X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdred68
    • Sep 2005

Grizzly bandsaw

I own a horizontal metal cutting bandsaw. The motor is dual voltage. If i change the motor to 220 volt will this improve the saws performance?
  • cuemaker
    • Nov 2004

I guess that would depend what improvement your looking for

Comment

I'd look at making sure you have some good blades. Those can make a big difference.

I wouldn't worry about the motor.

Comment

• Toolguy
        • Jan 2010

Bandsaw

If you're running on 110 now, it would just cost a few cents less to run the motor. Probably no noticeable difference in performance unless it's getting bogged down now in the cut. Good blades make the most difference of all.
        Kansas City area

Comment

• lynnl
          • Jan 2002

I've changed dual voltage motors to 220v several times, and the only instance where I noticed a difference was with a Sears radial arm saw.
          On 110v it would occasionally (but rarely) trip the breaker during a heavily loaded cut. Switching to 220 seemed to solved that problem.

Other than that I couldn't tell that it ever made any difference. Maybe it did, but it wasn't noticeable.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• kennyd4110
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Toolguy
            If you're running on 110 now, it would just cost a few cents less to run the motor.
            The cost is the same either way You don't pay for amp's used-you pay for Watt's.

The short answer to the OP's question is "NO".

Comment

• radkins
              • Sep 2008

The only advantage will be that you could get by using smaller wire, if the wiring/breaker you are using now is up to the task you would see no benefit from changing the voltage. Changing from 110 to 220 will not increase the power of the motor if that is what you are asking.

Comment

Working...
              X