PDA

View Full Version : OT the winter weather everyone is getting

vpt
01-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Watching the weather channel I find it funny how how they are saying in the southern states people are stocking up on water and food because there is snow coming. They are showing empty shelves in stores where people cleaned them out.

Really? Stock up because snow is coming? I know I am getting a laugh out of it, probably not the case for everyone.

So are you guys in the southern state stocking up on water and bread for the big snow storm? :D

Boucher
01-09-2011, 02:19 PM
You should come to Texas when we have Ice and Snow and see how people that are not use to it drive. You would stock up and stay off the street.

dp
01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
It is generally a good idea to prepare when unusual weather is projected. While it is seldom the case that you are stuck at home in snow conditions, staying at home and avoiding the unpleasantness of driving in the slop with 2 million inexperienced snow drivers makes sense. Even here in the Seattle area where snow is not uncommon we have 4-hour delays, spin-outs, stuck cars, and a bureaucracy that seems to frequently fail to respond to snow conditions. Doesn't help that we have some serious hills to drive over to get anywhere.

I vote for stocking up. Worst thing there is in a snow storm is to discover too late that you're out of beer.

vpt
01-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Well don't know about everyone else but beside the beer I am pretty sure we have enough food in the house at any given time to last at least 4 days maybe more. Water? Its not going to stop flowing out of the tap because of some snow on the ground outside.

I don't know maybe I am just to used to snow to understand how it can cause so much worry to people to go out and stock up on stuff like the end of the world is coming. Still I find it funny.

Evan
01-09-2011, 02:38 PM
We have a foot of snow and it is growing colder all this week. This is the forecast for next Saturday from weather city.

http://ixian.ca/pics8/cold.jpg

As for food we usually have about a 1 month supply.

sasquatch
01-09-2011, 03:00 PM
I find it funny,, well, not funny but actually silly how many people only have enough in stock for a day or two at a time.
Like,,,,,,, no problem,, if we run out i,ll just run out to the store and buy another days supply.
Everyone should in my opinion have a stock up list good for at least 30-40 days or even more, and keep it stocked up, having a regular time each year or every 6 months, to take stock, replenish what you need to go through a storm etc.
This includes firing up the generator on a regular shedule and run it for a half hour or so.
Medications, first aid supplies, extra eye glasses, lubricating oils, an auxilary heat source and things like that.
Makes things much more comfortable and pleasant to go through a bad storm etc.
I have no sympathy for people we hear about in the news, that when something happens, they don,t even have a flashlight, batteries, or even candles.

dp
01-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Well don't know about everyone else but beside the beer I am pretty sure we have enough food in the house at any given time to last at least 4 days maybe more. Water? Its not going to stop flowing out of the tap because of some snow on the ground outside.

One time around 1998 or so the water to the house stopped flowing. It was 18F outside at the time. The water pipe enters the house in the corner of my garage at a spot where there are two uninsulated walls and a long ago retired cat door. I suspected this was the source of freezing and held a hair dryer on that section of pipe and less than a minute later the water was running again.

J. Randall
01-09-2011, 03:04 PM

I don't know maybe I am just to used to snow to understand how it can cause so much worry to people to go out and stock up on stuff like the end of the world is coming. Still I find it funny.

Not really in the South, but even here it is not unusual for the bread and milk to fly off the shelves, if there is something major predicted. I would rather be a little overstocked than caught short. Given that we still had running water, I think I could go a month or two on what is in the house and not starve.
James

Tony Ennis
01-09-2011, 03:11 PM
vpt, KY isn't in the South, but people get stupid here when it snows. Some drive fast in it, like they haven't a clue that it can be slick. Some drive crazy slow, like every square inch of road is black ice. And they raid the grocery.

Carld
01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
yes, and 1" of snow will close all the schools here in Ky. The drivers slide off the road and slam into each other because they think they can still stop like it was a dry street. They tailgate and brake late as if the streets are dry. It's good for the body shops and they always like to see snow and ice here.

The police and emergency people hate snow because of all the fools driving and they mostly refuse to do accident reports and you have to exchange info without the police.

The grocery stores get a run on bread and milk around here and the liquor stores get busy as well.

I set in our home looking down on the city from our hill and relish in the fact I am ready. Power outage is my only concern.

