PDA

View Full Version : Elgin Lathe.. No handles?

KiddZimaHater
01-30-2011, 09:43 PM
I saw this add on Craigslist for an ELGIN Lathe:
ELGIN Lathe (http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/2182091762.html)
So where is the leadscrew?
Where are the handwheels?
Is the lathe supposed to look like this, or are there ALOT of missing parts?
Seems like there is no way to control the lathe besides the gearing and on/off switch.:confused:
Has anyone ever seen such an animal?
Just curious.

doctor demo
01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Here is a nicer picture, no lead screw. I don't believe they were meant to cut threads, second op. machine. I saw a dump truck full of them once heading for a scrap yard:eek: couldn't sneak one off the truck.

http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/photos.php?id=2667&p=1

Steve

Don Young
01-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I am not familiar with that lathe but there are a lot of lathes without leadscrews and carriage handwheels. They are mostly production machines and are sometimes called 'second operation' lathes. The lever collet closer and lack of a tailstock also point to it being a production machine. They are not for cutting threads or producing long turned areas. They can be fed along the spindle axis by the compound slide. Sometimes there is a moveable carriage that is lever controlled. They can be very accurate and fast but are not as versatile as other types.

JoeFin
01-30-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't know what that guy is smoking but he needs to share if he thinks he's going to get $1000 for that

rohart
01-30-2011, 10:48 PM
It's called a precision plain lathe.

Plain means it's not an engine lathe, so no carriage wheel. You move the carriage by hand and lock it with the handle under the bed.

Precision means you don't get all that nasty slop from the saddle wobbling about all the time.

You have to use the compound to traverse along the bed. The boring bit is getting the compound reset to be parallel to the bed after using it at an angle.

I used a Lorch like that for years. You sure learn the hard way !

Some manufacturers of these kinds of machines went on to put their leadscrews in the middle of the bed where they could be protected from swarf, and where they pulled the carriage centrally, thus needing a shorter carriage because there was no off-centre pull to be negated.

For large installations where simple work was carried out they were a very economic solution.

Anyway, it does have handles, and I think they look very good. It's the rest of the machine that looks like it forgot to dress in the morning.