PDA

View Full Version : The Replicator Inches Ever Closer

Tuckerfan
01-22-2011, 01:34 AM
3D printing with titanium. (http://www.core77.com/blog/technology/imaterialise_get_your_rp_on_in_titanium_18330.asp)
Titanium is by far the hardest and strongest 3D printing material. It is also extremely accurate and biocompatible. We are very curious to see which of the host of possible applications that are open to designers will be used by them We think that titanium 3D printing is a powerful production technology that really adds to a designer's arsenal.
http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/0imattitanium.jpg

darryl
01-22-2011, 02:02 AM
'compyuta- cup of tea, earl grey, hot- in a titanium cup please'- Zing! 'there you are captain- I've put a boronitrisil foam coating on the handle so you don't burn yourself'. 'thank you comyputa'.

motorworks
01-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Every home will have one in the near future...all people will have to do is buy material....
Johnny needs a new bike....picks out the one he wants...pays a fee to the designer and downloads the plans....pop..a new bike from the "printer"
No need for shipping fee, no waiting, (unless they are out of material), etc.
LoL...? possible....who knows!!
e2die

gda
01-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Every home will have one in the near future...all people will have to do is buy material....
Johnny needs a new bike....picks out the one he wants...pays a fee to the designer and downloads the plans....pop..a new bike from the "printer"
No need for shipping fee, no waiting, (unless they are out of material), etc.
LoL...? possible....who knows!!
e2die

It is on it's way - we already have downloadable media - books, music, movies.

Liger Zero
01-22-2011, 09:47 AM
It is on it's way - we already have downloadable media - books, music, movies.

This will be the next "Big Thing"

Radio

TV

Video-Game
Personal Computer

Networking
Social Media

Home manufacturing.

KiloBravo
01-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Raises some interesting questions ...

How would you control the printing of weapons and guns ???

Will it be similar to our fabulous DVD encryption software or will it send and email to the ATF letting them know you just printed a gun ?

dalee100
01-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure if it will really be much different than it is now for firearms. They are incredibly easy to make with common everyday items even now.

I do suppose if you wanted to download and "print" that new Poli SxS 20ga. shotgun, it would be a fairly simple matter make you fill out what ever forms are needed and to wait for a background check before downloading. Digital signature required for proper verification of course.

dalee

KiloBravo
01-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Well not quite the same. Lots of people don't pay for music or software any more. Once it's digital anyone anywhere can get a copy legal or not.

lazlo
01-22-2011, 11:33 AM
"Titanium is by far the hardest and strongest 3D printing material. It is also extremely accurate and biocompatible."

They're being more than a little creative with marketing. As our own George Bulliss mentioned here two years ago, EOS been able to print sintered titanium alloys and high-speed steel for awhile now, so you can "print" specialty cutting tools.

I posted a video 2 years ago of EOS 3D Printing a turbine fan.

The turbine blade is at 5:56. Surface finish is pretty lousy -- all the shiny, pretty parts have a subtitle that says that the parts were electropolished :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/C9awF5te_2w&hl=en&fs=1

Edit: looks like that company Tucker posted is serving as a broker for EOS 3D Printing services :)

Pricing

A Standard part 2 by 2 by 4cm with a volume of 1 cubic centimeter would be 93 Euros ($124).

A part with the same bounding box and 4 cubic centimeters of volume is 144 Euro ($192).

Rustybolt
01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I mentioned this very thing here about 4 years ago. The pioneering work was being done at MIT at the time.
The last I heard MIT was experimentung with 3D printing vitreous metals.
On one of the DIY sites there is a homemade 3D printer using epoxy as a medium.

Tuckerfan
01-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Raises some interesting questions ...

Will it be similar to our fabulous DVD encryption software or will it send and email to the ATF letting them know you just printed a gun ?
And how do you know that classic Mustang for sale is legit, or one that someone just printed out?

I mentioned this very thing here about 4 years ago. The pioneering work was being done at MIT at the time.
The last I heard MIT was experimentung with 3D printing vitreous metals.
On one of the DIY sites there is a homemade 3D printer using epoxy as a medium.
Makerbot uses ABS plastic and sells for less than $1300 in kit form: http://www.makerbot.com/

Cornell University is working a food replicator: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12069495

lazlo
01-22-2011, 12:01 PM

If you watch the video I posted, Direct Metal Laser Sintering (the process described in Tucker's link) is much more complicated than that: it slowly builds up a 3D construct of soft, fragile powdered metal, which must then be fired in a heat treat oven to sinter it. The resulting object is porous, so it doesn't have universal application.

We're at least a decade away from being able to sinter a handgun.

Besides, guys are milling handgun parts on their hobby mills right now, so how would an additive process be more malevolent than a subtractive process?

lakeside53
01-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Hey, maybe we can print a new gf?:D

lazlo
01-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Hey, maybe we can print a new gf?:D

Weird Science! I want a copy of Kelly LeBrock. The 1985 Kelly, not what she looks like now :)

danlb
01-22-2011, 12:36 PM
We're at least a decade away from being able to sinter a handgun.

Besides, guys are milling handgun parts on their hobby mills right now, so how would an additive process be more malevolent than a subtractive process?

