Ebay Return policy is absolutely WORTHLESS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay Return policy is absolutely WORTHLESS.

I sold a Used item on Ebay. Auction said, I did not know if it works and I had no way to test it. It was sold as is. I clicked the ebay option (No Returns Excepted). I took good photos uploaded them to photobucket and pasted the photos to the ebay page so the buyer would have several very large photos to look at the tiny photos on ebay don't not allow the buyer to get a good look at the item they are buying. Auction also said I know absolutely nothing about this item all I can do is describe what I see take a look at the photos and ask questions before you bid. No warranty no returns. If you buy it then it is yours to keep no refund.

OK, the item sold for $412 and $40 postage. Buyer received it then complained that it works but it does not work properly and does not want to spend money fixing it so he wants a full refund. I told him NO refunds read the auction. He filed a complaint with paypal and got a full refund.

Ebay (No Return Policy) is worthless. Any buyer can complain for any reason and get a full refund.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM.
  • lazlo
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by gary350
    Auction also said I know absolutely nothing about this item all I can do is describe what I see take a look at the photos and ask questions before you bid.
    No warranty no returns. If you buy it then it is yours to keep no refund.
    As I explained to you the last time you posted this rant Gary, that's illegal according to the Uniform Commercial Code.

You can't flip junk on Ebay and then claim "no returns"!
    Ebay operated exactly according to the Uniform Commerical Code.

If you don't want to get burned, don't sell junk! If you "don't know the condition" (which is a total cop-out on trying to get rid of crap you know is crap), then offer a 30 day try-out period, which most of the 100% feedback sellers do.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• danlb
      • Nov 2008

Not speaking for ebay in any way, but I read the post and had the thought that you might be more successful when you sell things like that if you list them as "for spare parts". That should set expectations appropriately. Of course, it will probably sell for less since you won't have people bidding on the hope of getting a steal on a working item.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• GKman
        • Apr 2006

Did the refund cost you or did Paypal take the loss.
        Post the listing, I'd like to see it.

Comment

• Milacron of PM
          • Apr 2001

As an occasional eBay seller this post caught my eye...but it's ironic that what happened is pretty much the opposite of what I expected. I was expecting you to say you bought something that was defective and eBay would not refund the money ! LOL...

Regardless, I would be most curious to see your actual eBay listing in order to have an informed opinion on this.... so spill it... link please...

Comment

• Arthur.Marks
            • Mar 2010

Used:
            An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

For Parts or Not Working:
            An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details.

Being clear and accurate about your item’s condition lets the buyer know whether they’re getting something new, used, or something in between. On the listing form, you can choose from one of several preset item condition options, which vary depending on the category you list your item in.

Originally posted by gary350
            I sold a Used item on Ebay... Buyer received it then complained that it works but it does not work properly and does not want to spend money fixing it so he wants a full refund.
            Herein lies your problem, seems to me.
            Last edited by Arthur.Marks; 01-26-2011, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• RKW
              • Jun 2007

It is a new scam of sorts. Certain buyers plan this from the beginning. It has been happening more and more frequently.
              "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

• jkilroy
                • Oct 2001

This isn't a new scam at all, its been going on for quite a while. My brother got defrauded of $1200 years ago on ebay via this method. All I can suggest is NEVER LEAVE MONEY IN YOUR PAY PAL ACCOUNT and NEVER ASSOCIATE A CREDIT CARD OR BANK ACCOUNT WITH IT.
                James Kilroy

Comment

• jkilroy
                  • Oct 2001

This isn't a new scam at all, its been going on for quite a while. My brother got defrauded of $1200 years ago on ebay via this method after selling a stereo in mint condition. All I can suggest is NEVER LEAVE MONEY IN YOUR PAY PAL ACCOUNT and NEVER ASSOCIATE A CREDIT CARD OR BANK ACCOUNT WITH IT.
                  James Kilroy

Comment

• lazlo
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by jkilroy
                    All I can suggest is NEVER LEAVE MONEY IN YOUR PAY PAL ACCOUNT and NEVER ASSOCIATE A CREDIT CARD OR BANK ACCOUNT WITH IT.
                    You can't operate a seller's account without a bank account associated with it for exactly this reason: Ebay will extract the funds from you if you try to rip off a buyer.

That's why new sellers now have a "hold funds" placed on proceeds to their Paypal account for the first couple of months -- so you can't sell a bunch of junk and run off with the cash.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• wierdscience
                      • Jan 2003

Report him on the Bad Buyers Reporting hub-

Or,since you have his physical address sue him in his locale in small claims court.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Arthur.Marks
                        • Mar 2010

Furthermore:
                        If we resolve "item not as described" cases in the buyer's favor, we will in most circumstances ask the buyer to return the item to the seller before we refund the buyer and try to recover the refund amount from the seller. In those cases, we'll ask the buyer to promptly provide a shipping tracking number to us; for items valued over $250, we'll also require the buyer to provide signature confirmation. Return shipping will be at the buyer's expense. Once we have confirmed that the item was returned to the seller, we will refund the full cost of the item (including any applicable sales tax) and original shipping to the buyer.

Okay. So you get the item back on his dime. If you don't, the amount deducted from you will be reinstated. If you do, you could always file an appeal based on the "technicality" issue of listing it "Used" vs. "Parts / Not Working" based on the clear description and full admission in your listing:
                        Buyers and sellers have one opportunity within 45 days from the day the case is closed to appeal the decision by providing the appropriate documentation via the eBay resolution center. If the buyer successfully appeals, the buyer will be refunded and the seller will not be required to reimburse eBay. If the seller successfully appeals, the seller will be refunded the reimbursement amount to the reimbursement payment method on file with eBay.

You didn't expect this was going to be easy and painless, did you?! It's legalese. You've got to play by their rules. http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...n.html#sellers
                        Last edited by Arthur.Marks; 01-26-2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• lazlo
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by wierdscience
                          Report him on the Bad Buyers Reporting hub-

Or,since you have his physical address sue him in his locale in small claims court.
                          Ebay won't do anything if you try to flag him. The buyer did exactly what he was supposed to do. So did Ebay.

I find it odd that people sell stuff that they know is broken on Ebay. Would you sell that item to a member here or on PracticalMachinist? Of course not.
                          So why try to sell it to someone on Ebay??

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks
                          Indeed!

First rule of Ebay: don't sell junk.
                          Last edited by lazlo; 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• vpt
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by lazlo
                            Ebay won't do anything if you try to flag him. The buyer did exactly what he was supposed to do. So did Ebay.

I find it odd that people sell stuff that they know is broken on Ebay. Would you sell that item to a member here or on PracticalMachinist? Of course not.
                            So why try to sell it to someone on Ebay??

Indeed!

First rule of Ebay: don't sell junk.

Some of us look for junk on ebay because it is normally cheaper and I may need just some parts from it. It should be fine to sell junk as long as it is listed that it isn't in working condition or listed as strait up junk. If you can't read that shouldn't be the sellers problem.
                            Andy

Comment

• lazlo
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by vpt
                              Some of us look for junk on ebay because it is normally cheaper and I may need just some parts from it. It should be fine to sell junk as long as it is listed that it isn't in working condition or listed as strait up junk. If you can't read that shouldn't be the sellers problem.
                              Very true. But like Dan said, you need list the item as "not working -- for parts." And you won't have any problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X