EDIT: actually Ky is called the "Gate Way To The South" and crossing the Ohio river is considered entering the South. Ky was a border state in the Civil War and tried to be neutral but it was contentious to say the least.

sasquatch
01-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I have two neighbours, man and wife, who each year put in a stock of dry firewood, can up a bunch of food, besides filling their root cellar, (these folks are off grid,) then come about November 1st, they put the car away, close up the gate and stay in their cabin untill about april 1st.
During these winter months, they ski, snowshoe, read, sketch, do photography ,both have crafts and projects they work on, they been doin this for a number of years, and tell me it,s some of the best times of their lives.
Peacefull stress free existence, they listen to no news, no Tv or phone,(they unplug it, but would plug it in if an emergency arose,) They,re stocked up, debt free, and can survive for quite some time if need be.

vpt
01-09-2011, 03:21 PM
One time around 1998 or so the water to the house stopped flowing. It was 18F outside at the time. The water pipe enters the house in the corner of my garage at a spot where there are two uninsulated walls and a long ago retired cat door. I suspected this was the source of freezing and held a hair dryer on that section of pipe and less than a minute later the water was running again.

Yes, we have had water pipes freeze up before many times but normally it has be below 0 for a long time for that to happen. Still not like it is a life or death situation.

KiddZimaHater
01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Funny...
Us southerners wonder about you Yankees dropping dead from heat stroke every summer when the mercury hits 90F. :D
But in all honesty, people freak out down here when it snows or ice appears.
Hell, they shut-down the freeways in San Antonio when the overpasses freeze up.
Nobody in city maintenence knows how to salt roads. (What's that?)
We haven't seen snow in San Antonio since 2004.
Currently it's 55 degrees

dp
01-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Snow seems to make people crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5exATIaQiI

vpt
01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Snow seems to make people crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5exATIaQiI

I love the comment: When sliding on ice, make sure to lock up your breaks. You'll stop moving. Or maybe you'll just slide out of control, I can't remember.

sasquatch
01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I live in snow country, and agree the morons that drive in snow conditions are scarey to say the least.
Back roads and back roads folks are great they know how to drive in it,, but just get out onto a hiway, and it,s just plain dangerous.

II,ve said for a long time, getting a drivers license should require taking a skid control course also,, that would help some to reduce some of the accidents.

vpt
01-09-2011, 04:17 PM
II,ve said for a long time, getting a drivers license should require taking a skid control course also,, that would help some to reduce some of the accidents.

I remember this conversation and agreeing that there should be a basic emergency maneuver test and people should be able to get their cars under control in a simple slide. But someone mentioned that many many many people wouldn't pass the tests and wouldn't be able to get to work without a license and stuff like that. However I would feel better knowing the people around me can at least control their car in basic situations.

Edit* what would work great however is when 'applying' for car insurance you would be taken out on a course and tested under certain circumstances and you insurance rate would reflect your overall score of the test.

edit 2* people that failed the test would get red license plates. lol

Krunch
01-09-2011, 04:33 PM
As a Yankee, I used to laugh at the way people acted when snow was predicted in the south, too until I moved here.

We got 12" or 14" of snow here in VA the day after Christmas and many of our roads were getting drifted over faster than the plows could re-clear and many roads were either one-lane or impassable for days.

We don't have the snow-clearing manpower, equipment, budgets or know-how that you northern boys do.

It gets REAL interesting when we get a coastal ice storm that brings down all the wires for days...you'd BETTER have fuel, fresh water and emergency supplies then.

J Tiers
01-09-2011, 05:12 PM
We never had that until 1982... we got 24" of snow (I measured with a yardstick in multiple places,even though it was called a little less).

it was quite a while before things were normal again.

The prediction had been for 2 to 4". Being from up North, I looked at the sky and said "no way", and since I was at the store anyhow, I bought a bit more.

After that if there is more than an inch predicted, the stores are stripped of bread and milk instantly.

.RC.
01-09-2011, 05:12 PM
We have not had any snow here yet...

Paul Alciatore
01-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I've lived North and South: LA, FL, RI DC/VA, IA, and am now in Texas. So I have seen it all.

Bad snow drivers are not all in the South. I saw my share of them in RI, DC, and Iowa. In the South, it isn't just the lack of experience on the part of the drivers. The cities, counties, and states are not prepaired for snow. No salt, little sand, and no trucks to spread then or to plow. So it can get bad and staying home is a good idea if you do not have to go out. I have 4WD and am quite experienced with driving in snow and ice but would hesitate to go out in those conditions a lot more here in south Texas than I would have in Iowa or Rhode Island or DC.