I liken it to the very few real hackers out there, and the very large number of "script kiddies" that hack using tools created by others who are more skilled.

In this instance there are only a handful of hobbyists (thousands???) that have the motivation and skills and tools to make their own reliable and accurate rapid fire guns. The advent of a 3d printer will bring the capability within the realm of anyone who can program a VCR and assemble a gun from parts.

That's were it gets sticky. You don't need to replicate the gun, just the parts that are not widely available such as auto-fire sears.

Personally, I do not see 3D printing as a bad thing. A bit over hyped, but not bad.

Dan

loose nut
01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Which one of you guys wants to be the first one to fire a high powered bullet in a sintered metal barrel, not me.

Weston Bye
01-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Nice for making chachkis, knick-knacks, and do-dads. When it graduates to lathes, mills, engine blocks.....

Arcane
01-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Weird Science! I want a copy of Kelly LeBrock. The 1985 Kelly, not what she looks like now :)

I had a looksee...no wonder you want the early edition!

http://blogs.941kqk.com/files/2009/11/F9B16_Kelly_LeBrock_got_ugly.jpg

loose nut
01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Just put a bag over her head and one over yours. It's all the same in the dark.;) ;)

dalee100
01-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Which one of you guys wants to be the first one to fire a high powered bullet in a sintered metal barrel, not me.

Hi,

Actually, I believe a Scandinavian metal company has demonstrated a sintered powdered metal Damascus rifle receiver. The name escapes me, Damasteel? And of course there is Crucible's powdered metals like CPM-M4 and CPM-D2 that could also serve possibly. They are noted for being incredibly tough at high hardness due the extra fine grain structure of the steel.

While the technology of printing a machine gun at home isn't up to snuff today, it will be one day. And viable economics may make that day even farther off. Anyway, I'm not so sure I'd want to ride a bicycle with a sintered frame from a printer just yet either.

dalee

RB211
01-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I liken it to the very few real hackers out there, and the very large number of "script kiddies" that hack using tools created by others who are more skilled.

In this instance there are only a handful of hobbyists (thousands???) that have the motivation and skills and tools to make their own reliable and accurate rapid fire guns. The advent of a 3d printer will bring the capability within the realm of anyone who can program a VCR and assemble a gun from parts.

That's were it gets sticky. You don't need to replicate the gun, just the parts that are not widely available such as auto-fire sears.

Personally, I do not see 3D printing as a bad thing. A bit over hyped, but not bad.

Dan
Oh stop worrying about guns, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Who cares if everyone has a machine gun? The world would be a safer place.

lakeside53
01-22-2011, 07:23 PM

yes! and when they start acting up, just print another orginal and toss the old.:D

John Stevenson
01-22-2011, 07:33 PM
yes! and when they start acting up, just print another orginal and toss the old.:D

These machines only use G Code, so what's wrong with editing the code and making one with a smaller mouth ? or better still no vocal cords ?

lakeside53
01-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Hmmm..... and some selective enhancements. With careful layout, they might even clean up the shop daily.

Note to self - hide printer key from wife:cool:

lazlo
01-22-2011, 08:00 PM
And of course there is Crucible's powdered metals like CPM-M4 and CPM-D2 that could also serve possibly. They are noted for being incredibly tough at high hardness due the extra fine grain structure of the steel.

Powdered metallurgy and laser sistering are totally different animals. Powdered metal tool steel is cryogenically powdered to produce a tiny grain size, and then the powder is hot-forged into a homogeneous billet. Powdered tool steel is stronger and more wear resistant than conventional metallurgy tool steel of the same type: D2 versus CPM D2, M2 versus CPM M2, etc.

The laser sintering in 3D printers activates epoxy resin in special powders made specifically for that process. The printed objects are exceptionally fragile until they're fired in a heat treat oven. After heat treat, you have a strong, but porous, metal matrix.

Evan posted a web site of an artist who takes the sintered metal objects and then dips them in molten bronze. The bronze fills the pores in the metal, and you end up with a beautiful gold/silver damascus-like pattern.

Tuckerfan
01-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh stop worrying about guns, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Who cares if everyone has a machine gun? The world would be a safer place.
And when someone adapts auxions to start mining uranium for the nuclear weapon they want to build. . . (http://discovermagazine.com/1995/oct/robotbuildthysel569)

PeteF
01-22-2011, 10:33 PM
I had a looksee...no wonder you want the early edition

WHOA! She copped a serious bashing with the ugly stick some time between when those 2 shots were taken!!!

Weston Bye
01-23-2011, 05:50 AM
No defense of whats-her-name, but I bet most of you guys have porked up over the years too, or will in the future.

I did.

Arcane
01-23-2011, 06:11 AM
"I'm not fat...I'm fluffy."

John Stevenson
01-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Gert reckons I'm out of shape.

I told her, "Rubbish, round IS a shape " :rolleyes:

Rustybolt
01-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Hence the vitreous metal.
Supposedly they will be able to custom design a metal for any application and then make the objevt with a 3D prototyping machine with no secondary operations.
They are already making replaement hips out of vitrous metal which are lighter and stronger than titanium.

vpt
01-23-2011, 10:06 AM
The connecting rods in my 7.3 diesel are powdered rods.