PDA

View Full Version : OT: cold weather extension cord

12teethperinch
01-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew what type of cord would remain flexible and limber in cold weather. I have an electric snowblower and ran over the cord and need to get a new one I used to have an unknown brand/type on it that was great in the cold but too short I replaced it with a supposed cold weather one but it was like pulling around a stiff piece of wire. What should I be looking for PVC? natural rubber?
Darrell

vpt
01-09-2011, 03:59 PM
I don't know about brands but I have a yellow cord with a led light in the plug that stays nice and flexable all the time even below 0. Got it from menards. never had good luck with the orange ones.

sasquatch
01-09-2011, 04:04 PM
You need a cord that is rated for cold conditions, they,re a bit expensive compared to those other cheapies, but well worth the purchase.
The cord should be marked as such.

projectnut
01-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I have a couple that I've used for christmas lights, the block heater on the truck, and the snow blower over 20 years. They remain flexible at least down to -30F (the coldest I've seen it here).

They're Woods brand with 12 ga wire and blue in color. They come in both 25' and 50' lengths. I believe they have a TPE rubber outer coating. I'm sure I got them at either Home Dept or Menards. I still see the Woods brand in the stores but I'n not sure of the construction of the newer ones.

EddyCurr
01-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Go to an electrical whoesaler and purchase a suitable length and gauge
of Type SOW or SOOW cable, along with a Hubbell (or equivalent) plug
and receptacle for the ends.

Outdoor extension cords sold commercially at big box hardware stores fail
to perform as advertised with regard to cold weather suitability.

Evan
01-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Natural rubber, usually black. They stay flexible even at minus 40 which is what we are forecast to have. They are expensive.

Ohio Mike
01-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't know about brands but I have a yellow cord with a led light in the plug that stays nice and flexable all the time even below 0. Got it from menards. never had good luck with the orange ones.

Probably "Yellow Jacket" brand by Coleman Cable. I picked up a few of these during a power outage a few years ago. They're the best extension cord I've ever used. Picked up a couple after they were restocked in the store (Lowes) but sadly they don't sell them any more. They are still available, Amazon being one source.

vpt
01-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Probably "Yellow Jacket" brand by Coleman Cable. I picked up a few of these during a power outage a few years ago. They're the best extension cord I've ever used. Picked up a couple after they were restocked in the store (Lowes) but sadly they don't sell them any more. They are still available, Amazon being one source.

I agree, I only got one but that is the best cord I have ever used. It is the only cord I use now unless I have to use another. I have to see if I can get a few more.

Doozer
01-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I hate to admit this, but there are some nice cold rubber flexible cords at Harbor Freight. I got one, neon green in color, but different lengths are different colors, anyhow, they were some kind of vinyl, but a really rubbery vinyl plastic. I use the one I bought for the electric starter on my snow blower, and it is always really flexible. --Doozer

Gravy
01-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Another vote for rubber. PVC gets stiff when cold. If it's black and feels like tire rubber, it's probably OK.

lakeside53
01-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Go to an electrical whoesaler and purchase a suitable length and gauge
of Type SOW or SOOW cable, along with a Hubbell (or equivalent) plug
and receptacle for the ends.

Outdoor extension cords sold commercially at big box hardware stores fail
to perform as advertised with regard to cold weather suitability.

What Eddy said... make your own. I typically use SJOW, but had a reel of SEOW that was excellent. Plugs that come on pre-made cords leave a lot to be desired.

Around here you can buy it at Home Depot and other big box stores.

darryl
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I've bought a few block heater type extension cords that do seem to be more flexible than the normal pvc. Other than that, I agree with Evan and others- use the rubber stuff. Sometimes called cab tire.