The real fun around here is when a hurricane is comming. Everybody rushes to the stores to buy perishables (milk, bread, etc.) so when the power goes out, they perish. You would think they would buy canned goods, but noooooo! They buy stuff that needs refrigeration. Duhhh!

Guido
01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Yahoooo------Surf's up.

--G

HSS
01-09-2011, 05:45 PM
I hate snow!!!! Count on it, when it snows I end up working on a unit on the roof and usually have to lay down in it to do my job. Did I mention, I hate snow, but I hate ice more.:D

Patrick

Evan
01-09-2011, 06:39 PM
My sentiments exactly. The only good thing about it is the extra shop time. Right now I am going out to plow the driveway, again.

http://ixian.ca/pics8/winter.jpg

Carld
01-09-2011, 07:27 PM
That video was a HOOT. Everyone's EGO got right up and thought, I can make that hill where no one else could, yes sir ree :eek: CRASH, well, maybe not.

A couple of years ago my truck driver friend and I were in Salt Lake City in the winter on a run with 1 ton Ford trk and a 16' trailer. We were creeping along on the interstates through town and everyone was flying around us. from one side of town to the other there was a car or truck in the median or ditch on the side every couple of hundred feet and sometimes a gang of them.

I always thought people that lived in snow country knew how to drive in the snow but now I know better. They can't drive worth a crap in Utah. Oh, and the police were not anywhere in sight. There were a lot of salt trucks with plows clearing the road but it didn't help much.

Carld
01-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Here in Ky by Louisville over Tuesday and Wednesday we may get 2-4" of snow and that will be a very busy day for police, wreckers and ambulances. Then the body shops will rake in the dough$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:D

Evan
01-09-2011, 07:35 PM
The most fun we get every year is when it snows in Vancouver. Vancouver doesn't get snow very often but it usually get a couple of days of winter driving conditions each year. So, nearly everyone tries to get by without buying winter tires. That's the one time I watch TV because they usually run about 5 minutes of video of utterly helpless people with their brakes locked ricocheting from parked car to stuck car to oncoming car, all in slow motion.

beckley23
01-09-2011, 07:51 PM
IIRC, sometime in the '80's UPS selected Louisville for their air freight operations hub. Our winters, by northern standards are relatively mild, but in '94, that wasn't the case. We had a crippling winter storm, the once in century type, several inches of snow, freezing rain, wind chills down to -55. The entire region was paralyzed. Construction equipment was used to clear the highways, along with all available snow plows. The Naval Ordnance Staion got into the act by making plow blades, and so. Public announcements requesting 4 wheel drives vehicles to get medical personnel to the hospitals as well as critical patients, went out. To say that Louisville wasn't prepared, was an understatement. 3 days after the storm, the area started to return to normal, and a week later it was "what storm"?, but for 3 days we were paralyzed.
UPS was annoyed, so much so, that they threatened to pull up roots. Their world wide operations were basically shut down. When the regions' largest employer speaks, the "powers that be" had better listen. The city and state got their acts together after that, and today if there is so much as a hint of snow, the salt trucks and plows are out and ready, and UPS has continued to invest in their local infrastructure.
When I see newscasts of the southern cities hit by snow storms, I always remember what it was like in '94, and the storms we had in '78 & '79.
Harry

SteveF
01-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Water? Its not going to stop flowing out of the tap because of some snow on the ground outside.

Not from the snow but when ice knocks out the power lines and you live in the country on a well, yes, the water does stop. Down here the power lines are uninsulated so as soon as a tree touches the lines, out goes the power.

Didn't get any bread today but did fill up my gas cans for the generator.

Steve

scatter cat
01-09-2011, 08:18 PM
We have about 3" of snow on the ground right now with more coming down.I doubt you could find a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread within a hundred miles around here:rolleyes: The wife stopped by the store Friday and they were already stripping the shelves. The roads are a mess lots of wrecks and people in the ditch.Not looking forward to going to work Monday the roads will be total chaos till it melts.

Willy
01-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Carld

I always thought people that lived in snow country knew how to drive in the snow but now I know better.

You're right Carl, for the most part they are idiots!

I've spent my winters since '92 clearing the highways and side roads of snow in British Columbia and can personally attest to this.

