wont allow you to pick anything up on the site and have sheds on the way out (that have been tendered for) where you can buy things at highly inflated prices. So much for recycling.

Dave

Blueskys
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Get the other man's junk before it goes to the scrap/dumps?
Be more aggresive in getting the word out that you're a guy that's
always looking for old machine parts and materials to putter with?
Train female friends and relatives to be garage sale scouts?
Don't be bashful about talking to the local small businesses and your
buddies that work at them?

polepenhollow
01-07-2011, 07:57 PM
When I go to the recyclers and dump in Marysville Wa., the hardest thing I have to do is to keep from going "OVER THE EDGE' when something tasty goes into the pit.
My son or my attendant [caretaker !!!!] friends must grab me by the belt and hang on.
K Liv

Oldbrock
01-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Second post. I have joined a Yahoo group called freecycle. Before I take anything to the dump that someone else may be able to use, post it on freecycle and someone usually turns up to put it to use. Browse the same site to save something getting dumped that you can use. Peter

saltmine
01-07-2011, 08:35 PM
We still have dumps, here in Arizona. Only they're called "Swap Meets" and the junk just keeps circulating.

914Wilhelm
01-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Worse than that! All our local refuse land/fills have been made 'safe' years ago. Now it is a case of back the trailer up to the edge of a concrete pit and throw your stuff in, there is about a 20' drop down to the bottom where the hungry yellow machines are waiting to scoop it up and whisk it away. No chance for 'recycling' anything back to the shop nowadays.:confused:

It's worse than that here. You have to dump your crap 10' in front of the pit because some Dip stick once fell in when he forgot to let go of what he was throwing away. After someone picks at your debris they push it in with a loader. They charge $15.00/cubic yard unless they think you compressed it, then it's double! At the same local yard they even want you pay THEM to throw away your scrap metal into their metal pile!

Arcane
01-07-2011, 09:42 PM
......... You have to dump your crap 10' in front of the pit because some Dip stick once fell in when he forgot to let go of what he was throwing away.

Years ago here a young Apprentice Lineman was cleaning off the truck at a town dump and was throwing burnables onto their burning pit, which had a decent enough blaze going. He had a wood pallet that needed to burn so he picked it up over his head and threw it onto the fire. Only problem was, there were still a couple of steel straps attached to the pallet and one of them hooked his neck. The weight and momentum of the pallet (combined with his not expecting) it launched him fully on top of the fire. Luckily it was winter and his heavy clothing provided enough protection that he received just a few very light burns. I can't imagine what went through his mind as he felt himself getting closer and closer to the fire! :D

Ken_Shea
01-07-2011, 10:16 PM
There is one close to me that will still let you rummage, bring your tools and have at it, pay them 20 a pound and be on your way, the rest are all gone and there were plenty at one time not all that long ago. I've had some incredible finds/values there. I don't go as often as I would like, by reason of you buy too often stuff you don't need, like many hear from what I've read.:)

gellfex
01-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Round here there are metal guys that circulate the neighborhoods on recycle night in beaten up old pickups. Although my work requires mostly specific AL extrusions & delrin, I imagine if I chatted them up and told them I was interested in decent looking stock and would pay more than the scrapyard, they'd be calling on me.

Before the dump out at my folks on Long Island became "no scrounge" I found a slightly rusty Kennedy box there! some time with a wire wheel and I had a classic. That dump does have a recycle area for stuff people think someone else might want like books & bedframes, but metal stock doesn't really fit that bill.

The Artful Bodger
01-08-2011, 12:01 AM
We live about half a mile from the local city landfill. I was well established as a bone fide junque collector and my friends would bring back interesting stuff they might see there, of course one othe obligations of my status was that I must accept gracefully whatever it was they brought to me! Old clocks, electric motor, "heavy" electronics etc, it made quite a pile over the years.

One day when I was there throwing stuff off the trailer I saw a battery clock lying in mud still ticking! So of course I gave it a reprieve and almost ten years later it is still ticking on my workshop wall.

polepenhollow
01-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Years ago here a young Apprentice Lineman was cleaning off the truck at a town dump and was throwing burnables onto their burning pit, which had a decent enough blaze going. He had a wood pallet that needed to burn so he picked it up over his head and threw it onto the fire. Only problem was, there were still a couple of steel straps attached to the pallet and one of them hooked his neck. The weight and momentum of the pallet (combined with his not expecting) it launched him fully on top of the fire. Luckily it was winter and his heavy clothing provided enough protection that he received just a few very light burns. I can't imagine what went through his mind as he felt himself getting closer and closer to the fire! :D

From one of my previous mentors, "Jody Kramer", to me; as I was in my apprentice distress while doing something. "Why Don't You Wake The **** Up Boy" ; as he would stand there laughing and slapping his thigh.
Another comment of Jody's was "Why don't you wake the **** up and smell the "Instant Decaf Sanka" you asshole"?
This was usually followed by gales of laughter from him.

K Liv