PDA

View Full Version : UPS rant

Randolph
01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I know it has to happen once in a while --- but that doesn't make it any easier to take. I sold a blade welder to a fellow in Missouri via Craigslist and shipped it UPS. It was properly packaged and weighed 51 pounds so it didn't fall down a crack somewhere. It never got there. I got a form from UPS telling me that they cannot prove delivery so I have filed a claim. Ahhh, well!!

madwilliamflint
01-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Does the tracking just sorta fall off a cliff? Or does it say delivered? (Not that either really "mean" anything. Just curious.)

BigMike782
01-07-2011, 10:49 PM
My recent expirience with UPS was damage to a package that could not be found until the driver had a signature and was long gone so refusing the package was not an option.
I called UPS to file a claim and found that they make that process so frustrating that they hope you will give up.......they never met my Daddys boy;) I kept on the trail like stink on a monkey and finally after about a week they agreed to pay the claim.
Good luck getting your issue resolved!:)

Black_Moons
01-07-2011, 10:55 PM
UPS in my experiance sucks!
I recently came across a scan of something I made...
$200.87 declared value true sine inverter, Shiped from the USA to canada.
UPS wanted $77.02 ON DELIVERY! of taxes, import dutys, bull**** fees and other bull!
Only $24.10 of that was tax btw. And that was AFTER explictly telling the guy to ship via USPS ONLY, and getting a USPS quote, and paying that amount, They sent it UPS for $10 cheaper.
I MADE them pay the $77.02 in the end.

USPS I almost never pay tax (+$5 handling) unless customs has opened and inspected the package (?? No idea why they don't think to charge packages they don't inspect but whatever)

Dr Stan
01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
I called UPS to file a claim and found that they make that process so frustrating that they hope you will give up.......they never met my Daddys boy;) I kept on the trail like stink on a monkey and finally after about a week they agreed to pay the claim.

Had a similar experience a year or so ago. I bought a 8" Baldor grinder off Craigslist in the Boston area. The owner took it to a UPS store had it packaged and sent to me. Well the store did a crap job and one of the tool rests was broken upon arrival. I went through more crap to get them to pay up than you could believe. Overall I've had much better success with USPS than UPS.

hardtail
01-07-2011, 11:29 PM
UPS in my experiance sucks!

(?? No idea why they don't think to charge packages they don't inspect but whatever)

Careful BM's you might start giving them ideas..........yes USPS is the best and yes, UPS and their outrageous brokerage fees suck..........

dockrat
01-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Rant/The Travelocity Gnome has nothing on my Starrett micrometer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I ordered this starrett 4-5 digital mic fron an Ebay outfit in Texas. After begging him in large block capital letters to “PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send by USPS and NOT by UPS”, guess what…you got it…he sent it UPS and there started the adventure from Texas to Ashcroft, British Columbia Canada

Leon Valley TX to San Antonio TX
San Antonio to Richmond BC Canada (this was just an electronic paper clearance request to customs)
Richmond BC to Mesquite Texas
Mesquite TX. to Selina Kansas
Selina Kansas to Commerce City Co.
Commerce City Co. to Richmond BC Canada
Richmond BC to Salt lake City UT. (sat here 3 days)
Salt Lake City UT. To Hermiston Oregon
Hermiston Or. To Redmond Wash
Redmond Wash to Richmond B.C. Canada
Richmond BC to Kamloops B.C. ( At this point it was 60 miles and 1 hour away from me. It sat there 3 days And then for some unknown reason someone scanned in a notation saying “address in a remote area..no daily delivery) Which is kinda strange because I am 3 blocks and less than 1 minute drive from the courier’s agent in this lil town and the delivery guy drives past my house every day. (Shrug)
Kamloops back to Richmond B.C…300 miles away again.Sat here 4 days till someone phoned me and cleared up the “remote” thing. Meanwhile, ever since it hit Kamloops I must have made 15 phone calls to both UPS and their sub agent Puralator trying to find this thing. They each claimed the other one had it.
Richmond to Kamloops
Kamloops to Ashcroft OMG!!! IT’S HERE!!!!!! But with a $36.00 brokerage fee. If it had come USPS like I asked there would have been no fee. So from Feb 10 to March 3 this thing traveled all around North America. Gawd I hate UPS. I have got things from DX in China faster than that. Anyone else got UPS horror stories. At least it was in good shape on delivery

Davo J
01-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Harvey Norman a big chain store over here in Australia, tried to get the government to charge GST on all goods from overseas because it was not fair to the retailers over here (including him) that didn't go to well with the government or citizens so then he tried goods over $400 but it was rejected.
At the moment it is $1000 and over with customs before getting import duties.
I was worried when I bought my DRO's from Meister in Singapore for $2150 but he marked them as machine spares at a value of $150.:D

As for postage from the US I have had good luck so far.