It seems every time that we have a little dry spell between snow storms they forget everything they learned the last time it snowed. Next snowfall and it's mayhem again, all at once it's orientation day again.:D

I've got a lot to deal with in the cab. A front plow, an underbody plow, a snow wing on the side, and about 4 functions to deal with for the sander. If that doesn't keep me busy I've got a 70,000lb truck to deal with while dealing with not only road and weather conditions, but the scary part is dodging the idiots. I don't know how many times I had some idiot run into my wing while passing me on the right.:rolleyes:

Sometimes I have to ask myself..."I know these people are important and have to be somewhere yesterday, but why am I making the roads faster?"

Here's a look at my office.
First one is a Western Star the next is a Kenworth.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/250willy/db219cde.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/250willy/b811ffc3.jpg

spope14
01-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Three inches of snow here is called a "dusting". Six inches means we get out the now blowers. A foot is a two hour delay for the schools, and 24 inches is called a storm.

Now add about 30 MPH winds and 20 to 30 below wind chills, it becomes brutal no matter the ammount.

Our problem is not so much the snow, but the trees that come down on electric lines and frozen pipes from wind chills againt homes.

I lived in Yellowstone, snow daily. Northern Colorado where the streets become paved with ice, and Pueblo CO where 1 inch shuts things down. Yeah, I get the panic.

sasquatch
01-09-2011, 08:35 PM
I get a real chuckle in winter when someone with a front wheel drive car goes to the store and buys some bags of sand etc for weight then they put it in the rear of the car!!!!:o :cool:

Evan
01-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Got the driveway plowed, again. I used to enjoy it years ago. Now it just sucks. I want one of these. I just love this kind of Russian engineering. :D

Those are mig engines. These are SNOW BLOWERS.

http://ixian.ca/pics8/snowblo1.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics8/snowblo2.jpg

I want to know how fast that truck with engine on top can go in reverse. :eek:

Pherdie
01-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I grew up in snow country, learned to drive in snow country and drove truck in snow country while attending college. That being said.....

While at my last station in the military in Abilene, TX, I got to experience the full blunt of mid-America weather. Although it was winter time, it was sunny and warm and I was walking around in shorts and a T-shirt. Along comes this little black cloud out of nowhere. Ten minutes later everyone is bolting for cover, the wind is howling, temperature is in a free fall and a sudden huge gust of wind and drop in barometric pressure attempts to cave in the walls of our home.....

About three hours later, it was below freezing and we had several inches of ice on the ground. For me, it was an incredible experience, but what was even more astounding was the inept manner that people dealt with the circumstance, even though I was assured the area not experiencing a previously unknown, random event. People immediately manned their vehicles and set out upon the ice. It was as though some strange power had called for an impromptu Demolition Derby. The resulting carnage was quite significant. It was hard to fathom how people supposedly used to this type of weather were so incapable of adjusting to it.

The next day I took my new wife to the new local 'skidpan' (an empty Sears parking lot) for winter driving training. She had never driven on snow or ice before. It proved to later be a great investment in time.

lynnl
01-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Drat! I was looking forward to 4 or 5 inches, but so far here in the Huntsville area I haven't seen the first snow flake.

Frankly I think all the hoopla nowadays is just a sign of the times. I grew up here in Nth Alabama, about 85 miles west of here. And back then people didn't really make the big deal of the occasional snowfall like now. As for driving on it, I had a lot of military assignments in cold regions, and I know full well my southern background left me no less prepared for driving on snow and ice than the "locals." It's just a matter of common sense and reasonable precautions. The problem I see around here is people being almost TOO careful.
There's a stretch of road between here and town, oriented E-W with trees on the south side blocking all sunlight on the road. The road is straight and level, but noticeably crowned. Every year I see cars that have slid off the road sideways, because they were creeping along too slowly to maintain enough forward momentum. There's never any damage, no ditch or obstacles to hit, so I just find it amusing.

J Tiers
01-09-2011, 10:23 PM
To be fair to the idiots driving.....

1) half have been thoroughly taught by advertising that because they have 4 wheel drive, they can get anywhere in anything. Their main issue is they believed it.

2) that other half have front wheel drive vehicles with automatic tranny..... No clutch.

So if you let off the gas, as might be reasonable if you find yourself on ice, the front wheels are engine-braked, and the car probably spins if on ice. Virtually nothing the driver can do about it, it is a deliberately designed-to-fail-by-spinning-out car, done that way because it is cheaper.

About all you can do is to keep some power on, but nobody is taught to do that.

In a rear drive clutch car, if you let off the gas, at least you are steered like an arrow, you will go front first most of the time. Then if you cram in the clutch, you freewheel, and have a lot more options.

