PDA

View Full Version : Ball Bearings

joe826barnett
01-24-2011, 06:36 PM
I want to make sure that I don't put too much or too little grease on a ball bearing. What is the proper way to grease a ball bearing? The more answers the better!! Thanks!!!

squirrel
01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
can you post a pic of the bearing, different styles require different techniques

macona
01-24-2011, 07:09 PM
For a typical ball bearing about 30% fill. Get a syringe and inject between the balls.

MotorradMike
01-24-2011, 08:16 PM
You said "the more replies the better" so...

I've heard, ball bearings don't like grease. If you peel back the seal on a new one you can see there is very little in there.

My theory is this:
Too much makes the balls lose contact with the ring, kind of like a shopping cart wheel in slush, then they stop rolling intermittently and wear faster than if they had less grease.

Please take this as poorly informed input, but something to think about.

mochinist
01-24-2011, 08:27 PM
bearing thread:D

darryl
01-24-2011, 09:51 PM
The way I read it, probably on this forum, is like Macona says, about 30% fill. Oil is what the lube is- grease is a medium which holds oil in place. In a bearing, grease is pushed just clear of the rotating parts, so oil can be right there. If the bearing has to push the grease around all the time, there's too much in there. For applications where being full of grease helps keep water out, and the rpms are low and duty very intermittent, it would be fine to fill the cavity. But anytime there's significant rpms (like say 500 rpm or higher), you only want a partial fill.