Dave

JRouche
01-08-2011, 12:13 AM
I havent had as much problems with UPS as some of you. I did have a couple (over 15 years) and I wasnt the shipper. So the shipper had to return my money and file a claim with UPS.

NO... USPS is worse for filling a claim. They dont have near the tracking info that UPS does. Its like once it hits the massive USPS bulk of packages it may be gone forever.

Now, there are other shippers to be used. Fedex seems to get over looked for heavier packages. Maybe cause folks think of them as the light weight, get it there NOW shipper.

But they have pretty good rates on heavy packages also.

But for the most part with damaged packages or missing packages with UPS it has always been because the shipper failed to package the item correctly.

Specially with very heavy items. The box gets damaged due to improper packing materials.

For example. Buying some metal rods from enco. They used to try and ship them in a box with some stuffing. Problem was the rods were heavy. By the time I got the package it was evident the rods poked through the box and were prolly flying all over the place. When I got it the box was taped up like a mummy. With the damaged box under the tape. Im sure UPS gathered up all the rods and put them in the original box and taped it up in a cocoon. I didnt care so much, it was just some oil hardening rod, cant hurt that even if it was flying outta the box, as long as I got it (all the pieces), and I did.

Now enco ships the rods out in a heavy cardboard tube. With metal end caps. Not much fun to open, buts its a better method of packaging.

Proper packaging is a must.

And yes, I have had a couple of the around the world in 30 days packages. Nice thing about tracking numbers. The package did finally arrive. But it took a trip around the states for a lil vacation before it got to me, on UPS fuel bucks. JR

BigBoy1
01-08-2011, 08:20 AM
I don't have a clue how UPS determines their shipping fees. I recently shipped two packages from my location in NC, one weigh 0.5 lbs and went to MA and another weighing 5 lbs and went to TN. The approximate distance from the shipping point to the destination was just about equal.

I was charges $11 to ship the 0.5 lb package to MA and $6 to ship the 5 lb package to TN. It cost twice as much to ship a package that was 1/10 the weight approximately the same distance. Carrying this reasoning to its conclusion - it will cost an infinite amount of money to ship nothing!

gary350
01-08-2011, 08:39 AM
UPS is usually one of the best shippers it is rare to have any trouble with my package. I have shipped over 4000 packages with them.

USPS is hard to deal with because they are the government. I have had lots of lost and damage packages.

Liger Zero
01-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I have found... that if you ship directly to a UPS store box or a commercial/industrial site there are ZERO problems. Same with the Fed Ex.

The drivers who handle the residential stuff... No idea. Must be cut from a more dishonest cloth or in general more inclined to dishonesty and theft than the ones with the industrial/commercial routes. It could also be they figure Joe Shmuck in a house isn't likely to have the stones to bother UPS over something -- while the CEO of Evil Bastard Molding Company is likely to cause a hassle.

When I had stuff shipped to my house it would arrive late, broken or not at all. Switched to having everything arrive via the UPS store or the dock at "work," zero problems.

RussZHC
01-08-2011, 09:09 AM
It could also be they figure Joe Shmuck in a house isn't likely to have the stones to bother UPS over something

that's it exactly what I don't get is how the corporate view is to let this situation exist, because clearly it does but at some point money is money and reputation catches up with you...those schmucks have to work somewhere...

While I agree about getting items sent to "stores", UPS or FedEx or whomever, what I don't like is in a way, they are not doing their job completely since you now have to go and pick it up at their "house", any differences of opinion at a lower level, they now have "home court advantage"

Blueskys
01-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I ship and receive daily with UPS and to a lesser extent USPS. Never had a
problem with either one. My UPS drivers are pleasant, courteous and all around
excellent. And my rural postal deliverer is a very nice looking woman and she never fails to deliver.

I guess I am still awed by the ease of buying and selling over the internet,
being able to track the shipments and getting prompt pick up and delivery
at my shop doorstep.

I am such an easy slut.

Liger Zero
01-08-2011, 10:40 AM
And my rural postal deliverer is a very nice looking woman and she never fails to deliver.

The above comment needs to be validated with photographic evidence.

I am such an easy slut.

Wait... you or her?

:D

Blueskys
01-08-2011, 11:04 AM
The above comment needs to be validated with photographic evidence.

I could do some CAD drawings. 3-D. Cinema quality rendering. Animation.
On second thought, forget it. All I have is Bobber. The Bob is great for squares and circles.

J Tiers
01-08-2011, 11:29 AM
USPS has broken things, BUT, in EVERY CASE, the claim filing was easy..... in one case it was hard, but the USPS employee wanted ME to fill out the form that was for internal use only. That USPS office was cleaned out shortly after that, and is now a good one.