I think there may be NO new car that still has a gearbox/clutch option....... none of the hybrids do that I know of.

HSS
01-09-2011, 10:32 PM
What's funny to me are the people who think their vehicle speeds up when they are skidding, whether on ice or hydroplaning on water.:D

Evan
01-09-2011, 11:54 PM
2) that other half have front wheel drive vehicles with automatic tranny..... No clutch.

So if you let off the gas, as might be reasonable if you find yourself on ice, the front wheels are engine-braked, and the car probably spins if on ice. Virtually nothing the driver can do about it, it is a deliberately designed-to-fail-by-spinning-out car, done that way because it is cheaper.

Our PT cruiser never handled like that, not even close. It had excellent snow and ice handling with traction control and anti lock brakes that really worked well. The only reason we sold it is because it doesn't have quite enough ground clearance for winter driving.

Evan
01-09-2011, 11:55 PM
What's funny to me are the people who think their vehicle speeds up when they are skidding, whether on ice or hydroplaning on water

I can if you are going downhill on ice.

Willy
01-10-2011, 12:12 AM
What's funny to me are the people who think their vehicle speeds up when they are skidding, whether on ice or hydroplaning on water.:D

It's true.

It's a known scientific fact that has been well established and tested by thousands.

Your rate of speed increases at ratio of 2.57 to 1 when all four wheels are locked.

More like 5 to 1 when your fingers are wrapped tightly enough around the steering wheel to induce "white knuckle".

When the above conditions have all been met and the victim, err, ah, I mean driver, is also going backwards down a steep hill with a very sharp drop off to one side, it is believed that one can momentarily achieve super sonic velocities.;)

doctor demo
01-10-2011, 12:39 AM
I vote for stocking up. Worst thing there is in a snow storm is to discover too late that you're out of beer.
Or that You don't have gloves to keep Your hands warm while drinking that cold beer.

Steve:D

vpt
01-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Loving the stories in here! Someone mentioned that the street can be empty before a snow storm and instantly after the snow it seems every Tom Dick and Hairy is out on the road slidin around. I see that as well every snow storm here. I will be out trying to plow (going up driveways and backng out into the street repeatedly) and it seems after a snow storm every single person in town has to come shopping at the grocery store across the street. You would think they would watch out for the truck with the blinky yellow light plowing the snow too? No, I will be half way into thestreet still backing up and the idiots will try to drive around the back of the truck yet while I am still backing up. Then if that didn't piss me off enough they will blow their horn at me like I am doing something worng! Plowing out by the mail boxes people will drive up behind me and just sit there like a lump. I swear most people don't have any common sense any more.

johnl
01-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Snow here in the South is no laughing matter. Most areas do not have proper euipment or knowledge for clearning the roads of snow. Ice is a bad actor down here also. Many of the older homes on conventional foundations have exposed pipes below that freeze and cut the water supply off. Trees touch the power lines, or limbs fall on lines, and there goes the power. I have gone 3- 4 days without water, and up to 11 days without power down here because of cold weather. Goes without saying that most folks have no idea how to drive on ice or snow. In the south, snow and ice just plain suck.
Johnl

wierdscience
01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Having half my family in NW Ohio and the other half here in Missassippy and driven in ice and snow in both I can say for a fact that nobody up north has any superhuman ice driving ability.I will further add that all the folks down south have enough sense to stay off the roads until clear unlike those living north.I notice the folks in NY handled the snow with flying colors:rolleyes:

That aside,things freeze here too and if there is any chance of an ice storm lines will be down all over.Since many believed the utility co. propaganda about all electric homes,if te power goes out so goes the heat.

Magnum164
01-10-2011, 09:38 AM
So are you guys in the southern state stocking up on water and bread for the big snow storm? :D

YES!

Because after 8.5" of snow last night, it will probably be Saturday before I can get my truck out of my driveway.... It was 2 days a few weeks ago, I suspect at least 3-4 this time based on the temps.

Edit: There is a car at the top of the hill for emergencies.....

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/kd4vcu/DSC_0192.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/kd4vcu/DSC_0195.jpg

lazlo
01-10-2011, 10:39 AM
My daughter is 7 years old and she's never seen snow. MickeyD was telling me it was going to get down to 10 in Austin, but today's high is 53 :D

According to the 5 day weather forecast, this "cold front" will be gone by Thursday (high of 63), so we have 2 more days to break my daughter's 7 year run :)