PDA

View Full Version : G4015, inquiring minds want to know

Gently
01-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Howdy! once again I am amazed at the information on this site!
Flattery will get you.....something! :rolleyes:
Now, that aside, I have a G4015 older design, It has been VERY lightly used and seems very tight and has very little backlash on the wheelie thingies that make it move. I know a Lathe Mill combo is not an accuracte system, but the Lathe part seems to work VERY well.

So I was thinking, :eek: since the Lathe works well is it possible to take the "Mill" part (that is the drill head) and remove it, make a new heavy stand and turn it into a dedicated Mill? I know that I would need to get another motor but since the gears, belts and quill are already there could it be done "cheaper" than buying a complete mill for say 1200.00 and could it be as accurate as a purchased mill of that amount?

I intend to one day have both a dedicated Mill and a Lathe So I was wondering if any of YOU have ever heard of such a thing?

RB211
01-17-2011, 02:46 PM
The money you would spend to convert the head to a dedicated mill, might as well just buy a dedicated mill. Used Bridgeport, or a new X3.

Alistair Hosie
01-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Of course It is most likely it will be an easy job to do.Whether it will ever be as good as the real thing I don't know.I predfer them seperate like yourself . Alistair

danlb
01-17-2011, 03:25 PM
+1

The G4015 uses the lathe's bed as the X-Y table, and they can be expensive.

Grizzly sells an X-Y table ( http://www.grizzly.com/products/X-Y-Cross-Table/H7659 ) for around $400 delivered. It has a limited travel ( 4 in by 8 in ) but that might be as good as you already have.

Making the column will not be trivial. It won't take much to get to the point where the G1005Z mill-drill will be a better deal at $900.

Dan