X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dejongs
    • Jan 2011

Need a small belt for my Edelstaal

I need the small belt for the milling head of my Edelstaal.
    I looks like it is an 1/8" wide on the top.

I couldn't get a good picture of the bottom, the best I could measure it was 1/16" wide.

About 3/32" thick. About 8.5" long stretched out on the ruler.

What are my options?

Thanks,
    Steven
  • Don Young
    • Jun 2004

One option might be a round belt such as used on vacuum cleaners. Also, some industrial supply houses carry them as belts or as O-rings. There are also some generic miniature V-belts, you might try 'Stock Drive Products' or 'Berg'.
    Don Young

Comment

• Evan
      • May 2003

Try an O-ring. That is what I use on my 1/2 hp milling machine. I finally had to change it after a year of frequent use. I also use O-rings to drive my high speed spindles as fast as 40,000 rpm. You can buy O-rings up to 1/4" by 9" diam at any good industrial equipment supplier or heavy equipment dealer. The ring needs to be under quite a bit of stretch when installed to provide good drive. It is a lot smoother than a multi ply belt.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• lane
        • Aug 2005

Gates makes a bunch of little belts like that . Use them on my tool and cutter grinder. All different lengths. Only a few dollars each.
        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• bruto
          • Mar 2008

There are some sewing machines with little V- belts like this as well. You might check a sew and vac place to see if they can match the length.

Comment

• darryl
            • Jan 2003

I used an O-ring on my Unimat for many years. I got real creative at one point and used an angle grinder on the side of the ring while having the motor run. Put a reasonable flat on the O-ring- then reverse it and grind the other side. That 'belt' is still on there after two decades and more.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• t geist
              • Jul 2007

Go to this site:Tom Jennette - President
              Call Toll Free:
              PH: (800) 640-8807
              FAX: (508) 753-6844
              EMAIL: [email protected]
              I have found they have any belt there is to have. Hope this helps

Comment

• dejongs
                • Jan 2011

Thanks for all the replies.
                I will visit the local hardware stores and maybe the vacuum cleaners store to see if I can find the O rings/belt.
                If not I will look to some of the vendors that were recommended.

Steven

Comment

• topct
                  • Jan 2004

Gene

Comment

• ammcoman2
                    • Dec 2004

The Taig lathe and Mill use a 3M V-belt that looks to be similar. It is 3mm wide at the top so, close to the 1/8". I have bought replacements made by Gates from a belting supplier here in TO.

Geoff

Comment

• dejongs
                      • Jan 2011

Thanks for the link.
                      Need to buy 5 at a time.

Comment

• Evan
                        • May 2003

I totally forgot that there is another very easy solution to the problem. It is simple to split a poly-V belt over a razor blade held in a vice to produce belts that size. This is a two rib belt I split from an ordinary automotive serpentine belt. It could be split again to produce the size you need. Buy a five rib belt and you get five belts if you don't screw up any. I wouldn't bet on that from experience but you will get at least a couple of good ones. You need some heavy duty single edge razor blades from the paint department of any hardware store. Clamp it in a vice and start the cut between the ribs and then just pull it along as straight as you can. It only takes a few minutes. Do it so the ribs are face up so you can see what you are doing.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                        X