UPS.... yes, you have to pack very well. But that is because the UPS folks break everything, or try to.

Residential vs business? BULLCRAP..... it all goes through the SAME sorting system. And there is the problem......

If the box breaks open, there will be more than one that does. Then they don't know what to do, and it sll is swept up and taken away, they don't know what was in which box, and don't much care. Maybe you get the piece of cardboard with the address on it, maybe not.

packing? You bet.... I KNOW what UPS requires, I had to do a re-package project for my prior employer, as we had too much getting broken shipping to businesses (music stores, including big ones).

Most people put it in a box and call it good..... Totally ignorant of what happens in shipping.

I bought a grinder from the guy in New jersey..... big box, small TP grinder, balled-up newspaper as packing..... arrived with spindle bent 45 deg.... and all accessories gone out the multiple holes in the box.....via UPS, but it wasn't their fault.

No pics of that

Pair of grinder centers.... heavy cast iron shipped by a private seller.....(not from ebay).

the boxes (USPS this time)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/GCpkg1.jpg

Inside #1, showing all "packing" provided.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/GCpkg2.jpg

Inside #2, showing all "packing" provided
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/GCpkg3.jpg

Liger Zero
01-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I could do some CAD drawings. 3-D. Cinema quality rendering. Animation.
On second thought, forget it. All I have is Bobcad. The Bob is great for squares and circles.

:eek: DO NOT EVER MENTION THAT NAME! EVER! If they see their name they will spam the forum worse than the Shape Changing Motorcycle Idiot!

Good Gravy, I grew up Mormon, did a turn as a Missionary and they use BobCad at the Missionary Training Center as an example of how NOT to run a sales pitch.

Deja Vu
01-08-2011, 01:25 PM
BobCad...BOBCAD, bobcad....BobCAD....
I use it...:D

uncle pete
01-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Well due to the tiny town I live in and the distance from any major tool supplier almost every item in my shop that weighs under 80 lbs. has come thru the mail system, UPS,USPS. I firmly believe that UPS computers are programed to look at the address, See Canada in that address and assumes that Canada means "Let's rape em". The brokerage fees are............!!!! Nope I can't use those words so you fill in the blanks. I'm not trying to change the subject but even as bad as UPS is, It's still cheaper by a fair ammout to order from the U.S. Pay shipping, Pay UPS their graft, Pay Canaduh customs/mafia their cut of the action than if I lived right next door to a Canadian KBC store. I'll bet Black Moons will back that statement up. I've also had the very same problem with shippers, I've requested USPS,Yet a large percentage of the time it's shipped UPS.

Pete

Liger Zero
01-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I use it...:D

I see the cult made a convert. :eek:

krutch
01-08-2011, 05:22 PM
The only problem I remember with UPS is when some package gets the 911 style address on it. UPS will pincel on the older address and it gets here on time. FEDX, when they can find me, (I haven't moved in 15 years) always takes an extra 3-5 days. I hate the 911 system! It has made my locale harder for people to find, but has gotten me three times the JUNK MAIL!!!!
I haven't had any broken pkgs. from UPS, but have from FEDX and USPS. One damaged item from UPS in unblemished box was chair 'spider' made of chinese plastic. Caster socket broken, called # on assemble instruction sheet and three days later got replacement part.
Most of tooling I order gets here next day and not with next day charges. May take longer when tool is on other side of country.

I've no complaints with UPS so far. Maybe luck maybe good UPS crew in my area.

alchymist
01-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Odd circumstance a while back - sold a gold coin on ebay, had to ship Pennsylvania to California. Sent it via USPS priority, tracking,insured, return receipt requested. Should have taken three days. Guy spent big bucks for a small coin, and was anxious. After a week he emailed and said he hadn't received it. Emailed a copy of the receipt and he went to his PO. They advised him to have me go to my PO. Was told nothing to be done until 30 days passed, however, postmaster asked me to fill out paperwork. Two weeks later, buyer email and said coin had turned up. Two days later I had my receipt. Just have to wonder where that package spent three weeks hiding.

38_Cal
01-08-2011, 07:19 PM
<snip> I've requested USPS,Yet a large percentage of the time it's shipped UPS.

Pete

The company I worked for used UPS whenever possible...they charged the customer the advertised rate, but with all the "discounts for volume", shipping was a profit center.

David

Black_Moons
01-08-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm not trying to change the subject but even as bad as UPS is, It's still cheaper by a fair ammout to order from the U.S. Pay shipping, Pay UPS their graft, Pay Canaduh customs/mafia their cut of the action than if I lived right next door to a Canadian KBC store. I'll bet Black Moons will back that statement up. I've also had the very same problem with shippers, I've requested USPS,Yet a large percentage of the time it's shipped UPS.

