X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sierevello
    • Sep 2010

Welding Tank Refill/ Indianapolis

I recently moved to Indianapolis and have several welding gas cylinders that I own and need to get refilled. Anyone know of a decent company in the Indy area to deal with? AM welding came out and talked to me and now the guy will not even return my call or email? I guess they don't need the business that bad?

Thanks,

Steve
  • Black_Moons
    • Aug 2009

Came out and talked to you? I hope your a large business because id feel like my time was wasted if I drove out to meet someone for a gas contract only to find they only have 2 bottles they might use up every 4 months.

If I have misunderstood sorry, but usally small use customers forgo the onsite support and just go to the business in question in person, since a sales rep costs more per hour to drive and visit you then they will make off you in sales.

PS: You could try asking the local auto parts shops, Body shops, etc, where they get thier gas.. in person idealy.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• Gary Gill
      • Jan 2006

Call Air Gas in Beechgrove. Air Gas may have more than one location in Indy.
      Gary

Comment

• lazlo
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Gary Gill
        Call Air Gas in Beechgrove. Air Gas may have more than one location in Indy.
        I don't have anything against Air Gas per se, but in Austin, fills at Air Gas are ~ 25% more expensive than at the independently owned welding supply stores like Alamo Welding and Round Round Welding Supply.

That's also true for the supplies they sell.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• pcarpenter
          • Jun 2005

Yeah...same here with airgas etc being *way* high for the average walk-in customer. When I was shopping for tanks/gas the last couple of times (Argon for TIG and O2 and Acetylene for torch), I ended up back at the regional supplier I had used years ago when I bought my MIG setup.

Airgas was so bad that tanks of half the volume were "rental only" and those tanks were the largest they would rent me. SJ Smith (the regional place) *sold* me tanks for about what 2 years rent from Airgas was. Refills are cheaper too. Actually, Smith gives you title to *a* tank. You exchange tanks for a refill so you never have the same one twice. Refill costs were very reasonable and once every 10 years when you bring it in for a fill, they ding you for a small fee for hydrotesting. In essence, you always have one of their good hydrotested bottles, but you still have to pay your share of the mandatory 10year required hydrotest.

It looks like SJ smith is mostly Iowa and Illinois from their map, with one location clear up at Hammond, IN. I also see really good ebay prices from Indiana Oxygen, although I get the impression that they don't offer the same pricing for walk-ins. I found the (by far) lowest price on my Victor torch set from them.

I hope you can find a place as good there locally too. My Dad lives up at Anderson and I don't think he's had to have his bottles filled since he moved over there from IL.

Paul
          Paul Carpenter
          Mapleton, IL

Comment

• BigMike782
            • Dec 2008

http://www.praxair.com/na/us/praxair...try=USA&State= Indiana&StoreType=1

Welcome to the premier industrial source for Welding Gas in Indiana. <!--CITIES--> These companies offer a comprehensive range of Welding Gas, as well as a variety of related products and services. ThomasNet.com provides numerous search tools, including location, certification and keyword filters, to help you refine your results. Click on company profile for additional company and contact information.

Gotta be somebody here that can help you

Comment

• Tyro 001
              • Feb 2007

Try:
              1400 Polco Street, Indianapolis - (317) 481-4550. They've been decent to me.

Don't be surprised if they make life difficult if you bring in your own tanks. Most places either won't fill them; or they will fill the ones you brought in and you will have to wait or go back the next day to pick them up.

The last time I had my gauges serviced, the repair shop said there had been a huge reduction in the number of places selling welding equiptment, gases in particular. That, along with the guvmint regulations seems to have dried up the places we can get welding gases, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X