PDA

View Full Version : Belt orientation on 2x72 sander

Boucher
01-08-2011, 10:26 AM
How critical is the directional orientation of the belts. After installing a VFD I tend to just reverse the direction for some operations. This results in the belt running the wrong way. I have some belts that the run direction arrows are becoming hard to see. So if I am running them in the wrong direction part of the time, is it important how they are oriented?

12teethperinch
01-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't think it matters on the newer belts as they are but sliced the older ones were lapped and if you ran them the wrong way you would catch the edge.
Darrell

lakeside53
01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Almost all of my quality belts have a direction arrow on them...

gary hart
01-08-2011, 01:17 PM
On belts that have the taped butt joint, I reverse the direction of the belt sometimes when they first start to get dull to get a little more use out of the sharp edges that face the other direction. Taped butt spliced joints don't seem to care which way they run. Arrow direction must be followed on belts that have the glued lapped joints.

J Tiers
01-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Taped butt spliced joints don't seem to care which way they run. Arrow direction must be followed on belts that have the glued lapped joints.

Taped belts also don't slam the part as they go by.........

but they "let go" for no reason sometimes.... had 2 in a row do that.... next one was fine.