Pete

Yea pertty much.
And as I said, Do NOT put up with people sending UPS when you ask for USPS, MAKE THEM pay the dutys/import fees, And then they will realise chargeing you $30 for a USPS quoted shiping method, And then sending it via UPS for $20 is NOT going to make them profit when they have to pay the $30~100 worth of extra UPS rape dutys.

I ALLWAYS insure I ask first what the cost to ship USPS would be, And how to order the item and have it shiped USPS, Nowdays I don't even bother to look at the 'shipment method' page because they never give a canadian quote anyway.

Bill736
01-08-2011, 10:26 PM
My biggest problem getting mail or packages delivered is the fact that my neighbor across the road had a house built, and gave himself his own address. The house number is not consistant with the other 3 miles of my road, in that he gave himself an even number instead of an odd number, which he should have for that side of the road. That has confused delivery services such as UPS, FedEx, and the post office itself for years, and at least once a month there's a messup because of that. I even put large dayglow orange arrows on my mailbox, under my number, pointing up my driveway. That hasn't stopped the confusion. And, everybody who delivers packages to my house leaves the packages out in the rain or snow, despite my having a large covered porch across the front of my house that's closer to the driveway and delivery trucks than where they dump the packages. Some things I just don't understand.

gnm109
01-09-2011, 12:12 AM
My biggest problem getting mail or packages delivered is the fact that my neighbor across the road had a house built, and gave himself his own address. The house number is not consistant with the other 3 miles of my road, in that he gave himself an even number instead of an odd number, which he should have for that side of the road. That has confused delivery services such as UPS, FedEx, and the post office itself for years, and at least once a month there's a messup because of that. I even put large dayglow orange arrows on my mailbox, under my number, pointing up my driveway. That hasn't stopped the confusion. And, everybody who delivers packages to my house leaves the packages out in the rain or snow, despite my having a large covered porch across the front of my house that's closer to the driveway and delivery trucks than where they dump the packages. Some things I just don't understand.

When I moved into my home in 1977, we had a rural box address. Around 1980 or so, they changed to street numbers. Even though I'm 35 miles from downtown Sacramento, CA the numbers radiate out from First Street there.

My point is that we don't have the option of setting up our own addresses. I wonder why they permit that where you are. I can see why the delivery services are having trouble in your case.

I seldom have a problem wth UPS. They generally get my broken and smashed items to my address right on time. LOL. Sort of kidding. They only smashed one Lincoln Welder so far. It looked like it had been dropped out of an airplane without a parachute.

Happily I got another one from Lincoln. They sent it by a private freight company, :D

Bob Pastor
01-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Boy did I ever get an education this past month. I started shipping by UPS. I opened an account. Ordered my pre printed shipping labels and bought boxes.

I started shipping the middle of December, just two weeks before the monthly statements get mailed out.

I followed all the correct directions on the website and by telephone with their in house support people. Very helpful by the way but, they never told me about all the hidden charges.

I go to the website, generate a rate quote, make out my hand written label and call for a pickup. Here is what transpired.

The rate quoted was $9.10 to the given zip code. When the monthly invoice came in, the $9.10 turned into $32.31!

I called accounting to find out what the charges were for and expecting that they had made a mistake.

This is what I was told.

$9.10 + residential surcharge of $2.20+fuel surcharge+delivery area surcharge,+ I was charged $5.00 for the hand written shipping label because they have to enter it into their computers by hand, + $11.06 for residential pickup.

I'm still trying to find a helpful customer service rep who can tell me how to correctly find a correct rate quote.

I don't want to over charge my customers on shipping charges and make money. I'm only a small guy shipping now and then, so I can't ship with a flat rate like big companies. I don't know what I can do right now. USPS won't ship bottles of machine oil or I would use priority mail.

Anyone have any ideas?

Bob

Liger Zero
01-09-2011, 12:30 AM
It looked like it had been dropped out of an airplane without a parachute.

May have actually happened.

J Tiers
01-09-2011, 10:33 AM
I seldom have a problem wth UPS. They generally get my broken and smashed items to my address right on time. LOL. Sort of kidding. They only smashed one Lincoln Welder so far. It looked like it had been dropped out of an airplane without a parachute.

They told us that packages have to be able to withstand a 15 foot drop to a concrete floor, "because if a jam develops on the conveyor belt, packages can be pushed off".....

They also said that while it is against company policy, it does happen that if there is a jam in a chute, the employees may get in and jump on the pile to shift the jam. :eek:

As far as I can see , the story they told us, as a shipper who shipped enough that they had our company brands painted on the trailer they left every day, was that they were going to TRY to destroy the shipped product, and it was our responsibility to make sure that they could not do it.