PDA

View Full Version : Neil - tips from this forum?

MikeHenry
12-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Neil,

Have you considered publishing some of the tips from this forum in HSM or MW?

Forrest Addy just wrote a great candidate on scraping.

Mike

Neil
12-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Forrest did an absolutely incredible job describing scraping. His e-article is certainly deserving of being permanently retained. I'll have to inquire as to what's involved. Thanks for the heads-up!

FLPR@juno.com
12-24-2003, 01:01 AM
If you want a permanent copy of Forrest's words of wisdomjust:
1 Open the thread.
2. Select all of the text in his comments.
3. Use your print command.

It should turn out to be about 3 1/2 pages of printout.

Evan
12-24-2003, 02:57 AM
Yeah, but we want some pictures of his highness in action. Show us the way! I think I will take this up as an indoor sport and after a few years of practice I may attempt to rescrape the ways on my SB9. I would sure like to be able to buy even a cheap import granite flat for the price you mentioned Forrest. It costs twice as much here from KBC and I have few alternatives. The price of Starrett plates is ridiculous (several hundreds of $$$).

BC21OSH
12-24-2003, 11:09 AM
If you want to save Forrest's document, just copy and paste it to a Word document and save it to your system.

Evan,

With all of the manufacturing closing these days I wouldn't think it would be difficult to find a decent surface plate or flat from a used machinery dealer at a reasonable price. Shipping might be the only issue considering your location.

Bernard

Bob Quale
12-24-2003, 02:05 PM
I can't seem to find the e-article on scraping, can anyone help me?

Bob

jr45acp
12-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Bob, try this

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/004751.html

------------------
John B

Evan
12-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Bernard,

I am about as far removed from the manufacturing heartland of Canada and the US as you can get. We do have several machine shops here but they haven't been closing as they support the sawmill industry and in Williams Lake so far none of the mills have closed. Different story on the coast but that is 550km from here at the least. The best price I could find on a teeny 9"x12" import granite plate is $50CD, about $35US.

Thrud
12-25-2003, 05:24 AM
Evan
www.leevalley.com (http://www.leevalley.com) has a servicable black granite plate for about $36CDN If you come out this way once in a while you can buy them at Thomas Skinner reasonably cheap (Starrett Pink).

Evan
12-25-2003, 07:56 AM
I can't find it.

Thrud
12-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Evan:
SKu # 88N85.01 39.95(CDN) pg40 in the catalog these are not as good as the ones they first brought in which were grade b plates but tey are good to .ooo1" overall if yoiu want better than I suggest you buy the Starrett toolmakers flat. With the case it is about $400 with out the case it is oly $150. The starret is a grade B or better

Evan
12-25-2003, 02:17 PM
I think I will go with a Starrett but will have to save some pennys for a while. I hate wondering if my mistakes are due to someone else and not just my own incompetence.

Thrud
12-26-2003, 05:14 AM
You can't go wrong with a Starrett. The old Master Pinks float to the surface now and then on eBay (grade A) - you cannot get master pink anymore as they ran out of this high quartz content granite and only sell it now for master reference squares and angles for plate work (big $$$$).

I have a Custom made Mitutoyo 36"x24"x6" im Machine Grey Granite they only use this stuff for their high end plates, I got this one when I told the rep that it looked like crap and they should use a blemish free one for demos (had some chips out of the corner - no big deal to me) the district manager agreed with me and I made a ridiculous offer and they took it. I used JBweld to fill the divots and it is perfectly servicable. Got the HD stand too!

Evan
12-26-2003, 05:21 AM
They still sell the pink plates. $$$$

Thrud
12-27-2003, 03:08 AM
Evan:
They still sell the pink plates. Yes, they are about $150 (cdn)here in Edmonton.