PDA

View Full Version : McMaster-Carr catalog offer

Weston Bye
01-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I got a new McMaster catalog, #117 at work, so I brought the old one (#110) home. The one I had at home (#108) is now looking for a new home for the cost of postage. This thing weighs about 8 lbs. Probably $10-12, no more for USPS.

PM me.

JCHannum
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
I will offer my old No. 111 as available to anyone interested. It ships Media rate for $5.11.

Your Old Dog
01-29-2011, 06:41 PM
You guys know that these things were being sold on ebay for some pretty good money as I recall...yes, even the old ones.

sasquatch
01-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Last weekend i bought catalog #85 for $5.00 at an auction sale.(No one else bid on it.)

Mcmaster-Carr catalogs are very scarce it seems in Canada, a friend of mine has catalog #41, very interesting reading,, mine is 2078 pages.
Great bedside readers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sasquatch
01-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Question i forgot to ask:

What does Mcmaster-Carr charge for a current catalog???

In my buddies #41 catalog, in the saftey boot category There are work boots listed with "WOODEN" soles.
Can anyone tell me what job would require these?? Thanks.

Guido
01-29-2011, 08:41 PM
US Navy requires rubber soles, NO nails for anyone handling/loading ordnance, explosives. Wooden soles? ----------I dunno

--G

mochinist
01-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Question i forgot to ask:

What does Mcmaster-Carr charge for a current catalog???

In my buddies #41 catalog, in the saftey boot category There are work boots listed with "WOODEN" soles.
Can anyone tell me what job would require these?? Thanks.They're free, you just need to spend enough money with them to get one:p I dont think they actually sell any and I dont know what the magic number is for getting one, but I spend a lot with them(think 20k or more) per year and they usually send me two when they print new ones.

bobw53
01-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Spend $5-8k with them a year and I only get every other edition, one copy. All I've ever received was even # catalogs. I've got 114 and 116 sitting here, 110 is kicking around somewhere, I gave 108 away a few weeks ago. I think the junk man got 112. Just every other one.

Whats the newest Catalog #???

atty
01-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Friend of mine gave me 113 last year, and I was elated. It has been sitting on the bookshelf ever since.

Since McMaster has one of the premier search engines on their site, I can look up three parts in the time it takes me to walk across the room and lift that heavy anchor. :D

lazlo
01-29-2011, 09:35 PM

Can anyone tell me what job would require these??

Plugging dykes.

sasquatch
01-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Ok, Re:wooden soled workboots,,,,
I asked an old Millwright if he,d heard of this, and he told me he thought those boots were worn while working around Blast Furnaces.
Yes-No???????????? Anyone know?

gary350
01-29-2011, 09:59 PM
You guys know that these things were being sold on ebay for some pretty good money as I recall...yes, even the old ones.

They are only given out to business so the old ones are good as gold to people like us. I bring all the old ones home too.

Weston Bye
01-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I had a look on ebay, lots of them offered, no bidders.

The #117 is probably the last one I'll get at work. I think I had the 110 for 5-6 years. Will probably retire before I get another one in the rotation.

The catalogs are free, but they are very parsimonious about handing them out. Yesterday must have been a special day because I saw two of them on our purchasing agent's desk, and I got one of them.

kyfho
01-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I asked an old Millwright if he,d heard of this, and he told me he thought those boots were worn while working around Blast Furnaces.

I don't know about 'boots', but we have wooden soled sandals that strap onto your regular work boots. And yes, they are for walking around INSIDE our furnace!:eek:

jep24601
01-29-2011, 11:18 PM
..... also used to be popular with some asphalt paving workers.

Paul Alciatore
01-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Spend $5-8k with them a year and I only get every other edition, one copy. All I've ever received was even # catalogs. I've got 114 and 116 sitting here, 110 is kicking around somewhere, I gave 108 away a few weeks ago. I think the junk man got 112. Just every other one.

Whats the newest Catalog #???

I don't think they just go by dollars spent. I have worked for many TV stations and have never had any problems getting a catalog. Last place I worked for was an AD agency (informercials) and they got two or three. I was probably the biggest customer there and I didn't spend that much.

I was really surprised when I found out that their catalogs were hard to get.

I suspect it has a lot to do with things like credit rating or how professional the company sounds on paper or if it is listed on some registry. Look like you are big time and you will get on the list. Once you are there, you tend to stay there.

RobbieKnobbie
01-30-2011, 02:33 AM
I had requested them for years and never got one. I always said I was in the engineering department when the polite operator asked my position.

This last time I told them I was in purchasing.

Maybe it was luck of the draw, I don't know, but three or four weeks later the book showed up with my name on it.